Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:43 PM

51 posts, read 72,372 times

Advertisements

I'm going to school currently to become a social worker, my soon to be husband is going to be a secondary history teacher. He has a 4 year old, we would only have him on school breaks and in the summer, some holidays. We also plan on having our own kids, probably before we graduate. I did some research, if we make around 120k a year, together, would we be able to live in Manhattan with a family of 4 or 5, comfortably? We'd also like to live in lower Manhattan, safer areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 04:27 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
You might want to ask a moderator to move your thread to the NY forums. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
A family of 4 or 5 living comfortably in lower Manhattan on 120k?

No.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:57 PM

167 posts, read 306,088 times
No, you are poor here and could almost qualify to live in the public housing projects with 5 kids.

edit : Public Housing Income Limits - New York City Housing Authority , looks like that was an exaggeration, you need 10 more children to get public housing at $120,000/yr

Old 02-07-2015, 07:09 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Using the 40x's rule the rent for an apt you can qualify the most for would be $3000, that does make it a bit difficult for alot of areas to live in manhattan unfortunately for 4-5 people. Unless you get a 2br and have 1br with bunkbeds for kids.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilynne11 View Post
I did some research, if we make around 120k a year, together, would we be able to live in Manhattan with a family of 4 or 5, comfortably? We'd also like to live in lower Manhattan, safer areas.
No.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:27 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
When people say "a family of 4 or 5" that generally includes the adults in the count.

So here.. let me guess.. this OP hopes for someday: 2 adults, 2 kids from this couple, and 1 visiting (the Dad's) weekend child.

Visiting child could use the 2nd Bedroom until more kids come onto the scene. After that, visiting child would get demoted to a shared bedroom arrangement. You'd perhaps need a 3 BR apt someday, unless you luck out with 3 of the same gender to double-bunk all 3 in the same BR.

So this is a choice: does she get to have 2 of her own children but need to move to a borough to get an affordable 3-br someday? Will the love for Manhattan cause them to scale back to one baby between them..?

Baby for a borough? Tough one.

No disrespect intended here, honestly. It ought to be that a social worker and high school history teacher, both working fulltime, which just about DEFINES middle-class.. could afford 3 children, but it's hard. When you require "lower Manhattan, safer areas" you got a lot of "no" answers here. Borough living opens up more options for you, especially to find public schools nearby for your own kids.

Try to get one of your parents excited about NYC, to live around the corner, so you don't have to buy fulltime childcare.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 02-07-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
^Usually when people say "a family of 4 or 5" that includes the adults in the count.
That's true, but my answer to her question is still no.

If we're going to dissect and analyze the situation, we would then also need to figure that the $120K she's estimating is coming from BOTH salaries. Where is the money going to come from for full-time childcare when they start having their own children?

Manhattan is extremely expensive. It's not the place for a family with 2-3 children who are squeaking by on a social worker's and history teacher's salary.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
^Henna, I agree. Do you think the borough math could work?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
^Henna, I agree. Do you think the borough math could work?
Maybe. There are 2 bedrooms apartments where I live in Queens for $2500 and there are plenty of families around. If it were me, though, I would want more than one bathroom for that many people, and apartments with second bathrooms are hard to come by, not to mention much more expensive.

Then comes the issues with the schools, although it seems to me that plenty of well-educated parents in my area are sending their kids to public schools, at least through 6th grade.

If the family were ok with a 2 bedroom/1 bath and sending the kids to public schools, it could probably work fine. It really depends on what kind of quality of life you're looking for, and how you deal with space limitations.

However, that said, I must say I know nothing about the cost of childcare before the children enter Pre-K, so that cost could easily throw a wrench into the works. I've heard good childcare is very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: