Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times

Advertisements

Just read the thread and surprised that no-one is mentioning Hoboken as an option.
Maybe it's because it's quite expensive? But a great place to live. One square mile right on the other side of the Hudson river. Takes about 5 to 6 minutes to get to Christopher Street in the Village on the PATH, 5 minutes to get to the World Financial Center and about 11 minutes all the way to 34th street (walkable to Time Square and right next to the enormous Herald Square Macys). Plus the Ferry service to the Financial district, Midtown and Uptown (between 5 to 10 minutes).

A studio will rent for between $1200 - $1950/ month. A one bedroom is between $1400 - $2200 and a two bedroom rents between $1800 (railroad apt) - $4000.
You can get a nice 2 bedroom place for about $2300 for around 1200 sqft, hardwood floors, granite/ stainless steel appliances, etc.

Hoboken is a one square mile city with more restaurants than you know what to do with and numerous bars and cafes. The waterfront is lovely with parks overlooking the Manhattan skyline where they have free open air movies during the summer and trendy bars and restaurants.

There are lots of new construction luxury apartments and many pre war buildings and brownstone multi and single family homes, etc.

It's definitely worth checking out for people who want to be close to Manhattan without actually being in it!

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 22,730 times
hallo henna.do you live in astoria?are you greek?i asked you because i have heard that in astoria live many greeks.do you think astoria is a safe place?and something else.are rents really so high?
thank you.bye

Old 02-20-2008, 03:49 AM

6 posts, read 95,042 times
I am a 25 year-old black female, who will be in New York for three months from the end of July – October. I am looking for a studio or small one bedroom apartment in the ranges of $1200-$2000 a month. Ideally I would like to live in Manhattan but if this is not possible then would consider one of the outer-boroughs 15-20 minutes away on the subway. Im am looking for a safe, clean and vibrant urban area, that will allow me to get the feel of being a permanent resident in New York. There must be easy access to amenities like grocery stores, dry cleaners, restaurants close by.
As I plan to be mainly in Manhattan and occasionally in Brooklyn with my family, I am looking for an area that is homely with nice, reasonable modern accommodation but would not effect my traveling.
Which neighborhoods should I consider?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 33,956 times
Default Young Couple seeks apartment advice

Hi everyone. This is my first post but I've tried to do research before hand so as not to waste anyone's time.

My wife and I (late 20's) will be moving to NYC in the next couple of months and would like advice about where to live. Our requirements/preferences are the following:

Cost: up to $2500 a month, but preferably closer to $2000 (We make slightly over 100K/year)
Size: Ideally two bedrooms
Pets: We have a 55 lb lab mix
Location: Penn station is the closet stop to my work and I'd like less than a 30 min commute.
Amenities/Style: Would really like in-apartment washer/dryer, close to affordable shopping (no Saks for us!), grocery, and good ethnic restaurants. As a comparison, we are considering Jackson Heights b/c of the diversity we have read about and its large selection of restaurants. We would prefer to be in Manhattan, but don't mind being off it as long as the commute isn't too bad. We are looking for something with lots of character (think independent cafes, great bars, art galleries), but is safe, has other young professionals and close to green space for our dog. I'm sure like most people, we really like hardwood floors, exposed brick, etc., anything with lots of character.

For our budget and preferences, is it possible to find anything in Manhattan? After looking at craigslist and other resources, it doesn't really seem like we will be able to find this in Manhattan, but have I missed a neighborhood? What about places in Queens or Brooklyn?

Many thanks for your time!

MapleRadio

Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleRadio View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post but I've tried to do research before hand so as not to waste anyone's time.

My wife and I (late 20's) will be moving to NYC in the next couple of months and would like advice about where to live. Our requirements/preferences are the following:

Cost: up to $2500 a month, but preferably closer to $2000 (We make slightly over 100K/year)
Size: Ideally two bedrooms
Pets: We have a 55 lb lab mix
Location: Penn station is the closet stop to my work and I'd like less than a 30 min commute.
Amenities/Style: Would really like in-apartment washer/dryer, close to affordable shopping (no Saks for us!), grocery, and good ethnic restaurants. As a comparison, we are considering Jackson Heights b/c of the diversity we have read about and its large selection of restaurants. We would prefer to be in Manhattan, but don't mind being off it as long as the commute isn't too bad. We are looking for something with lots of character (think independent cafes, great bars, art galleries), but is safe, has other young professionals and close to green space for our dog. I'm sure like most people, we really like hardwood floors, exposed brick, etc., anything with lots of character.

For our budget and preferences, is it possible to find anything in Manhattan? After looking at craigslist and other resources, it doesn't really seem like we will be able to find this in Manhattan, but have I missed a neighborhood? What about places in Queens or Brooklyn?

Many thanks for your time!

MapleRadio
I think you'd do better posting this as its own thread rather than at the end of the sticky. At least for me, I never (except today) check the sticky since I am not looking for advice on living here, and if everyone is posting questions on the sticky it's hard to sort out whose questions are being answered...

In your price range you'd be hard-pressed to find much in Manhattan. Even 1-BR goes for more than $2500 in many areas. I like Jackson Heights a lot but, based on what you say you're looking for I'm not sure it's for you. It has some great old apartment buildings and some restaurants but not as much in the way of independent cafes, great bars, art galleries, or young professionals. I'd suggest taking a look in Brooklyn, over by Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens along the F train (Bergen St./Carroll St. stops) on Smith St., or along Atlantic Ave. from the water to the Atlantic/Pacific stop, down near Grand Army Plaza, or Fort Greene. The 2/3 trains to the Penn Station area go there, as do the A/C (Hoyt/Schermerhorn, Lafayette Ave). From Smith St. you could take the F to Jay St and switch to the A. You might find 2 BR, especially if the second bedroom is smaller and primarily for use as an office or something.

Anywhere you look you'll run into landlords who won't like the idea of the dog, and you'll also have some trouble finding w/d in the apt, but in Brooklyn there are some 3-story houses that have w/d in the basement for the use of the 3 apartments, or something like that.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 92,464 times
In a nutshell, you can barely rent a small rat trap studio for under 2,000 per month. Sad but true, I've lived there almost 2 decades and feel sorry for my lawyer and doctor friends that are paying 4,000 per month plus for something you can get anywhere else in the U.S. for around $700 per month. The only thing that keeps them throwing their money out of the window is to fall prey to the belief that all the culture and rat race excitement is going to make them whole and complete. Most end up spending their hard earned money on cocaine and other vices just to handle the stress of their jobs and politics that come with living in the so called "center of the world". Just a warning, it does come with a price. As they say, "nothing in life comes for free".

Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 AM

99 posts, read 609,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggur View Post
In a nutshell, you can barely rent a small rat trap studio for under 2,000 per month. Sad but true, I've lived there almost 2 decades and feel sorry for my lawyer and doctor friends that are paying 4,000 per month plus for something you can get anywhere else in the U.S. for around $700 per month. The only thing that keeps them throwing their money out of the window is to fall prey to the belief that all the culture and rat race excitement is going to make them whole and complete. Most end up spending their hard earned money on cocaine and other vices just to handle the stress of their jobs and politics that come with living in the so called "center of the world". Just a warning, it does come with a price. As they say, "nothing in life comes for free".
So what's the cost for something decent? And by decent, are people describing Will and grace/ Friends style apartments that are 3 times the size of most apartments?

it'sweird that 2 grand barely gets you in the door, but 4 grand = lawyer pricing... I guess 3 grand is the sweet spot..

Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,061 times
Everyone wants to believe that when they come to NYC, it'll all be like Seinfeld or Will & Grace. . . . the sad truth, is that with rent as high as it is and buying pretty much "out" for anyone earning less than $150K, it winds up being much more like "Sid & Nancy".....LOL!!!

The nightlife & culture are definitely selling points, and you CAN get clothing & food rather cheap, comparatively speaking, but the real estate prices more than overshadow any savings you would get in those areas.

Here, it's considered completely normal for thirty-somethings to STILL be living at home, because going their own way almost ensures they'll have not much to live on, after rent is paid....

Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 AM

28 posts, read 53,868 times
I am moving from Charlotte, NC to NY in October or November. I have been doing a lot of research, but have one question...maybe someone could help me out. I am planning on going up w/ a chunk of money to live off of for at least 3 months, and dive into the job hunt once I get up there (I have heard that employers are skeptical of hiring someone who is planning to move, because too often people never actually do). That being said, don't most rentals require proof of income?

Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke711 View Post
I am moving from Charlotte, NC to NY in October or November. I have been doing a lot of research, but have one question...maybe someone could help me out. I am planning on going up w/ a chunk of money to live off of for at least 3 months, and dive into the job hunt once I get up there (I have heard that employers are skeptical of hiring someone who is planning to move, because too often people never actually do). That being said, don't most rentals require proof of income?
Yes, the conundrum. They pretty much always do. You might do better getting a post office box in NY (with a private one, as at MailBoxes Inc., you can have an actual NY street address) and putting that address on your resume so employers think you're already here. I'd recommend doing all you can to get a job lined up before you come here, even if you have money saved.

If you look at shares, most roommates don't ask for proof of income but they will probably ask what your job is and would prefer to give the room to someone employed even if you're solvent for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City