Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
OP: if you come to L.A. admin. assts can get on as personal assistants to industry people(film/tv). Or work in law firms, etc.. Since you're a writer, L.A. can be a good fit depending on what you write. The choices on that front should be obvious to you. NYC is expensive. L.A. somewhat less so..Ubering around is fairly cheap. That said..if you end up working on sets..YOU WILL NEED A CAR, FULL STOP. If you plan on actually playing gigs as a musician..CAR.

If for some reason you're blocked from driving..go to NY.
The expensive of either place is completely irrelevant if she doesn't have a JOB.

The most important thing is where can she secure gainful employment and it would be in her best interest to have a job lined up or have at least serious prospects before moving.

She has contacts in both cities, so she'll be going to her support networks for whatever help she can get. Perhaps someone can host her until she's establish, or rent out a room to her at a low price.

A number of people have moved to either LA or NYC and left after a few months because sufficient work never materialized. A move to either city requires some planning, and one would need to test the job market by applying to jobs in either city before coming.

When I was in Los Angeles, a lot of the assistant jobs (because so many people wanted them as a way to earn money while working out their art) were ridiculously low paying. This isn't every assistant job in LA, but this is certainly many of them so the OP may want to consider the quality of day jobs available to her in either place.

And the parts of LA close to the entertainment industry are not cheaper than NYC. I mean the OP could find cheaper rent in NYC if she moved to Staten Island or the North Bronx but why do I doubt she would consider either place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 01:16 PM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
I recently moved from NYC to LA so I feel like I have a fairly good handle on both.

If you have any interest in writing for film/TV, LA is where you want to be, hands down. The music scene is comparable in both cities so that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

As far as public transport goes, most people's opinion of LA's public transport is based on how it used to be, but it has really been changing (especially on the East side of town... The West side isn't fully caught up yet). As a young person who is into the arts, you're probably going to want to be based on the East side anyways: DTLA, West Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, etc. All of these areas have access to the Metro and bus system. There's also the Metro Link train. Uber and Lyft are also very popular here and pretty affordable for someone who doesn't have to pay the cost of owning a car.

Even though LA has a rep as being a non-walkable city, I find the East side again to be very walkable. I can easily walk to restaurants, yoga, bars, liquor store, parks, and groceries in my neighborhood of Silver Lake.

I was born and raised very close to NYC and lived in the city for 7 years. I always felt like I wanted to be outside, but that there weren't enough outdoor activities for me. Sure, I could go to Central Park or Prospect Park, go for a walk along the East River, or just walk around cute neighborhoods and window shop. But as someone who really loves the outdoors, I love that I can easily go hiking at many different spots, go to the beach, or go sit on the grass at the Griffith Observatory for a few hours reading a book and taking in the views. I can do these things year-round here, and not just a few precious months out of the year. I find winters depressing in NY so I am happy to not have to deal with them anymore.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 PM

237 posts, read 329,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The expensive of either place is completely irrelevant if she doesn't have a JOB.

The most important thing is where can she secure gainful employment and it would be in her best interest to have a job lined up or have at least serious prospects before moving.

She has contacts in both cities, so she'll be going to her support networks for whatever help she can get. Perhaps someone can host her until she's establish, or rent out a room to her at a low price.

A number of people have moved to either LA or NYC and left after a few months because sufficient work never materialized. A move to either city requires some planning, and one would need to test the job market by applying to jobs in either city before coming.

When I was in Los Angeles, a lot of the assistant jobs (because so many people wanted them as a way to earn money while working out their art) were ridiculously low paying. This isn't every assistant job in LA, but this is certainly many of them so the OP may want to consider the quality of day jobs available to her in either place.

And the parts of LA close to the entertainment industry are not cheaper than NYC. I mean the OP could find cheaper rent in NYC if she moved to Staten Island or the North Bronx but why do I doubt she would consider either place?
completely untrue. North Hollywood(where I am as I post this) is near everything and much cheaper, rent-wise, than anything in the 5 boroughs except maybe SI. Noho is a decent spot. If you've been here, you know where Warner bros, disney, etc are in relation to noho, correct? also, hollywood proper is a 10-min drive. West side(where sony/fox is) is accessible via the 405 freeway from here. same with manhattan beach. DTLA isn't a player as far as industry hub stuff, at least not yet. OP would do well with the ole monthly nut here.

The quality of day jobs are roughly equal, unless OP wants to work in finance.

If it comes down to it, OP could wait tables/bartend. those jobs are easy to come by in either city. I'd recommend, if OP has people in both places, can find a friend to stay with, and can afford the plane fare, go and spend a month in NY, and a month in L.A. then make a decision.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
completely untrue. North Hollywood(where I am as I post this) is near everything and much cheaper, rent-wise, than anything in the 5 boroughs except maybe SI. Noho is a decent spot. If you've been here, you know where Warner bros, disney, etc are in relation to noho, correct? also, hollywood proper is a 10-min drive. West side(where sony/fox is) is accessible via the 405 freeway from here. same with manhattan beach. DTLA isn't a player as far as industry hub stuff, at least not yet. OP would do well with the ole monthly nut here.

The quality of day jobs are roughly equal, unless OP wants to work in finance.

If it comes down to it, OP could wait tables/bartend. those jobs are easy to come by in either city. I'd recommend, if OP has people in both places, can find a friend to stay with, and can afford the plane fare, go and spend a month in NY, and a month in L.A. then make a decision.
How do you know the OP has the luxury of staying with one friend in one city, and one friend in the other city? How do you know she has the money saved up? She may have to get the ground and immediately work.

I have stayed in LA, and it's not really cheaper. Not if you factor in not having a 24 hour train system. Also there isn't a central business district so if you take public transportation it could be a bus to a train to a bus. Spending hours commuting on public transportation isn't fun in LA, and automobile costs can quickly add up especially if you have to drive long distances.

Bartending jobs in NYC are not easy to come by. The best places want experienced bartenders in a NYC sense. And if you aren't making much money in a restaurant or bar, enjoy living in the Bronx or some other ghetto (I've known restaurant staff to do this).

You really have to be honest about what your real prospects are in any place you're considering a move to, what kinds of jobs you can get, and what your standard of living is. Only the OP knows her resume, knows what if any friends are willing to host her, knows how much money she has saved up, and knows the results of her current job search in both cities.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I recently moved from NYC to LA so I feel like I have a fairly good handle on both.

If you have any interest in writing for film/TV, LA is where you want to be, hands down. The music scene is comparable in both cities so that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

As far as public transport goes, most people's opinion of LA's public transport is based on how it used to be, but it has really been changing (especially on the East side of town... The West side isn't fully caught up yet). As a young person who is into the arts, you're probably going to want to be based on the East side anyways: DTLA, West Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, etc. All of these areas have access to the Metro and bus system. There's also the Metro Link train. Uber and Lyft are also very popular here and pretty affordable for someone who doesn't have to pay the cost of owning a car.

Even though LA has a rep as being a non-walkable city, I find the East side again to be very walkable. I can easily walk to restaurants, yoga, bars, liquor store, parks, and groceries in my neighborhood of Silver Lake.

I was born and raised very close to NYC and lived in the city for 7 years. I always felt like I wanted to be outside, but that there weren't enough outdoor activities for me. Sure, I could go to Central Park or Prospect Park, go for a walk along the East River, or just walk around cute neighborhoods and window shop. But as someone who really loves the outdoors, I love that I can easily go hiking at many different spots, go to the beach, or go sit on the grass at the Griffith Observatory for a few hours reading a book and taking in the views. I can do these things year-round here, and not just a few precious months out of the year. I find winters depressing in NY so I am happy to not have to deal with them anymore.
I overall didn't like LA enough to live there long term. I'm from NYC and I just like NYC as a city better, plus I'm just better established here. If I need to go out to LA for some important event I'll do so, and but I cannot imagine ever spending more than a few months out there at a time.

Not that the OP should let my preferences as such affect her. I don't know, maybe she's got a good deal coming in Los Angeles.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 PM

13 posts, read 12,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Love at first type.
wah wah

Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_the_inhaler View Post
What kind of music? Just you and a guitar or keyboard? Full band? Computer/Electronic? Do you have a particular goal in mind? In NYC you're never more than a stone's throw away from a fairly accomplished musician and maybe with another throw, away from someone with a connection somewhere (for instance someone who could get you a gig or an engineer/producer that can put together a much stronger recording than you could ever do yourself). If you can't drive (you should probably learn anyway) you'll be better off in NYC for obvious reasons. You really want to be able to live on next to nothing to keep your options open and going into debt in service of a car will be a ball and chain.
Hip hop soul. Just me at the moment, I'd get a band eventually. I do have a goal in mind, yes
What you say is what attracts me to NYC, though I imagine it wouldn't be that different than LA?
I agree on driving, though honestly if I were to choose LA I'd move to Noho like another poster suggested and/or buy a scooter.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You'll probably need to budget $1500 per month minimum on rent for a decent place with subway access in either Queens or the Bronx. More like $1700 or $1800 would be better. I have no idea what rent places are like in LA so can't compare.

One thing that did change in the 5 years you've been away is that rents have really gone up a lot.

If you arrive without a job, you'd probably have to start out in a roommate situation because landlords in NY are not too flexible with potential tenants who can't prove they make 40x the income (for a $1500 apartment that would be $60,000 per year gross).
I was hoping to find one of these places in Harlem/Concourse/somewhere further out in the Bronx or Queens that go for a bit less, not just to save money, but also in case I had to work at a job that paid less.

From what I see Noho in LA is around $1000 a month. I do know rent has gone up indeed, though it went up 10% in the last few years in LA too.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
OP: if you come to L.A. admin. assts can get on as personal assistants to industry people(film/tv). Or work in law firms, etc.. Since you're a writer, L.A. can be a good fit depending on what you write. The choices on that front should be obvious to you. NYC is expensive. L.A. somewhat less so..Ubering around is fairly cheap. That said..if you end up working on sets..YOU WILL NEED A CAR, FULL STOP. If you plan on actually playing gigs as a musician..CAR.

If for some reason you're blocked from driving..go to NY.
Good point, thanks seansean! One friend is actually trying to convince me to come to LA for the same reason: I'm a writer. I doubt i'd ever work on a set though, though who knows.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

True, writerdude. I will be applying. I think I might apply for jobs in both cities and ask them for replies via email just to test the waters. But from what I understand, North Hollywood area is a bit cheaper than NYC. Another option of course for NYC is...NJ.

What is Staten Island like BTW? Never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: