Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times

Advertisements

De Bozo is a communist. He wants a tale of one city where everyone has housing if you work or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
I would like to add I am not against paying government workers, police, teachers the money they deserve. I am against paying subsidize housing for people who contribute very little back to society.

I am also not against subsidizing housing for elderly and military veterans who contributed to the development and protection of our society.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post

I am also not against subsidizing housing for elderly and military veterans who contributed to the development and protection of our society.
playing devils advocate.....why should society pay for elderly or veterans who didn't save $$ in their working lifetime?

Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
playing devils advocate.....why should society pay for elderly or veterans who didn't save $$ in their working lifetime?
Veteran can easily become disable or hindered in life due to their role in protecting the country. They deserve our support for sacrificing themselves.

Most humans are productive in earlier stage in life, once you become elderly you don't have the same ability/opportunity to contribute back to society (high earning jobs). We should at least show some mercy rather than forcing a 70 year old person to work at Walmart/McDonald to get by.

A lot of corporation are very ruthless about firing elderly high earning people in favor of cheaper and younger alternatives.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
Urban history coursework should be a universal prerequisite for college graduation.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:16 AM

Perhaps the real issue is the federal govt or military isn't doing their part in taking care of our beloved troops. It is not a city housing issue.

How much mercy as you put it is open to debate. They get SS, medicare, senior discount all over the place, etc etc. Yes, it is not enough for some which is sad.

Personally I've been saving for my retirement since I was 18 and stuffing quite a lot since then. I don't expect a handout & expect SS to blow up by the time I hit retirement age. I do feel annoyed that its a form of penalizing my saving ways throughout my life when government doles out handouts for those who didn't save.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Personally I've been saving for my retirement since I was 18 and stuffing quite a lot since then. I don't expect a handout & expect SS to blow up by the time I hit retirement age. I do feel annoyed that its a form of penalizing my saving ways throughout my life when government doles out handouts for those who didn't save.
I would think the federal reserve and corporations do more damage to your savings than any other contributing factor. When federal reserve has the ability to print money reckless and give them to corporations it devalues whatever the average person has in savings.

Federal reserve might argue they saved us from a Great Depression but they also led to the big inequality in wealth we see today.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The program you highlighted is barely used in NYC.

How Much Affordable Housing has NYC's Inclusionary Zoning Created? | Brad Lander

It won't turn into a ghost town, I can see quality of life significantly improving with less people. People will only pay for services they value rather than being force to do it by government reallocating their tax money to support welfare.
It won't have less people. Clearly the city needs low income retail workers and low income service sector jobs. They'll always keep either a certain amount of subsidized housing for them and a certain number of these people will live further out in overcrowded houses.

For any who leave town there are always others to replace them. NYC has been like this for a very long time.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Perhaps the real issue is the federal govt or military isn't doing their part in taking care of our beloved troops. It is not a city housing issue.

How much mercy as you put it is open to debate. They get SS, medicare, senior discount all over the place, etc etc. Yes, it is not enough for some which is sad.

Why are you so obsessed about what others are doing?

If you're savings are growing and you're doing fine, you need to be GREATFUL for your GOOD fortune. You could have been born to a wretchedly poor family dependent upon the government. But you weren't.

There are always going to be people less fortunate than you in the world.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why are you so obsessed about what others are doing?

If you're savings are growing and you're doing fine, you need to be GREATFUL for your GOOD fortune. You could have been born to a wretchedly poor family dependent upon the government. But you weren't.

There are always going to be people less fortunate than you in the world.
because its MY tax dollars. Yours too assuming you pay taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City