U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2015, 03:39 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 3,004,403 times
Reputation: 972

Advertisements

What does would a contiguous area constituting hip, gentrified and gentrifying Brooklyn include? What would the population of this area be? (Maybe use the city's Community Districts?)

There's definitely a perception now that Brooklyn is dominated by yuppies and hipsters, but demographically Brooklyn as a whole looks more like Queens than it does Manhattan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2015, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Between the Bays
10,780 posts, read 9,370,216 times
Reputation: 5219
Anything east of Flatbush ave and north of Eastern Pkwy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2015, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,231 posts, read 19,982,790 times
Reputation: 8236
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
What does would a contiguous area constituting hip, gentrified and gentrifying Brooklyn include? What would the population of this area be? (Maybe use the city's Community Districts?)

There's definitely a perception now that Brooklyn is dominated by yuppies and hipsters, but demographically Brooklyn as a whole looks more like Queens than it does Manhattan.

This is true. People belive that Brooklyn is fully gentrified. In fact Brooklyn is still Brooklyn and a good portion of the borough is still poor and not part of the New Brooklyn which is the posterchild of American gentrification. I can only tell you that Hip areas of Brooklyn is located from Greenpoint Brooklyn and stretches to probably as far south as Redhook or the border with Sunset Park, and probably as far East as Bushwick and Crown Heights which is not so hip but the gentry cant not afford to live in hip areas and have to move further out. Again I don't think their is nothing hip about Redhook, Sunset park or Crown Heights. I don't live in Brooklyn but I do visit often to visit relatives and friends and they live smack in the areas that are supposed to be changing and I cant not compute the data of how much of Brooklyn has become gentry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 8,726,692 times
Reputation: 3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is true. People belive that Brooklyn is fully gentrified. In fact Brooklyn is still Brooklyn and a good portion of the borough is still poor and not part of the New Brooklyn which is the posterchild of American gentrification. I can only tell you that Hip areas of Brooklyn is located from Greenpoint Brooklyn and stretches to probably as far south as Redhook or the border with Sunset Park, and probably as far East as Bushwick and Crown Heights which is not so hip but the gentry cant not afford to live in hip areas and have to move further out. Again I don't think their is nothing hip about Redhook, Sunset park or Crown Heights. I don't live in Brooklyn but I do visit often to visit relatives and friends and they live smack in the areas that are supposed to be changing and I cant not compute the data of how much of Brooklyn has become gentry.
Red Hook is attracting the gentrification crowd very quickly. Some sections pretty much are extensions of Cobble Hill now. Sunset Park is still working class latino hood though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 AM
 
Location: NYC
17,539 posts, read 11,175,424 times
Reputation: 20992
Only a few sections of Brooklyn are gentrified, the rest are still heavily immigrant, segregated, and poor.

Have to pay me to live in Red Hook, the road conditions are awful. Good luck getting the snow plow trucks to plow the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 02:27 AM
 
25,543 posts, read 19,634,140 times
Reputation: 10018
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Only a few sections of Brooklyn are gentrified, the rest are still heavily immigrant, segregated, and poor.

Have to pay me to live in Red Hook, the road conditions are awful. Good luck getting the snow plow trucks to plow the area.
While Ft. Greene has some beautiful parks, restaurants, and cafes the NYCHA projects are still there and that's a lot of ghetto that isn't going anywhere. And this is a part of Brooklyn that is considered HIP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 06:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: NYC
46,070 posts, read 45,129,853 times
Reputation: 14963
Maybe all of western Brooklyn north of Sunset Park, with a map of gap in South Williamsburg or NW Bed-Stuy (where the J/Z train goes through). Maybe there's two gentrification centers: one centered around the fanciest parts of Brownstone Brooklyn (northern Park Slope?) and near downtown Brooklyn and another centered around hipster Williamsburg by Bedford Ave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Between the Bays
10,780 posts, read 9,370,216 times
Reputation: 5219
Most specifically, anywhere along the L line from Bedford to Halsey are seeing new so called "hip" faces everyday. They love that train. Also the Nostrand stop on the A/C line and anywhere in Clinton Hill.

As for places like Prospect Heights, Fort Greene, Park Slope and BoCoCa, these aren't very "hip" (at least anymore), just more affluent white families.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 07:52 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 3,004,403 times
Reputation: 972
2 ZIP code maps:

This Jewish community study includes 11201, 11215, 11217, 11231 as "Brownstone Brooklyn":

http://d4ovttrzyow8g.cloudfront.net/589153.pdf

This report on Northwest Brooklyn also adds 11205:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...006chp-202.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
29,748 posts, read 28,344,389 times
Reputation: 12787
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Most specifically, anywhere along the L line from Bedford to Halsey are seeing new so called "hip" faces everyday. They love that train. Also the Nostrand stop on the A/C line and anywhere in Clinton Hill.

As for places like Prospect Heights, Fort Greene, Park Slope and BoCoCa, these aren't very "hip" (at least anymore), just more affluent white families.
I wouldn't put Fort Greene and Park Slope in the same category. Habana Outpost still draws a very young, hip crowd and Afropunk still takes place in the neighborhood. Plus, BAM will always give it a more artsy, hip type of vibe. Also, as someone upthread already mentioned, there are still enough "dangerous people" within close proximity to provide just enough edge.

I remember having an argument with a middle-aged, suburban white man in this forum a couple of years ago who considered FG to be too rough and dangerous with too many poor people. That's how you know it doesn't belong in the same bucket with Park Slope.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top