Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,720 times

Advertisements

As the title suggests(ever so subtly) I would like some advice on moving to New York. Preferably close to or in Manhattan.

Some information on myself: I am a 21-year-old male, and an aspiring artist(read; bum) who works basic jobs and enjoys life. I don't have many requirements, besides proximity to the city. I'm from Tampa, FL, born and raised. Never quite felt like it was home -- always wanting more. I'm a writer, and besides the cliche, I have always romanticized this idea of living in New York.

Any general advice is greatly(somewhat) appreciated(kindof) and any naysayers or detractors are expected.

Mucho Apreciado,

Hank Mulder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 05:58 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankMulder View Post
As the title suggests(ever so subtly) I would like some advice on moving to New York. Preferably close to or in Manhattan.

Some information on myself: I am a 21-year-old male, and an aspiring artist(read; bum) who works basic jobs and enjoys life. I don't have many requirements, besides proximity to the city. I'm from Tampa, FL, born and raised. Never quite felt like it was home -- always wanting more. I'm a writer, and besides the cliche, I have always romanticized this idea of living in New York.

Any general advice is greatly(somewhat) appreciated(kindof) and any naysayers or detractors are expected.

Mucho Apreciado,

Hank Mulder
You might want to post this in the NYC Sub-Forum. This is the forum is the General New York State Forum.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:46 AM

93,173 posts, read 123,783,345 times
When you say close, how far from NYC would you go? I'm asking because there may be some communities a train ride away, but that have their own art scenes. Beacon comes to mind.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:

Mucho Apreciado,

Hank Mulder
I would not recommend you to live in Manhattan because most place rents are too high, is simply not worth of paying all those high rent simply to live in Manhattan.

You can choose to look for place like Brooklyn or Queens, but you have to plan ahead first. First, you have to find a job first, without a job, in NYC, you can be broke pretty fast. Second, look for an apartment and make sure there's spot that's still available. You may also want to do research on neighborhood as to the crime rate and how people think of a community, you don't want to live in a community where you have to look over your shoulder every time you walk on the street worry about getting rob or becoming the next victim. Third, you have to know the public transportation in NYC because that would likely going to be the way how you commute to work and home.

It would be good if you know someone in NYC to guide you through, if not, do your research first, and hopefully you can get it through. NYC is not that easy to deal with, especially you are dealing all kind of people that you might never seen before.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
You might want to post this in the NYC Sub-Forum. This is the forum is the General New York State Forum.
I apologize. New to the forums, and I honestly have very limited knowledge on areas in New York. Promising, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
When you say close, how far from NYC would you go? I'm asking because there may be some communities a train ride away, but that have their own art scenes. Beacon comes to mind.
Preferably close enough where travel isn't out of the question... if they area itself has a nice community and abundant activities... I'd say I'd be willing to travel an hour to get to the big city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
I would not recommend you to live in Manhattan because most place rents are too high, is simply not worth of paying all those high rent simply to live in Manhattan.

You can choose to look for place like Brooklyn or Queens, but you have to plan ahead first. First, you have to find a job first, without a job, in NYC, you can be broke pretty fast. Second, look for an apartment and make sure there's spot that's still available. You may also want to do research on neighborhood as to the crime rate and how people think of a community, you don't want to live in a community where you have to look over your shoulder every time you walk on the street worry about getting rob or becoming the next victim. Third, you have to know the public transportation in NYC because that would likely going to be the way how you commute to work and home.

It would be good if you know someone in NYC to guide you through, if not, do your research first, and hopefully you can get it through. NYC is not that easy to deal with, especially you are dealing all kind of people that you might never seen before.
I appreciate your insight, and I plan on doing thorough research before doing something as insane as I'm doing. Any ideas on where to start? Now, I'm fit. I work out, and I'm a licensed gun carrier. I'm protected. But, that doesn't mean I'm out to get in trouble, or have trouble find me. But if it will enable me to live relatively comfortable while I sort out my situation, then a little crime isn't worrisome. And yes, I do plan on using public transportation(oddly, excited).

Any more insight you can share with a naive and uninformed-would-be traveler?

Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
I apologize. New to the forums, and I honestly have very limited knowledge on areas in New York. Promising, right?

Preferably close enough where travel isn't out of the question... if they area itself has a nice community and abundant activities... I'd say I'd be willing to travel an hour to get to the big city.

I appreciate your insight, and I plan on doing thorough research before doing something as insane as I'm doing. Any ideas on where to start? Now, I'm fit. I work out, and I'm a licensed gun carrier. I'm protected. But, that doesn't mean I'm out to get in trouble, or have trouble find me. But if it will enable me to live relatively comfortable while I sort out my situation, then a little crime isn't worrisome. And yes, I do plan on using public transportation(oddly, excited).

Any more insight you can share with a naive and uninformed-would-be traveler?
Heads up about guns in New York, city and state. I'm not from NYC, but I think that private citizens are very limited in carrying guns legally in NYC. You need to check that out.

Furthermore, you need to have a pistol permit to possess any handgun/pistol in NYS, and even out here in the boonies of the western Southern Tier, it takes about a year to get one, and I don't know if having an out-of-state license qualifies to get a NYS permit (like with car licenses). All handguns have to be registered and listed on your permit IIRC. Long barrelled guns do not have to be registered and you do not need a permit for those outside of NYC. However, long barrelled guns that are classified as semi-automatics have been severely restricted recently (after the Sandy Hook school massacre).

Old 02-13-2015, 12:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
The only way to be a bum in NYC is an actual dunpster diving, body fluid covered bum. There is no aspiring artist 'bum' scene there anymore unless you have an extraordinary trust fund. Like, a $3,000/month budget at bare minimum.

I would agree that Beacon has potential for what you describe. It is just over an hour away, and has a significant art scene for its small size. Alas, there's the rub. It is small, not exactly the Village in the 70 and 80s. But it is pretty nice in my opinion especially if you like hiking mixed in with your bohemian pursuits.

But make no mistake, whie it is cheap compared to NYC, it is about average in cost of living compared to most American metros while being a small city surrounded by villages and a couple of other small cities and a lot of forests and hills.

tl;dr on guns:

NYC, just about forget it. Unless you are super dedicated to having guns, the red tape isn't worth the bother. In the rest of the state, long guns are no problem, but pistol permits are required, and as Linda said, depending on your county, can be a hassle.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
I got news for you Hank, the rent is too damn high in all 5 Boros....

Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
It's not the 1950s. You can't just wander off toward NYC like Warhol or Harper Lee.
You need some cash and a plan for employment, my dear.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The only way to be a bum in NYC is an actual dunpster diving, body fluid covered bum. There is no aspiring artist 'bum' scene there anymore unless you have an extraordinary trust fund. Like, a $3,000/month budget at bare minimum.

I would agree that Beacon has potential for what you describe. It is just over an hour away, and has a significant art scene for its small size. Alas, there's the rub. It is small, not exactly the Village in the 70 and 80s. But it is pretty nice in my opinion especially if you like hiking mixed in with your bohemian pursuits.

But make no mistake, whie it is cheap compared to NYC, it is about average in cost of living compared to most American metros while being a small city surrounded by villages and a couple of other small cities and a lot of forests and hills.

tl;dr on guns:

NYC, just about forget it. Unless you are super dedicated to having guns, the red tape isn't worth the bother. In the rest of the state, long guns are no problem, but pistol permits are required, and as Linda said, depending on your county, can be a hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I got news for you Hank, the rent is too damn high in all 5 Boros....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
It's not the 1950s. You can't just wander off toward NYC like Warhol or Harper Lee.
You need some cash and a plan for employment, my dear.
While I appreciate all the patronizing, if not incredibly unhelpful posts, please assume that I'm not an idiot who doesn't know what hard work is. I'm not expecting, or wanting, a free ride or any fairy tale movie experience.

You had the decency to respond, now I ask you to have the decency of respect. If you have any real advice, I would love to take it into consideration.

Thank you,

Hank

Edit: ABQConvict, while you did come off as condescending in the beginning, you actually gave some good advice and shared some information. Mucho apreciado friend.

Last edited by HankMulder; 02-14-2015 at 02:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: