Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:11 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Again, cite a legitimate self-defense case in the home where a murder charge resulted. If you can prove that is the case in NYC, I'll stop being naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 05:37 AM

116 posts, read 220,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Cite a legitimate self-defense case in the home in NYC that resulted in a murder charge.
Who said it had to happen in the house or on anyones property? I was never alluding to being shot at happening in doors. Seven out of ten times, dudes are pulling out on eachother in the street homles. Where do you live at LOL?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 AM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
In nyc very few are allowed to carry off premise so self defense off premise should never be an issue. Only residence permits are given out.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
In nyc very few are allowed to carry off premise so self defense off premise should never be an issue. Only residence permits are given out.
Exactly. I'm not concerned with "dudes pulling out on each other". The best outcome for situations like that is both of them dying anyway.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 PM

57 posts, read 178,656 times
Default Rifle Permit

I agree its a shame to have to jump thru so many hoops just to pocess a .22 cal rifle in the confines of NYC, but the gun culture in New York is that it just wants thugs to pocess guns illegally and not let law abiding people to own a gun especiallyl the scarely the black looking rifles.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswr View Post
Has anyone gone thru the process of obtaining a permit for a rifle in NYC. I will be inheriting a collectors rifle from my father soon and would appreciate any information concerning the process to pocess it legally in NYC.
Move out of the city! You just need to pass the NICS check for any long gun in the rest of the state. However, check the list of "guns you can't own in the state at all" on the SAFE ACT list. Cuomo has it so some guns cannot be passed down, but a lever action .22 is not probably going to be on the list.(We have several .22 cal. lever, one a Henry Golden Boy and one a Winchester, they are not on any list... but lord only knows where this will go down the line.)

Old 03-10-2015, 02:38 AM

why would anyone want to move just to save the fee on a rifle permit ? does that make sense to you ?

if they wanted to or could move for other reasons they would have done so.

my wife and i pay the city for 2 permit fees plus a rifle shotgun fee and moving because of it to long island and paying 15-20k in real estate taxes and commuting to work would make zero sense.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
What about an antique weapon (just incase the rifle is like a real 1860s Henry Repeating rifle)?

I read something from 2009 that you dont need a permit if you dont store ammo for it, (statewise: if ammo is out of manufacture) but its really hard for the average person to find clear information on the Internet in regard to NYC. i.e. Im not sure if thats just a state law, and if so, if its now out-dated.

If the OP has true documented antiques, and has no interest in actually shooting them, just wants to display them - how does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Again, cite a legitimate self-defense case in the home where a murder charge resulted. If you can prove that is the case in NYC, I'll stop being naive.
I remember Mayor Koch on TV ages ago saying the gun would be confiscated as an illegal gun (not-permitted), but if its truely self-defense in your own home no criminal charges would result. But, that was a long time ago, and in todays political climate, I wouldnt want to have to test the theory.

If you can afford to, why not permit the gun? Seems silly to risk criminal charges over an inconvenience.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 03-10-2015 at 05:09 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM

There was a case in Brooklyn in 2003 I believe where a Navy-vet recently returned from service used a gun in self-defense which he legally purchased while serving but never registered in NYC. He was only charged with a misdemeanor gun possession charge because the self-defense shooting was justified under NY state law.

There is no Second Amendment right in NYC. All guns are supposed to be owned with permission of the police department, which is 100% unconstitutional no matter what NY's liberal judges say. Unfortunately the NRA has mostly written us off and Alan Gura has so far chosen to avoid suing NYC, so the laws stand even though they are anti-American.

Look at one of the "Constitutional Carry" states if you want to see what the Framer's intent was.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
What about an antique weapon (just incase the rifle is like a real 1860s Henry Repeating rifle)?

I read something from 2009 that you dont need a permit if you dont store ammo for it, (statewise: if ammo is out of manufacture) but its really hard for the average person to find clear information on the Internet in regard to NYC. i.e. Im not sure if thats just a state law, and if so, if its now out-dated.

If the OP has true documented antiques, and has no interest in actually shooting them, just wants to display them - how does that work?

I remember Mayor Koch on TV ages ago saying the gun would be confiscated as an illegal gun (not-permitted), but if its truely self-defense in your own home no criminal charges would result. But, that was a long time ago, and in todays political climate, I wouldnt want to have to test the theory.

If you can afford to, why not permit the gun? Seems silly to risk criminal charges over an inconvenience.
it would not qualify

Exempt from permit and certificate of registration requirements
are antique rifles and shotguns incapable of being fired or discharged or which do not fire fixed ammunition or those weapons manufactured prior to 1894 and replicas for which fixed ammunition is not commercially available.
Also exempt is any unloaded muzzle loading pistol or revolver
with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system, or a pistol or revolver, which uses fixed cartridges, which are no longer available in the ordinary channels
of commercial trade. This includes replicas. A license would be required to possess these handguns when the ammunition necessary to discharge them is possessed simultaneously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: