Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 PM

624 posts, read 982,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The hood has a very, very, depressing feel.
I felt this immediately the time I visited the neighborhood. Its very depressing and gloomy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:02 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Must be hell to get around in the winter with all the hills

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-11-2015, 12:27 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
is there abandonment in HB? was there abandonment there in the 70's and 80's?
No. It's not abandoned. It's very residential with 6 storied buildings, brick towers, and single family houses. There are these tall towers that have their Direct TV satellites hanging out of literally every window. Highbridge is the epitome of ratchet.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:02 AM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
It felt like a place for drug addicts and recovering drug addicts.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:43 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
It felt like a place for drug addicts and recovering drug addicts.
It is. I'll leave it at that.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:12 PM

273 posts, read 672,517 times
Wow I didn't get that feeling when I visited it crossing from Washington Heights over to Highbridge.

First off there are some positive developments - Shakespeare Ave has a nice community garden, there are some lovely pre-war apartments near the bridge and I likes the rolling hills. I saw landlords fixing up apartment building.

The areas around Yankee Stadium are good too with the renovation of the parks and general area.

However, I understand the negative reviews. As you go east toward Jerome it does get kind of slovenly looking the retail area and the housing stock is quite uneven (again though there are some lovely block intermingled with unpleasant ones).

It is an area that to me should never have gone downhill so far and thankfully it seems some improvements are occurring and hopefully more with the opening of Highbridge Park.

I have not been there at night but I will say the worst most unsafe areas of the city I EVER felt were in small sections of Manhattan - Harlem around the 126th Metro-North station though well-lit is very sad and not at all safe, St Nicholas as you walk toward 125th has tons of ill-managed public housing or SROs and Lenox between 125th - 135th is depressing.

I do not know the Bronx as thoroughly as some of you but from what I have seen there are Tons of potential.

I will say if you want something surer but in an improving neighborhood that is affordable - Morris Heights to the north with the areas off Burnside is nicer overall with its housing stock but rents have been rising for the past few years (though reasonable compared to the rest of the city)

Old 02-09-2017, 04:43 PM

43 posts, read 100,346 times
I live in that area and it's not like everyone is painting it out to be. It's not the greatest but I wouldn't be worried about being out at 8pm. It's the hood so if you're out late then yes, you should watch your back.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:52 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COA2017 View Post
I live in that area and it's not like everyone is painting it out to be. It's not the greatest but I wouldn't be worried about being out at 8pm. It's the hood so if you're out late then yes, you should watch your back.
Was it tough getting around there today?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-09-2017, 05:40 PM

43 posts, read 100,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Was it tough getting around there today?
It was not too bad. Lots of snow but the super cleaned the snow. My whole block was clean at least.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:48 AM

47 posts, read 40,260 times
Well the times i've visited (my dad used to live there) it wasn't nearly as bad as some people in this forum put it out to be. At least i never felt unsafe at any moment.

The last time i went was in april of 2016 and i didn't get that ghetto feeling. To me it was just another highly populated residential neighborhood of the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City