Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,106 times

Advertisements

There are certain areas of this city where people will just walk out in the middle of the street against a red light take their time by strolling ever so slowly and glaring at the driver the entire way. These people are begging to be run over so they can sue.

They day's of the pedestrian always has the right of way needs to end. That law was meant to be used responsibly by both parties and pedestrians clearly take advantage of this because they know they can sue whomever, get away with it and paid at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
You would need independent witnesses to back that up for a collar. If that's the case then why not lock up every pedestrian that gets struck while jaywalking?
Right, they aren't going to be locking drivers up without that.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
more sillyness... unless there is severe negligence no one should go to jail for an accident...

Why ruin the bus drivers life over that accident? he's been driving for many years, he obviously had NO INTENT of hurting anyone...but yea lets ruin his life and career and keep overcrowding our prisons over sillyness..

So many laws that lack basic common sense. That bus driver is no danger to society.
Isn't failure to yield negligence (and negligence is, by definition, accidental)? As a driver, you have a duty to follow the law and drive reasonably. If you hit a pedestrian because you failed to yield to the pedestrian (either because you didn't take care to see the pedestrian who had the right of way or because you were driving too fast to stop quickly enough), you're breaching that duty. Note, failure to yield necessarily implies fault on the part of the drivers; people who run into the street right as the bus is passing, at which point the bus, even if going the speed limit, wouldn't have a chance to stop, aren't what this law has in mind.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:26 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Isn't failure to yield negligence (and negligence is, by definition, accidental)? As a driver, you have a duty to follow the law and drive reasonably. If you hit a pedestrian because you failed to yield to the pedestrian (either because you didn't take care to see the pedestrian who had the right of way or because you were driving too fast to stop quickly enough), you're breaching that duty. Note, failure to yield necessarily implies fault on the part of the drivers; people who run into the street right as the bus is passing, at which point the bus, even if going the speed limit, wouldn't have a chance to stop, aren't what this law has in mind.
Unfortunately this law will still protect those people.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
There are certain areas of this city where people will just walk out in the middle of the street against a red light take their time by strolling ever so slowly and glaring at the driver the entire way. These people are begging to be run over so they can sue.

They day's of the pedestrian always has the right of way needs to end. That law was meant to be used responsibly by both parties and pedestrians clearly take advantage of this because they know they can sue whomever, get away with it and paid at the same time.
That behavior is infuriating, but drivers who don't slow down in the face of such behavior don't get off the hook either. Even if pedestrians didn't have the right of way, reasonable drivers should slow as to try avoid running into such fools if doing so is safe, which it often is.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Not to mention the kamikaze cyclist who conpletely ignore traffic regulations all together, and cabs, driving a truck in NYC is a real test of sharpness.
Thankfully the NYPD seems to be cracking down on those cyclists. I, for one, always follow traffic laws while biking. If I'm in a hurry to cross against a red light, I'll walk by bike in the adjacent crosswalk to get to the other side.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
It's time to install dash cams. A small investment can avoid lots of headaches.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
As someone with a cdl who drives large commercial vehicles in midtown everyday, and I happen to take it very seriously and go out of my way to be carefull when turning, going through intersections etc. I could say it's usually the pedestrians fault. The number of people walking with their heads down, with headphones on, crossing against the don't walk, not looking in the street, jaywalking is unreal, I go out of my way to be cautious, I could never live with killing someone, and even I have had a few close calls, people really take no personal responsibility for their surroundings. Most of these vehicles have Huge blind spots, that even if your turning slowly, with the green, and paying attention, you could easily lose a person to a blind spot. This law is ridiculous and a shame. Obviously no one wants to hit someone. If the guy is speeding or blowing lights etc by all means arrest him, but majority of the time, an accident is an accident, nothing more nothing less
Bingo. Pedestrians are almost always the ones at fault. Punish them. Drivers should even sue dead pedestrians for the damage to their cars.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Bingo. Pedestrians are almost always the ones at fault. Punish them. Drivers should even sue dead pedestrians for the damage to their cars.
Plenty of reckless drivers out there.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Plenty of reckless drivers out there.
Yes, there are. But as a careful driver myself, I've found the reckless pedestrian behavior much more dangerous to me as a driver than other drivers' behavior. This is mainly driving on local streets in congested areas in Queens. I'm sure it's much the same in Manhattan.

When pedestrians walk like crazy people in front of your car when you're driving and have a green light, not only do you have to worry about not hitting them, but you also have to be aware of all the other cars on the road so that you don't, say, stop short in the middle of a green light intersection due to a pedestrian suddenly appearing in front of you. When you do something like that and the driver in a car near you isn't expecting it (because they probably can't see the pedestrian like you can), it creates a dangerous driving environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: