Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New York worth it?
Yes, I think you should go New York. 9 39.13%
I think you should go to Philadelphia instead. 2 8.70%
It would be better if you opt for Chicago. 2 8.70%
I wouldn't go to New York if I was you. 6 26.09%
You're out of luck. You'll need to figure something else out. 1 4.35%
You're basically screwed, Bro. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 04:39 PM

33,792 posts, read 46,999,857 times

Advertisements

OP, what's your budget?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 04:44 PM

24 posts, read 34,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Let's ask a quick question here-

How much money you got?

NYC Housing is roughly twice Philly and Chicago.

I love New York more than the other two- but my Salary would be better in Chicago and I'd move there if I had to go back to living in an Urban setting.

People on these forums want to talk $$$ when it comes to NYC.
If you're not established here, housing costs may come as a shock.
I have a savings account of about 8 grand that I've earned through side hustles and chopping my paycheck in half over the last 2 years. I imagine that would cover rent for a couple of months until I find a stable job. Of course, if I do need a bit of financial assistance; than I can rely on the family that I have there provided that I go NY. But I wouldn't need that if I went to Philly or Chicago.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:04 PM

3,942 posts, read 5,051,022 times
Question 2 -

What line of work are you in?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Question 2 -

What line of work are you in?
Like I said, I'm a teenager but I turn 18 this august. I mostly worked service jobs jumping between them here and there. I plan to find something to hold and support myself in that city until I turn 21 where I am able to become a Firefighter (provided that I'm not in the military because as I said, this whole relocation thing is a Plan B.) Amtrak in particular (I'm 98% sure here) takes 18 Y/Os with High School diplomas for their Conductor jobs which is part service and part mechanics job. I also enjoy the fact that I'll be riding a train all day so yeah . Chicago in particular is the epicenter of the US railway industry so that would be a plus for that but the Northeastern corridor is slightly busier because of the megalopolis (DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York & Boston.)

Old 02-16-2015, 06:41 PM

814 posts, read 907,703 times
Wow NYC really is for the fruit loop transient liberal types. If you think paying 3 times the national average for a hole in the wall that you would most likely have to share with people you don't even know is worth it then God bless ya.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Wow NYC really is for the fruit loop transient liberal types. If you think paying 3 times the national average for a hole in the wall that you would most likely have to share with people you don't even know is worth it then God bless ya.
This is what I suspected. There is a trade off for every city and the cost of living in NYC is one of if not the highest in the country.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:19 PM

814 posts, read 907,703 times
The real NYC died 20 years ago, most folks who live in the city today are not from New York originally, CBGB's is gone, if you're in finance and wanting a high profile career NYC is great but beyond that it's just a big city with big city problems.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:23 PM

3,942 posts, read 5,051,022 times
I'd pass on NY if I were you.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:50 PM

I appreciate all of your input. But I need some details if that's okay. Is it because of the issues I have with it or because of other issues external to the ones I brought up?

Old 02-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
The real NYC died 20 years ago, most folks who live in the city today are not from New York originally, CBGB's is gone, if you're in finance and wanting a high profile career NYC is great but beyond that it's just a big city with big city problems.
I understand this as well. I heard that Manhattan is about 90-95% transplant. Nobody there is from Manhattan and if they were born and raised there, then there parents weren't from Manhattan. Manhattan is dead and Brooklyn has already been diagnosed with the case of the Gentrification. Queens might have some symptoms but aside from Astoria and LIC, I read that its doing okay. Staten and Bronx are sanitary from that as well. Unlike other potential "transplants", at least I have connections to NY rather than just parachuting in because I'm an American. The poll I took though, it seems that some people are pretty damn open to me coming over there but if I had some issues with it than it probably wasn't safe as some here have pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City