Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 PM

6 posts, read 9,122 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I just got a job in Manhattan at a university in Morningside Heights. I will not get a housing benefit, but my salary will be $180,000 annually. I am in my fifties, white, married, no children. Looking for an apartment in West Harlem, Upper West Side, Morningside Heights. I am comfortable with transitional neighborhoods but my spouse, who is not American, is not comfortable with street insecurity (we live in Latin America and have been traumatized by bad past experiences with street crime). A few questions:

(a) is $3,000 a month -- tops -- a reasonable budget for a two bedroom, reasonably nice apartment in these neighborhoods? I am thinking between 800 and 1000 square feet. We will have many visitors in NYC and need that extra bedroom to house them..
(b) is Harlem worth considering? I am too old to be an urban pioneer -- and would make easy pickings for street crime, given my age -- and would like contemporary opinions on the safety of west Harlem these days.. (Many of the posts I've seen seem to date back to 2008 or so.. have things changed significantly?)
(c) how safe is the area just north of City College of New York on Amsterdam? I've seen reasonably-priced apartments in that area but wonder if there's a catch..
(d) are there other neighborhoods close to Morningside Heights that I should be considering?

Our life style is urban. We're used to livable streets, going to cafes for lunch and to work in the afternoons, we both like to jog and really love to cook and eat well.

Thanks to all for any insights you can provide. Any advice is well-received! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Convent is better than Amsterdam, also some of the side streets. Broadway and Amsterdam remain quite seedy and there are major project blocks. Many new restaurants have opened on Broadway and Fairway is right there but we would not live there.

If not Convent and environs, if you are at St. Luke's, I would look on Morningside Avenue and FDB.

I would keep west of St. Nicholas Park unless you consider the school building on St. Nicholas - very nice and solid building. They had two-bedroom apartments around your budget. You could still probably walk to work and the subway is downstairs and half a block.

If you post more specific places as you look I will give my opinion.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:59 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times
Avalon Morningside Park Apartments - New York, NY | Zillow

313 W 105th St APT 4A, New York, NY 10025 is For Rent | Zillow

Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
The area is totally fine and is actually a great place to live. Lots of new places to eat/drink and large apartments/houses. Also a very beautiful area. Try and lock something in while you can.

I recommend between 140th Street and 150th Street, between Broadway and Edgecombe.

See you around!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,122 times
Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! This is so helpful! Ernie G thanks a lot for posting those specific buildings -- they give me much more of a sense of what is doable.. Harlem Resident, thanks for the street-specific information. WhyRUMad your confidence is inspiring.. Thanks to all!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM

431 posts, read 659,674 times
Stay away from Broadway and Amsterdam. When I lived in NYC I lived on Amsterdam and it was very seedy at night. Convent is a really nice and quiet. Hope you find something.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
Stay away from Broadway and Amsterdam. When I lived in NYC I lived on Amsterdam and it was very seedy at night. Convent is a really nice and quiet. Hope you find something.
Agree.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM

This is an okay building if you like "new" but over-priced, in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:48 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_whimsical1 View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! This is so helpful! Ernie G thanks a lot for posting those specific buildings -- they give me much more of a sense of what is doable.. Harlem Resident, thanks for the street-specific information. WhyRUMad your confidence is inspiring.. Thanks to all!
You're welcome. Glad you're real and appreciate that you say thanks. Many people don't!!!!

Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Washington Heights just north of Morningside Heights might be worth a consideration. Generally, the idea is to stay West of Broadway and things are quite nice. Even nicer if you are along or west of Fort Washington Avenue. There's the bougie real estate name Hudson Heights for that general area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City