Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:55 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Also gentrification will not get rid of poverty in NY. It will push it away from the urban core more into outer lying areas and the suburbs.
I look forward to the day long island and weschester section of this forum start complaining about poor people moving in. I thought they would leave East New York to the poor, but seems like they are trying to gentrify every last inch of Brooklyn.

Quote:
Also, for poor people there are advantages of living NYC. They like it the same reason wealthy people like it. There's an excellent public transportation system, doctors are close, stores and all other things you need to do or go to in your daily life tend to be close.
I understand that, but in order for them to live here cost of living will need to dramatically decrease and only way that going to happen is if government and the city itself all of a sudden becomes way more efficient. Throwing tax payer money at the situation isn't going to solve anything.

Quote:
You can't move to another state unless you got a job lined up. Even if you got a job lined up, what happens if the town has only one employer and you lose that job? Homelessness.
Way too exaggerating. My example would be people who work middle class job in finance moving to Charlotte to work for Bank of America. NYC might be the biggest job sector, but it not the only one. You can find a lot of reasonable jobs in more affordable areas. I know a lot of people who moved to Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, Dallas, etc...

Quote:
Also unless you have friends and family in an area, you may have no support network. Moving to a place where you don't know anyone can be pretty rough for people of any age, especially as you get older.
People do it all the time. It is easier now then ever to pick up and move somewhere. How many threads are there of people coming and going? In addition, I listed people in their 30's which is still early in their careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 05:14 AM

91 posts, read 92,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. We are not talking about those 1950's urban renewal NYCHA housing projects. That Moses era model did not work. This is 2015, not 1960. There is a program in place for a few decades now called Inclusionary Housing Program and it does work, just needs more of it.

Here's an excerpt from the city's own explanation of Inclusionary Housing :

And you're ridiculous with your luxury lifestyle assertion. Most people are not living in luxury. Quite the contrary, many pay ridiculous rents for old, scruffy apartments in the city. As for your moving to another state quip, this city would turn into a ghost town if everyone that aren't rich were to leave.

There would be no restaurants, no hotels, no stores, no subways, no deliveries, no cops, no firefighters, no teachers, no nurses, no nannies, no cab drivers, no fresh direct, no dog walkers, no postal workers, no plumbers, no nothing because all or most of the workers that make a city operate would be better off living in another state. If that were to happen, even those that can afford to live in the city, would bolt as well because there would be nothing here.

A healthy city (and this is clearly a city heading in the wrong direction) has room for everybody that wants to come, live and work (or go to school) here. If the balance is not maintained, then the government needs to step in. All great cities in the world has some kind of government intervention.
A healthy city is one that generates revenue. Not like this one, that imposes absurd policies on it's workers and property owners alike. How about letting the market dictate the rate. The "government" should not be permitted to impose restrictions on the owner of a private property. It's ridiculous. If you can't afford to live here, and I can't anymore, oh well. Live somewhere else. If only the "Rich" can afford the rent(s), then that's what this city will be. In the mid 80's, I was offered a three bedroom, 2 bath apt on Ave B, near the park. The rent: $98. I laughed at the guy. The area was horrible back then. But now, demand is through he roof, and prices follow. I shouldn't have been entitled to live there forever for that measly rent. I remember when the Red Square apts, 250 E. Houston St, were under construction. We laughed, who would want to live down here, and the building stayed mostly vacant for years. Try to get in there now. The market at work...lack of demand = lower cost. As long as people will kill themselves working 3 jobs to live in a roach infested cracker box for $2500+, then the rents will remain at a premium. I should not have to subsidize the from-outta-state hoople-trendoid , who wants to play guitar in the subway, and live in NYC. But as I look around this city I'll have to admit. There is hope for those with the champagne taste, and the quarter-water budget. Give this mayor a little more time, we're trending back toward those days. The rents will be lower in no time. Come to NY...we'll house you...we'll send you to the zoo, the movies and Carnegie Hall...FOR FREE!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empireghost View Post
A healthy city is one that generates revenue. Not like this one, that imposes absurd policies on it's workers and property owners alike. How about letting the market dictate the rate. The "government" should not be permitted to impose restrictions on the owner of a private property. It's ridiculous. If you can't afford to live here, and I can't anymore, oh well. Live somewhere else. If only the "Rich" can afford the rent(s), then that's what this city will be. In the mid 80's, I was offered a three bedroom, 2 bath apt on Ave B, near the park. The rent: $98. I laughed at the guy. The area was horrible back then. But now, demand is through he roof, and prices follow. I shouldn't have been entitled to live there forever for that measly rent. I remember when the Red Square apts, 250 E. Houston St, were under construction. We laughed, who would want to live down here, and the building stayed mostly vacant for years. Try to get in there now. The market at work...lack of demand = lower cost. As long as people will kill themselves working 3 jobs to live in a roach infested cracker box for $2500+, then the rents will remain at a premium. I should not have to subsidize the from-outta-state hoople-trendoid , who wants to play guitar in the subway, and live in NYC. But as I look around this city I'll have to admit. There is hope for those with the champagne taste, and the quarter-water budget. Give this mayor a little more time, we're trending back toward those days. The rents will be lower in no time. Come to NY...we'll house you...we'll send you to the zoo, the movies and Carnegie Hall...FOR FREE!

Don't hold your breath about rents going down anytime soon. The only way rents will go down is if poperty values, property taxes and the demand for condos and coops decline, also lets not forget the rising federal interest rates if that ever happens in the next few years can have a hamper on the NYC real estate market. Another thing is the change in trends of living suburb vs urban. If the suburbs adapt to sustainable living having create downtownish town centers with office job parks and multi level apartments, plus walkable nabes with amenities? College graduates going back to the burbs can forget about moving to over priced in NYC and might just remain in the burbs that's if the burbs develop sustainability which is a possibility in the coming years ahead.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Granted you have poor people on welfare in Mississippi too.

Also gentrification will not get rid of poverty in NY. It will push it away from the urban core more into outer lying areas and the suburbs.

No city in the world has ever gotten rid of all poor people.

Also, for poor people there are advantages of living NYC. They like it the same reason wealthy people like it. There's an excellent public transportation system, doctors are close, stores and all other things you need to do or go to in your daily life tend to be close.

I had an elderly uncle who went he went to Alabama after his wife's death, he had to pay someone $100 dollars to drive him to the hospital TWO hours away for his medical care.

Yes, NYC is expensive but you get way you pay for. These so called cheap places often have poor services.

I can agree here with this. No cities can get rid of poor people, in matter of fact cities need poor people and can never truly get rid of them. Also cities attract plenty of poor people as well.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I can agree here with this. No cities can get rid of poor people, in matter of fact cities need poor people and can never truly get rid of them. Also cities attract plenty of poor people as well.
The poor person usually making something of themselves is the immigrant who came to this country from a even more impoverished area in the world, not the self entitled poor person living in subsidized housing and welfare. We don't need those poor people.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The poor person usually making something of themselves is the immigrant who came to this country from a even more impoverished area in the world, not the self entitled poor person living in subsidized housing and welfare. We don't need those poor people.
Except at least some immigrants end up in subsidized housing and welfare. And actually many people on welfare have jobs (think retail, low end services, etc.).

Part of the problem is no one ANYWHERE can get by on working a minimum wage part time job (much of the retail sector) without either welfare and/or family support.

So again NYC will never become poor person free. No city in the world has ever achieved this.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Except at least some immigrants end up in subsidized housing and welfare. And actually many people on welfare have jobs (think retail, low end services, etc.).

Part of the problem is no one ANYWHERE can get by on working a minimum wage part time job (much of the retail sector) without either welfare and/or family support.

So again NYC will never become poor person free. No city in the world has ever achieved this.
I am not arguing the validity of needing poor people in major cities. I am arguing over the structure of how we reward them and at who's expense. NYC is one of the unique places in which middle class people feel poor and some of that that has to do with how heavily taxed they are (in terms of percentage). I would rather the government gave the middle class a tax break and we find a different system of allocated resource to poor people. Force businesses to be more accountable for the welfare of their employees.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:

we should push the poor people to Mexico. Then Mexico can grapple with illegal American immigration.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/ny...T.nav=top-news

The fear in East New York is that if de Blasio's plan to allow the construction of a number more market rate units in East New York goes through it will push them out of the neighborhood altogether.
thats usually what happens.....gentrification is the most profitable form of urban redvelopment. the few affordable units will probably go to elderly and disabled people like just about every other "mixed use" project thats popped up in redeveloping cities......and we all know gentrification is a quick fast word to say urban revitilization by the rich for the rich.....and public transport access is ripe there so......*sigh* there goes the neighborhood......there will be more and more busloads of people to albany, schenectady, Newburgh, the poor parts of CT, NJ and so on in the coming years smdh

Old 02-06-2015, 01:25 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empireghost View Post
I support free market but the problem with this is that the city imposed restrictions on the supply through zoning, so therefore, if it were to completely let free market decide rate, the city wouldn't be able to function because many regular working NY'ers couldn't live in the city. Companies would be forced to leave because they would have to pay exorbitant salaries and the cost of doing business in the city would be too much. The city would then eventually fail and decline.

The key, like someone had mentioned earlier, is to let loose on what developers can build in most of Manhattan. It's because current zoning FAR's (how much space can be built) is too conservative in many areas of Manhattan that caused a domino effect (people priced out of Manhattan goes to Williamsburg, displacing people there. These people then have to go to another area a bit further away and displacing those people there and so on) throughout the rest of the city in terms of gentrification and skyrocketing housing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City