Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm chinese (native nyc), but I have to say mainland Chinese immigrants are the worst in the subway.

I agree that although the midwest transplant hipster is midly annoying, at least they all have nice American midwest manners. Thats why they make great waiters.
And great news and broadcasters too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:

Often there is no stair option,
Not true, only people too dumb to find them.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Why do so many women just love hugging the pole in the subway train? It is one of the dirtiest thing to do. It's mainly short women that likes to hug or lean against the hole then they give you a bad stare if you try to hold on to the same pole.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
People with bags!

They are my biggest pet peeve...You know who you are!!

These are the people that have just come from shopping, for the most part, and they have several large bags. I also see it amongst women with purses who are just on the train and haven't come from shopping. These folks will occupy another seat either in front of them, or next to them, with their baggage. And then when they know that people are looking for seats, most of the time they will not voluntarily remove their bags. They start staring downwards, pretend they're sleeping, stare out of the window, etc, and act completely oblivious. Oooh, this irks me! They behave selfishly and don't seem to care about the fact that that people have a right to sit down, and that the extra seat does not belong to them or their belongings...

Unless you have paid an additional fare so that your bag(s) can have a seat, then you NO RIGHT to block a seat for your things.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why do so many women just love hugging the pole in the subway train? It is one of the dirtiest thing to do. It's mainly short women that likes to hug or lean against the hole then they give you a bad stare if you try to hold on to the same pole.
Well, I'm short and I can say that I do this (eg hug the pole..but I don't give an evil stare) from time to time.

I'm 5'2" and my arms hurt attempting to hold on to the overhead hand metal bars that on the trains. There aren't any extra seats, and certainly no man is going to get up and volunteer his seat. So, I need something to hold onto and it's usually that pole. Holding on to it from afar is uncomfortable, so I hug the pole. Granted, I'm not sliding up and down it, and certainly don't try to hog it from other passengers. I only get irritated when people keep sliding their hands up and down on the pole and touching mine. I guess this is inevitable, but I don't like having other people touch my hands on trains. It makes me feel icky.

Go figure .

Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
What do you guys think about strollers in the subway?

Me, I personally try to avoid bringing a stroller on the train if I can out of courtesy. I will try to take alernative means if possible (Ferry, walk, drive etc).
If I do take the subway with my infant, I use a Bjorn carrier. If there is no other choice, I will at least collapse the stroller and carry the kid.

My wife on the other hand, has no problems jamming the stroller into a packed subway train.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:

Me, I personally try to avoid bringing a stroller on the train if I can out of courtesy. I will try to take alernative means if possible (Ferry, walk, drive etc).
If I do take the subway with my infant, I use a Bjorn carrier. If there is no other choice, I will at least collapse the stroller and carry the kid.

My wife on the other hand, has no problems jamming the stroller into a packed subway train.
I wouldn't subject my infants to that especially during rush hour. Makes everything feel third world whenever people do that.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:

When my son was an infant, I had him strapped to my chest the 2-3 times he was on the train. The only time he went in a stroller on the train was when we went to the Bronx Zoo (not during rush hour), and we took the train so the kids could get the full BX experience. Taking a stroller on the train sucks.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-06-2015, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Strollers USED to be a tolerable pain in the ass but NOW some of them are the size of a Cadillac Escalade and filled with children, clothing, toys, groceries. Like portable day-care centers.

The rules for dragging them into subway cars should be the same as for bikes, primarily this one:
Quote:

Bicycles cannot block aisles or impede passenger movement.
Make that MORE stringent than for bikes because they are so much larger.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 PM

664 posts, read 807,220 times
The rules for strollers on the subways is that they're supposed to be FOLDED at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City