Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 PM

5 posts, read 26,580 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im 22 years old, i reside in brooklyn NY and attend Kingsborough Community College. I lived with my grandmother for the last two years and in spetember she Died. I am not on the lease, and I guess i dont have any legal right to the apartment due to that (correct me if im wrong). I haveno other relatives I can go to so i wanted to know if anybody knows what options i would have? I have had a hard time finding stable work for the last two years , so i decided to go to school. Sadly the management company is not going to let me hold on to the apartment even if i could come up with the rent, and i have a court date set for them to tell me when i have to leave (which is about 3 months). Im believing for a blessing, however that may come about. but i would like to be well informed about what my options would be. I heard the shelter systems are horrible in NYC, I was also told i am still considered a youth because i am not yet 24, but ive seen allot of youth shelters set theyre age limit at 21. Any information you all can offer would be a great help. Thanks Guys! God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 AM

113 posts, read 216,648 times
sorry no blessing is going to happen. You are on your own. But don't worry, I am in the same situation as you becoming homeless soon enough. You're not alone! Well i'm older than you by quite a few years. Hopefully that makes you feel a bit better about the situation

Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
This might help with info and resources -- up to age 24

However, I would say that if you grew up here, you should first reach out to the rest of your family. Do you have any family that still lives here? I know your grandmother died, but any parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc?

Borough-Based Drop-In Centers
DYCD - Runaway Homeless Youth - Borough-Based Drop-In Centers

Drop-In Centers are located in each of the five boroughs of New York City, one per borough. The Drop-In Centers provide youth up to the age of 24 and their families with essentials like food, clothing and immediate shelter as well as access to counseling, support, and referrals to relevant services. Drop-In Centers are open 6 days a week. Please call the centers for exact program hours.

For more information, call Youth Connect at 1-800-246-4646.

Drop-In Centers:

Bronx
Cardinal McCloskey
333 East 149th Street, 2nd floor, BX, NY 10451
718-993-5495

Brooklyn
SCO Drop In Center
89 South 10th Street, BK, NY 11221
718-384-7083

Manhattan
The Door
121 6th Avenue, NY, NY 10013
212-941-9090 ext. 3249

Ali Forney Center
321 West 125th Street, NY, NY 10027
212-206-0574

Safe Horizon
209 West 125th Street, NY, NY 10027
212-695-2220

Queens
Safe Space NYC, Inc
89-74 162nd Street, QN, NY 11432
718-526-2400

Staten Island
Project Hospitality
126 Bennett Street, SI, NY 10301
718-876-4752

Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
I know how you feel. Here is what I would do if I'm in your situation. Check out information on Homeless department and see if you are going to be able to get a place to live, yes, is not a good place to be at, but at least you tried. Second, continue to search for housing, including sharing a room with someone, and I think you can find that in the college posting with people looking for roommate. When you live with someone together, be considerate, make the place neat and organize, even if the other person who live with you is not organize or neat. Third, make sure to land a job or something, this way you will be able to provide food for yourself.

Bottom line, do everything you can to get to the place where you want to be.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:33 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Metropolitan Council on Housing | New York City tenants' rights education and organizing

Check them out they have days that they meet and answer legal question round table style. See them before going to court. Today may be one of there meeting days so call today you can't waste time.

Did your grandmother live in a rent stabilized apt? Or did she have section 8 in a building only program? or did she live in senior housing. or a small building or house with less than 6 apts?

If it is rent stabilized and you can prove through bills, school records, ID and other official documents that you lived there for 2 years, you may be able to keep the apt. However they can charge you the rate that they would charge a new tenant that moves in after you. If this is the case and you can pay the rent, you should take all proof with you to court.

You should apply for public assistance (Welfare) they now allow people to collect welfare and go to a 4 year college full time. You will not have to work for your check if you are attending full time. You can get financial aid, work study, and student loans, with no cuts to your welfare. Welfare only pays $250 for rent so you will need the work study and may loans to pay the balance. They will give you this for roommate situations also. You can also get food stamps and Medicaid if you qualify while attending school full time.

If your grandmother had a section 8 voucher and lived in a rent stabilized building you will have to pay the full rent, or what the apt rents for without section 8.

If she lived in senior housing, projects, building only section 8, a house or small building, you will probably have to move, they operate under different rules, the judge will give you some time, so try to negotiate at court with the landlords attorney.

You may be a youth but you are of legal age to conduct this business. Find out all of your rights from met council. The management can only count on you not knowing your rights. Do not agree to move. No matter how much pressure they apply. Let the judge tell you to move and when to move. They may give you enough time to finish this spring term since they know you in are school if you can pay the rent. The judge has the final decision.

You have nothing to lose, especially since you are mentally prepared to move. If you do have to move post #4 has excellent suggestions. If you can't find a roomate situation before its time to move, post # 3 is also excellent.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:07 PM

431 posts, read 659,586 times
Sorry to hear all of this. Hope all of you find a place to live.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Your best bet is to get a job and rent a room. Admittably this will be hard and your options probably aren't that great.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:03 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Are you sure you're in college? Your writing is so bad that it's hard to believe. This may be a particular problem, because now would be the time that a well-written letter could help you.

I suggest that you:

1. Call your local state representative and ask if they have someone you could talk to.

2. Call the Bar Association (212-382-6600) and ask if they still have their free monthly legal night where you can talk briefly with a lawyer for free.

3. Call the Metropolitan Council on Housing, and ask if they can be of any help with your problem.

4. Go to your school and ask if they have a financial aid office, and ask if they can help you with a job.

Depending on how much your rent is, you might do better to give it up now and just find a cheaper room to rent, so you're spending less money. By the way, didn't your grandmother leave you her money?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Are you sure you're in college? Your writing is so bad that it's hard to believe. This may be a particular problem, because now would be the time that a well-written letter could help you.

I suggest that you:

1. Call your local state representative and ask if they have someone you could talk to.

2. Call the Bar Association (212-382-6600) and ask if they still have their free monthly legal night where you can talk briefly with a lawyer for free.

3. Call the Metropolitan Council on Housing, and ask if they can be of any help with your problem.

4. Go to your school and ask if they have a financial aid office, and ask if they can help you with a job.

Depending on how much your rent is, you might do better to give it up now and just find a cheaper room to rent, so you're spending less money. By the way, didn't your grandmother leave you her money?
He's in community college and they have to accept anyone who applies and who has a high school degree or a GED.

With that said there is no reason to insult a kid who is in an extremely urgent situation and who just lost his grandmother.

Speaking of his grandmother, not all old people have money to leave their children or grandchildren. Perhaps she died penniless.

It would appear that no amount of education buys class or basic human decency.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:13 PM

OP speak to a lawyer to find out if you have any legal right to the apartment.

Everyone who suggests you talk to a lawyer is correct. You definitely want to have counsel before you go to the court room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: