Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I can spot the non-native New Yorkers (people from elsewhere in America) a mile away on the subway in NYC.

They tend to be blonder, paler, somehow seem happier and smiley-er, are wearing either very preppy clothes (both men and women) or very unfashionable clothes, often in pastel colors, and seem to have a very different attitude than New Yorkers.

They seem very...American.
This is exactly it.... and my fiancee is from Kansas City. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
1. The OP is a weirdo.

2. The vast majority of NYC residents show through their voting patterns that they have no clue what it means to be American. The United States Constitution has no place in this city according to most of its inhabitants. They want the government to dictate everything, which is not freedom by any measure of the word.

So no, NYC is not an American city, except for the fact that it undeservedly enjoys the protections and prosperity which come with being a part of the greatest country in the world.
NYC is the financial capital of the nation (and world).

Btw, since you mention looking forward to retiring, all pension plans invest money in the financial markets (bonds, stocks, and other securities). Where are the financial markets centered?

NYC.

Voting for a Democratic mayor means we have no clue what it means to be American? The nation recently reelected a Democratic President.

People take political stuff way too serious and way to far. I would never say people who vote differently have no clue what it means to be American, even if I disagreed with their vote. In fact, I would say being this antagonistic against those who hold different political views from you violates the concept of what America is supposed to stand for.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
OP raised a valid question and I don't understand all the uproar.

As a born and bred NYC'er, with immigrant parents, I can emphatically say that NYC is NOT America.

NYC is a culture unto its own. CA and the southwest may have tons of immigrants as well but they (as in the city/state cultures) are decidedly more American in nature.

If anyone disagrees with me then you simply haven't ventured "far" outside of NYC. You don't even have to go that far. Go to Connecticut, Vermot, Maryland, Delaware, etc.

With all of the influx of transplants, Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn have definitely a more American feel but forget about the rest of NYC. lol It's a zoo out there. It's not America.
I have been all over the nation.

And NYC is America.

Come to think of it you don't have that many immigrants in the core parts of NYC. Not Manhattan south of 96th Street, not downtown or Western Brooklyn and not even Western Queens these days. Immigrants are increasingly being pushed out to the Bronx, to Eastern Queens, South Brooklyn, Long Island, and Jersey.

NYC is the nation's financial and cultural capital. The influence that NYC has over the nation's fashion and music rivals no other city in the US. And NYC recently topped Los Angeles in television pilots.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
DeBlasio is a democrat only because no one from the american communist party has a chance of getting elected.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
Umm, my two statements weren't contradictory. Do you feel that you were making a point or something? In this very thread it's been confirmed that some New Yorkers do not primarily identify as being American. Are you even from New York? I don't understand why you and some other people here are being so aggressive and argumentative.
This thread has not confirmed anything. It's just a thread, and not representative of a city.

What nationality could New Yorkers consider ourselves? I was born in NYC. So my passport is AMERICAN.

There is no New York passport. You do not need a visa to come to NYC from the rest of the country.

And as for ethnicity, someone born in NYC could say that they are Italian, Brazilian, etc, but they are referring to ethnicity/heritage, NOT their NATIONALITY (unless they have dual citizenship).

Old 02-24-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I can spot the non-native New Yorkers (people from elsewhere in America) a mile away on the subway in NYC.

They tend to be blonder, paler, somehow seem happier and smiley-er, are wearing either very preppy clothes (both men and women) or very unfashionable clothes, often in pastel colors, and seem to have a very different attitude than New Yorkers.

They seem very...American.
You always had some white people in NYC. So you can't look at a white person and say he isn't from NYC.

As for clothes, anyone can wear whatever clothes.

You have no proof that these people who stereotype as being non New Yorkers are from somewhere else.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
My parents are from Dominican Republic and I was born in nyc so I consider myself American regardless.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:44 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You always had some white people in NYC. So you can't look at a white person and say he isn't from NYC.

As for clothes, anyone can wear whatever clothes.

You have no proof that these people who stereotype as being non New Yorkers are from somewhere else.
I do! Because I often ask them, "Are you guys visiting? Where are you from?" (believe it or not, contrary to stereotype, New Yorkers are relatively friendly and you can chat with a stranger on the subway if you want to, or at least exchange a few words).

And I am always right. Invariably, when I ask them this, they will answer, "Oh, we're visiting from Kansas." Or "We're from Texas". Or occasionally, "We just moved here from Colorado."

It's not just that they are white.
There are plenty of white people in New York. In fact, NYC may be majority white (I don't know the statistics.)

It's the "type" of white person they are.
Usually blonde or light-haired (why is that? Is there pressure for non-blonde women, for example, outside of NYC to lighten their hair?).

Ethnically, many white people in NYC are Ashkenazi Jewish, Italian, and increasingly, from the former Soviet Union.

We don't have that many WASPs or Scandinavians or people of German descent.

Also, it's not just their ethnicity. It's their attitude. Kind of sunny and happy and looking slightly naive

Of course, not all New Yorkers are fashionably dressed (although I will say we tend to dress better/more fashionably than many other American cities I've been to).

If a New Yorker isn't dressed fashionably, they're not going to dress like these people I see on the subway (with the pastels and the unisex clothing for men and women, the preppiness, etc. New Yorkers who are dressed down will simply wear jeans and a T shirt, often a dark colored T shirt Or sweats. Fashion and styles are different here, it seems.

Last edited by Shoshanarose; 02-24-2015 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: correct grammar

Old 02-24-2015, 05:47 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
DeBlasio is a democrat only because no one from the american communist party has a chance of getting elected.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
It's not just that they are white.
There are plenty of white people in New York. In fact, NYC may be majority white (I don't know the statistics.)

It's the "type" of white person they are.
Usually blonde or light-haired (why is that? Is there pressure for non-blonde women, for example, outside of NYC to lighten their hair?).

Ethnically, many white people in NYC are Ashkenazi Jewish, Italian, and increasingly, from the former Soviet Union.

We don't have that many WASPs or Scandinavians or people of German descent.
Actually you'll find a lot of old time NYers of German descent. Same with Irish and Polish. All of which have many blondies in there population makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City