Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 05:11 PM

24 posts, read 25,997 times

Advertisements

1: How does a Brighton local that runs from Bedford-Nostrand to Sheepshead Bay with B/D express service sound? 2: Does anyone realize that the Lexington Avenue/125th Street station has three-levels which will make a Q/T terminal four-levels deep? Phase-2 of that plan should NOT end at 125th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues, it should end on 2nd Avenue with an additional turnout for a future Bronx extension and a free-transfer moving sidewalk between the two. 3: If the J/Z trains terminated at Chambers Street, the T-train could use the now two unused M-train tracks on Center Street/Broad Street that already has a Brooklyn connection via the tunnel. IMAGINE THE T-TRAIN RUNNING FROM DYRE AVENUE IN THE BRONX TO 95th STREET IN BROOKLYN. 4: Then the R-train could be allocated for the long awaited tunnel under the Narrows to Staten Island connecting with the S.I.R.T. 5: I favor Metro-North Westside access and the Air Train using the Atlantic Avenue branch of the L.I.R.R. once Eastside access is up and running. 6: The Bronx portion of the 2nd Avenue subway running on Boston Post Road will have five stations; 138th, 149th, 161st, Tremont and 180th before connecting to the 5-train tracks. A Water Street extension is NOT necessary, a downtown line already exists. Save money people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 05:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Why does the T train have to go to Dyre Ave? I thought there were other possible alternatives bringing it further East and to the South. It would make more sense to bring it into a part of East The Bronx that currently has no subway service.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:29 PM

Default 2nd Avenue/t-train responce:

I want the T-train to use existing tracks, NOT build new ones. Since you live in the Bronx as I once did, then you know that the 6-train stops the expansion you speak about. I like the idea of switching the Q-train with the N-train with a terminal for it at 125th Street & 2nd Avenue NOT at 125th Street between Park & Lexington Avenues. Phase-4 of the 2nd Avenue subway has to be redesigned as follows: Forget the route under Water Street, connect the 2nd Avenue subway with the Center Street route of the J/Z-trains instead. Why build NEW track/tunnels and abandon what you already have? Lets save money. My connection would be between Houston Street and the Bowery stations where 4-tracks or the tunnels for them exist. The T-train will run side by side with the J/Z until Chambers Street then go South by itself to Broad Street and the Montague Street tunnel and end at 95th Street. The R-train would run express in Brooklyn after it crosses the Narrows from Staten Island to 4th Avenue. Its first stop would be 86th Street, then 59th, 36th, & Pacific Streets. It will run local from Court Street to Dyre Avenue at all times.

I am a lifelong N.Y.C. resident and commuter before I retired. I know N.Y.C. railroads, buses and subways very well. I was a Bridge Operator on Unionport & Pelham bridges before I transferred to Brooklyn to work the Gowanus Canal and Newtown Creek draw bridges which I loved very much. I hope you were never delayed by one of my openings, after all waterway traffic has the right-of-way.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
I think the plan for Phase II is to build both a stub tunnel for the T to potentially continue into the Bronx in the future and a terminus at 125th/Lex. If/when the extension to the Bronx is built, the T would have its last stop in Manhattan at 116th/2nd and then proceed into the Bronx while the Q would go on alone to 125th/Lex (and possibly continue under 125th to the west side).

Old 02-05-2015, 05:50 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamo-opa View Post
1: 3: If the J/Z trains terminated at Chambers Street, the T-train could use the now two unused M-train tracks on Center Street/Broad Street that already has a Brooklyn connection via the tunnel. IMAGINE THE T-TRAIN RUNNING FROM DYRE AVENUE IN THE BRONX TO 95th STREET IN BROOKLYN.
Why not just extend the (already existing) J/Z trains from Broad Street along the former M route towards Bayridge, Brooklyn?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:16 AM

The J/Z-route is too long and overcrowded to extend to Bay Ridge.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:23 AM

Isn't there enough stations on a 125th Street, why is a crosstown route necessary unless you live there.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:32 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
I think the plan for Phase II is to build both a stub tunnel for the T to potentially continue into the Bronx in the future and a terminus at 125th/Lex. If/when the extension to the Bronx is built, the T would have its last stop in Manhattan at 116th/2nd and then proceed into the Bronx while the Q would go on alone to 125th/Lex (and possibly continue under 125th to the west side).
If the last stop in Manhattan would be 116 St it seems like the plan is to go further East and South in The Bx and not up toward Dyer Ave. I remember reading somewhere of a plan to go straight under Lafayette Ave from the Longwood area all the way over to Throg's Neck. That would make more sense because it would bring the subway to Soundview,Castle Hill,Classon Point and Throg's Neck, all of which are currently deprived of subway service.One of the more transportation challenged areas of the whole city.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
1: How does a Brighton local that runs from Bedford-Nostrand to Sheepshead Bay with B/D express service sound? 2: Does anyone realize that the Lexington Avenue/125th Street station has three-levels which will make a Q/T terminal four-levels deep? Phase-2 of that plan should NOT end at 125th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues, it should end on 2nd Avenue with an additional turnout for a future Bronx extension and a free-transfer moving sidewalk between the two. 3: If the J/Z trains terminated at Chambers Street, the T-train could use the now two unused M-train tracks on Center Street/Broad Street that already has a Brooklyn connection via the tunnel. IMAGINE THE T-TRAIN RUNNING FROM DYRE AVENUE IN THE BRONX TO 95th STREET IN BROOKLYN. 4: Then the R-train could be allocated for the long awaited tunnel under the Narrows to Staten Island connecting with the S.I.R.T. 5: I favor Metro-North Westside access and the Air Train using the Atlantic Avenue branch of the L.I.R.R. once Eastside access is up and running. 6: The Bronx portion of the 2nd Avenue subway running on Boston Post Road will have five stations; 138th, 149th, 161st, Tremont and 180th before connecting to the 5-train tracks. A Water Street extension is NOT necessary, a downtown line already exists. Save money people.
Is this pie-in-the-sky stuff or has it actually been proposed and just not acted on because of the expense? A tunnel? Can't stick tracks on the V-N? I'm still stuck on the cost (esp'ly relative to benefit) of this idea.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:13 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
The J/Z-route is too long and overcrowded to extend to Bay Ridge.
I don't think the line would be too long. It is also would not be overcrowded as in Manhattan there would be a changeover of people as most passengers are going to and from Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City