U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 04:53 PM

14 posts, read 17,609 times

Advertisements

The rule in my building says "the floors of each apartment must be covered with rugs or carpeting to the extent of at least 80% of the floor area of each room, excepting only kitchens, bathrooms, closets, and pantries."

I assume this means the entire floor area, not just the floor area not already covered by furniture. Is this correct?

Also, anyone know if hallways are in general covered by the 80% rule?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,462,660 times
Practically every lease in nyc has this in the lease BUT it isnt enforced. Dont worry about it, i tell all my clients that its the least of your concern and its only put on there just in case people below you start complaining they can turn to the landlord\management company and look at the lease and say hey put some carpeting for padding-sound proofing purpose.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:42 AM

444 posts, read 327,043 times
yea its never enforced, I lived in a coop on top floor, had a rug on maybe 10% of the apt. As long as you're not stomping around and no one complains its fine. If they do complain well THEN You can put rugs.

Now i live on 1st floor and have no carpet at all, i find them a pain to clean.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:12 AM

169 posts, read 258,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuretoo View Post
The rule in my building says "the floors of each apartment must be covered with rugs or carpeting to the extent of at least 80% of the floor area of each room, excepting only kitchens, bathrooms, closets, and pantries."

I assume this means the entire floor area, not just the floor area not already covered by furniture. Is this correct?

Also, anyone know if hallways are in general covered by the 80% rule?

Thanks.
The "spirit of the rule" is intended to mean 80% of the floor that isn't already covered by furniture, i.e. 80% of the floor area you are potentially walking on. Hallways included.

I even cover my kitchen floor, because I know all too well how miserable it is to have someone stomping above your head, so I don't want to be "that guy." My downstairs neighbors, everywhere I live, say they hardly know I'm alive because I'm so quiet. My upstairs neighbors, however, never return the favor, choosing instead to take the "I will do what I want, when I want, and if you don't like it, MOVE" attitude.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:39 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,933,609 times
I've never heard of anyone trying to dissect the percentage, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for not having the exact percentages.

Here's the deal: The goal is to never, never have your downstairs neighbor complain about you. So you do whatever you must. I've managed to do that without any carpeting at all.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 PM

169 posts, read 258,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've never heard of anyone trying to dissect the percentage, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for not having the exact percentages.

Here's the deal: The goal is to never, never have your downstairs neighbor complain about you. So you do whatever you must. I've managed to do that without any carpeting at all.
I did the same exact dissection the first time I moved into an apartment with a real lease. It's not an uncommon question.

The goal is to make sure that most of the surfaces you will be walking on are covered, because it's the courteous, considerate and decent thing to do for your downstairs neighbor.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 AM

14 posts, read 17,609 times
Thanks to everyone who answered.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:35 PM

4,540 posts, read 4,288,281 times
You'll only be bothered if you make a lot of noise or have a very sensitive neighbor below you.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:08 AM

89 posts, read 101,452 times
When I bought my co-op, I had to put down a move-in deposit. They would not release the deposit back to me until they saw that I had rugs down on the majority of the floors. It's an older building and the rugs do a lot to dampen the floor noise. Now that I'm in there and have my deposit back, I'm thinking of changing the carpets and getting smaller one. This is mostly due to the fact that I bought them quickly and am not all that happy with them. Plus, instead of a 9x12 for the bedroom, I want to get much smaller carpets that just cover the areas where I'll walk. I wish I had done it to begin with but whatevs. Moral of the story, as long as you don't have any deposit tied up and aren't making noise, do what works best for you.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:17 AM

22 posts, read 25,069 times
Even if you don't put any carpeting on the floor there is pretty much NOTHING the landlord can do about it. For those of you who don't know, NYC housing courts are OVERWHELMINGLY in favor of tenants. There is no law that requires you to have any carpeting. So the reason why most if not all apartments don't enforce these is because there is nothing to enforce.

They would only have a valid case against you is if you make an excessive amount of noise and multiple neighbors are complaining. Even then it'll be pretty difficult to evict you. And if you are making that much noise to begin with no amount of carpeting will help you.

Last edited by Firepac; 11-07-2016 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
View detailed profiles of: