Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 10,769 times

Advertisements

Please!!!!!!!!! Highbridge is the safest place in the Bronx I used to live there in projects 1135 university 170th and Ogden is SAFE that whole area , of course if you want to look like a billboard at any place in a community you will be approached by the less fortunate , less likely to happen in highbridge......

You will see some drug addicts , but they just bug out on the corner what you need to worry about is outside of highbridge Jerome avenue , Walton avenue ... those are the hoods outside of highbridge where the train is at , but the area highbridge pleaaaaseeeee you're fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 PM

377 posts, read 509,040 times
Highbridge was once a lovely neighborhood with a healthy housing stock. Sadly it has deteriorated and it does have a depressing feel to it. When it snows, it is difficult to get around because of the many hills.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,783 times
I don't know if this thread is still active, but I'm thinking of visiting Highbridge next month. I lived there from 1955-1974. It was getting rough in the 70's, but for the most part I felt safe because it was my hood. Now I'm 62 and I'd like to walk over the Highbridge and visit my old school and church, Sacred Heart, and our old hangout, Merriam Park, but I don't know if that's advisable. It would be on a weekday in the daylight in Sept. if I chance it. (I don't want to be a 'mark'. Still street savvy, but it's not like I got the moves! I'm just a little white woman, lol) Sadly, the building I grew up in was razed back when the Bronx was burning and my street, University Avenue, is now MLK. It looks like West 168th Street (the second apt. bldg. I lived in) is right across from Sienna House Homeless Shelter. So, I don't know. It all sounds depressing! I haven't been back since 1975 and had accepted I couldn't go 'home' again. Guess I'm just feeling nostalgic. I'll probably just do the Manhattan/Times Square tours like a tourist when I'm in NYC. (That feels weird, too. Another life, I guess).

Old 08-20-2017, 01:20 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeejH55 View Post
I don't know if this thread is still active, but I'm thinking of visiting Highbridge next month. I lived there from 1955-1974. It was getting rough in the 70's, but for the most part I felt safe because it was my hood. Now I'm 62 and I'd like to walk over the Highbridge and visit my old school and church, Sacred Heart, and our old hangout, Merriam Park, but I don't know if that's advisable. It would be on a weekday in the daylight in Sept. if I chance it. (I don't want to be a 'mark'. Still street savvy, but it's not like I got the moves! I'm just a little white woman, lol) Sadly, the building I grew up in was razed back when the Bronx was burning and my street, University Avenue, is now MLK. It looks like West 168th Street (the second apt. bldg. I lived in) is right across from Sienna House Homeless Shelter. So, I don't know. It all sounds depressing! I haven't been back since 1975 and had accepted I couldn't go 'home' again. Guess I'm just feeling nostalgic. I'll probably just do the Manhattan/Times Square tours like a tourist when I'm in NYC. (That feels weird, too. Another life, I guess).
That's great that you have moved out of there, though.
But you know what, if you have the desire in you, you should go visit. If anything, just walk around the area and have an Uber ready to pick you up. Go during the daytime. Take the uber to and from when you're ready to leave. Then come back and post about it - personally, I'd love to read about it.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:54 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I have taken the subway there on a weekend with a friend in order to walk across the Highbridge to Washington Heights. It seemed to be an okay place during the daytime hours.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:41 PM

377 posts, read 509,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeejH55 View Post
I have thought of visiting as well. I too went to Sacred Heart School...when I attended Sr. Justin was the principal followed by sr. Delphina. Please post if you do decide to go. Good luck?

Old 10-28-2017, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyslap03 View Post
Please!!!!!!!!! Highbridge is the safest place in the Bronx I used to live there in projects 1135 university 170th and Ogden is SAFE that whole area , of course if you want to look like a billboard at any place in a community you will be approached by the less fortunate , less likely to happen in highbridge......

You will see some drug addicts , but they just bug out on the corner what you need to worry about is outside of highbridge Jerome avenue , Walton avenue ... those are the hoods outside of highbridge where the train is at , but the area highbridge pleaaaaseeeee you're fine
Yes I agree. Highbridge is safe if you go during the day. I also attended Sacred Heart School and graduated in 1973. I lived on 170th and Nelson Ave. I also worked near the area until 3 years ago as a teacher so am familiar with the area. I have friends who have children that attend Sacred Heart today. I would recommend that you visit the area with a friend. It’s always better to have company. Great to visit the old neighborhood!

Old 11-01-2017, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,696 times
Saw this thread and some of the responses and I knew I had to talk about my hood lol I grew up in Highbridge. Also went to Sacred Heart School, graduated 2009. Went to All Hallows’ HS down by Yankee Stadium.Lived in the big white building (1131), moves to Kingsbridge for a year, then moved back and lived in Anderson Avenue. When I was growing up there in the 00’s and early 10’s, it wasn’t the most perfect place. There was gang activity, people I know would get jumped from time to time. I remember hearing about a shootout at a park just up the hill from my building. It’s getting a lot of noteriety nowadays with the rise of rap stars like Cardi B and A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie who grew up not too far from where I lived. Everytime I mention I’m from Highbridge, people quote an A Boogie song to which I roll my eyes lol

But yes, it’s not the most perfect neighborhood but it’s not the worst from my experience. It’s like any other Bronx neighborhood. It has its good qualities and it’s bad. Overall, I think you’ll be fine. I used to walk around the neighborhood alone in a Catholic school uniform and nobody ever bothered me or tried to rob me. Just always be aware of your surroundings. Use street smarts, know who and where to avoid. Also i hope you’re used to walking up steep hills and stairways lol the neighborhood has a lot of friendly people. I used to be an altar boy at Sacred Heart Church, so when I come back and visit I see a lot of the people I went to school with or who I went to church with. The neighborhood is mostly Blacks, Dominicans, Boricua’s, basically blacks and Hispanics.

Also for those who went to Sacred Heart, when I went there we went through four principals I believe. There was Ms. Walsh, Mr. Smith, Ms. Suarez, and Ms. Akano. And that was all in the span of 9 or so years. Our pastor was Father Michael Sepp until he unfortunately passed in 2009 from cancer. I was in 8th grade. Now Fr. Joseph Franco is the pastor.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:09 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
How is this area in 2023, post covid?

Would you reccomend walking around in the day?

Old 09-24-2023, 05:03 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
How is this area in 2023, post covid?

Would you reccomend walking around in the day?
new buildings poppin up on Ogden. They got a Pizza Hut.. that's it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City