Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Even if you're a young professional starting out at $30k-$40k, it still seems like it would be a stretch. I'm assuming most of these people have no car and live in the hood? How do you make it on such low wage in NYC?
It would be very hard without other family or extended family/friends that can help. Today, New York caters to Rich. Middle income folk are sucker punched with taxes, in some shape or form in NYC. Did you know NYC wants us to pay to cart our garbage away? The poor who have managed to remain are hanging on by a thread. Some of them are content some not so much, that's why they leave.

Market rate apartments + are the majority in the city. Good luck with your endeavors.[/quote]

The OP was asking how does the bottom part of the labor force survice in NYC. Market rate apartments in the Bronx are paid for by government programs.

And there are huge parts of the city that are in no danger of gentrifying, including Harlem and Spanish Harlem. A huge chunk of the apartments in Upper Manhattan are NYCHA, especially East Harlem.

The poor are in no real danger in the Bronx as that would take fantastic amounts of private sector investment to gentrify that ghetto. Gentrification, when it rarely occurs just moves poor people further away from the urban center but they don't really go far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM

Apartment takes Section 8.

$1200 / 1br - BRAND NEW GORGEOUS 1 BEDROOM APT IN UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS (UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS)

BRAND NEW GORGEOUS 1 BEDROOM APT IN UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS

$1200 / 1br - GORGEOUS 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT IN WALTON AVENUE (WALTON AVE)

Again, takes Section 8.

GORGEOUS 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT IN WALTON AVENUE

There are many listingss for apartments in the Bronx, the bad parts of Brooklyn, and the bad parts of Queens (such as parts of the Rockaways) that take Section 8 or other welfare programs.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Yes and right alongside those ghettoes are high falut'n high rises smack dab in the middle. I had to leave after having been born and raised there because I could no longer afford it. Twenty one years ago, I left and it is certainly on a rebound now. Brownstones in Harlem at one point (those run down places) fetch upwards of $1MM and more.

272 Malcolm X Blvd, New York 10027
$4,899 | House for Rent

381 W 125th St, New York 10027
$3,400 | Condo for Rent

182 Claremont Ave, New York 10027
$2,600 | House for Rent

So much for ghetto HARLEM!
And how much rent are people paying in the NYCHA units or other welfare units in Harlem?

Oh, and not all the new units are expensive, either. A public school on the George Washington projects was turned into low income housing for artists . They are also building an new high rise there, also low income housing.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What are you talking about decent dude?

We're speaking off how to do people at the bottom of the labor market survive.

Of course they don't get decent! They'll take what they can get or go homeless.

You can't get decent off a working class job in the city, but you can get a place to stay and even an apartment of your own.
I'm not a dude. I'm a woman, fyi. When I say decent, I mean somewhere where you'll get heat and the exterminator will come around every once in a while. Anyone can live in a whole in the wall (LES) East Village tenement flat but is it DECENT? What kind of stupid question is this? What do I mean by decent?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Apartment takes Section 8.

$1200 / 1br - BRAND NEW GORGEOUS 1 BEDROOM APT IN UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS (UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS)

BRAND NEW GORGEOUS 1 BEDROOM APT IN UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS

$1200 / 1br - GORGEOUS 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT IN WALTON AVENUE (WALTON AVE)

Again, takes Section 8.

GORGEOUS 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT IN WALTON AVENUE

There are many listingss for apartments in the Bronx, the bad parts of Brooklyn, and the bad parts of Queens (such as parts of the Rockaways) that take Section 8 or other welfare programs.
Individual must already have SECTION 8. And individual who has Section 8 is not the only individual with Section 8. You're not speaking to the OP's concerns with the original post. Comparing TODAY, with the salary mentioned. TRY AGAIN.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
And how much rent are people paying in the NYCHA units or other welfare units in Harlem?

Oh, and not all the new units are expensive, either. A public school on the George Washington projects was turned into low income housing for artists . They are also building an new high rise there, also low income housing.

You so stuck on NYCHA? You live there? Listen people are paying what they already pay which goes according to their income. Sound jealous to me. You downgrade and belittle lower income people incessantly here. There must be something to that.

Let's address the OP's concerns for TODAY. Not ten years ago when someone firs t got called for NYCHA and some of them still are. But the priority is for HOMELESS. Homeless people and families get first crack at NYCHA. NYCHA has waiting lists that I spoke of before.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:42 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Why are you getting so defensive over a factual statement?

I personally don't care, but this is something you'll have to deal with yourself.

In a city where nearly one out of 5 people get food stamps, and over 3 million get medicaid.

This implies the vast majority of minimum wage people get some sort of benefit.

You are making it look like everyone who is low income is begging uncle sam for something, and I'm telling you that is untrue, so whatever to what you are talking about. Some of us don't ask the government for anything and we survive, because we work.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
You are making it look like everyone who is low income is begging uncle sam for something, and I'm telling you that is untrue, so whatever to what you are talking about. Some of us don't ask the government for anything and we survive, because we work.
This! Exactly. Denigrates others trying to make a living even if they are low income. As if it's a sin.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
It would be very hard without other family or extended family/friends that can help. Today, New York caters to Rich. Middle income folk are sucker punched with taxes, in some shape or form in NYC. Did you know NYC wants us to pay to cart our garbage away? The poor who have managed to remain are hanging on by a thread. Some of them are content some not so much, that's why they leave.

Market rate apartments + are the majority in the city. Good luck with your endeavors.
The OP was asking how does the bottom part of the labor force survice in NYC. Market rate apartments in the Bronx are paid for by government programs.

And there are huge parts of the city that are in no danger of gentrifying, including Harlem and Spanish Harlem. A huge chunk of the apartments in Upper Manhattan are NYCHA, especially East Harlem.

East Harlem Gentrification [PHOTOS] - Business Insider

Gentrification: From an East Harlem Perspective | The Source

East Harlem Filmmaker Turns Lens on Gentrification - East Harlem - DNAinfo.com New York

Harlem Gentrification : Curbed NY
GRASPING FOR STRAWS.

The poor are in no real danger in the Bronx as that would take fantastic amounts of private sector investment to gentrify that ghetto. Gentrification, when it rarely occurs just moves poor people further away from the urban center but they don't really go far.[/quote]

http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/cours...ion_harlem.pdf

PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU READ.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:48 PM

168 posts, read 349,262 times
Quote:
This! Exactly. Denigrates others trying to make a living even if they are low income. As if it's a sin.
I gave up arguing about this several pages ago. This person has it in his head that everyone who doesn't make a ton of money is living large on plentiful government subsidies, and goes straight to the front of the line for free luxury housing and big bags of tax-free cash. You will never change his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City