Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 18,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
CUNY Campuses do have child care!

Some campuses provide day care for infants and toddlers and about half have after-school programs for older children. And for the student parents, they are vital: Few could manage college and child rearing without the highly subsidized fees of the campus child care centers, which range from $11 to $25 for a full day.

Commuting To Class

Sorry, I can't give insight anymore than tell you what I've provided via an internet search. But being able to take your child with you to school (even if you're lucky enough to work on campus) would be a tremendous benefit.
OH the power of the internet!!! Thank you!! When i looked this up this morning i only clicked on one school and it was for children 2 and up. Now i have more research to do. This will be great for the fall when i start. There are even some schools that provide family housing, but none in the city. Even thats great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 AM

42 posts, read 84,621 times
The shelter system has helped my family tremendously. I'm so close for working for 311 and I have money saved. Its extremely stressful but it helps prepare you for the outside world. The hardest part is finding a place to live. Just make sure you keep an open public assistance case which is also hard because they give you the run around constantly. get a crockpot and work work work!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,211,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_blu09 View Post
The shelter system has helped my family tremendously. I'm so close for working for 311 and I have money saved. Its extremely stressful but it helps prepare you for the outside world. The hardest part is finding a place to live. Just make sure you keep an open public assistance case which is also hard because they give you the run around constantly. get a crockpot and work work work!
You have to put your big girl pants on and do what you have to do, right?

Old 03-06-2015, 12:38 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,211,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ded1 View Post
Yes there is a limit, 60 months unless you qualify for "exemptions" and "extentions". But who cant get it together in 5 years?? Plus when you reach the limit you can get on the other assistance, which is for single people. I also looked up schools with daycare but they are usually for children 2 and up. Ill just have to plan classes and work around daycare. Idk if daycares do weekends. Anyway, i have at least have a plan. I just dont know how the shelter system works but once i figure it out i can plan around it. At least its just one child i have and not more im confused about why the case worker said to try to get i to achool now.

Haven't all spring classes started already? Unless there is something i dont know about.
There are people who can't get it together in five years. Sometimes through no fault of their own. Sometimes it's totally their fault.

In any event, I don't know of any other cash assistance programs that will help in NYC after sixty months. That's the lifetime max for cash in NYS. Food stamps can continue as long as income is within their qualifying guidelines. As for housing programs, the only one I'm familiar with is Section 8 and it is non existent if you don't have it already. So.....

Old 10-09-2017, 01:02 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,875,551 times
There is emergency section 8 vouchers.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 PM

481 posts, read 425,699 times
Don't ever let anyone make you feel like crap about needing government assistance. It's made for situations just like yours - that's exactly what it's made to help with. If it does help you and your family out in a difficult situation that's exactly what it's supposed to do, and it's what everyone wants it to do.

Anyone who decides that the world has time for any demeaning comments or behaviour towards you, is a miserable bullying goblin.

Being a new mother, this is such a vulnerable time for you. There are a lot of neighbourhood specific mother's groups on Facebook and women post all time about being in a tough situation and needing cloths, diapers, food, or tips on places to live, and people try to help when they can.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:22 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,079,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Don't ever let anyone make you feel like crap about needing government assistance. It's made for situations just like yours - that's exactly what it's made to help with. If it does help you and your family out in a difficult situation that's exactly what it's supposed to do, and it's what everyone wants it to do.

Anyone who decides that the world has time for any demeaning comments or behaviour towards you, is a miserable bullying goblin.

Being a new mother, this is such a vulnerable time for you. There are a lot of neighbourhood specific mother's groups on Facebook and women post all time about being in a tough situation and needing cloths, diapers, food, or tips on places to live, and people try to help when they can.
I agree totally. Its stressful enough without having a child in tow. ded1-If you need work, or something to supplement a current job I would advise to look into the holiday hiring increase. Holiday markets, retail stores will have part time or full positions and they are beginning to prepare to hire now. You certainly have the fb groups above. Also organizations mas have drives to provide more assitance as the holidays get close. Catholic charities or similar I am thinking.

Sending you good wishes, we are all rooting for you. Please keep us posted. We have many who went through similar and often dont hear from them beyond a day or so.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,556,542 times
You did the right thing to come here and ask for advice. I have a friend who went through the process, and here is what I know.

You have to register for the intake. After that you will get assign to a specific location of a shelter. A case worker will be assign to you, and they will help you with employment if needed. Especially with a baby, you may be looking to get more help than most people would. If you have every intention of getting things done, staff at the shelter will work with you on getting you out of the shelter asap. You will be allow to apply for public assistance and make appointment, and the shelter may even provide you with the travel reimbursement.

Bottom line, they will work everything with you and try to make it work for you, but you have to work with them as well, like willing to take an apartment that's available but may not be on the best neighborhood. This aspect may be a little bit of difficult because I can understand if they want you to move to East New York and you having concern about the safety, I would be too. So, everything may not be as smooth as expected, but for the most part, you will get all the necessary help to get you up running again.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2017, 03:13 PM

296 posts, read 479,422 times
Exclamation lyla45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
You did the right thing to come here and ask for advice. I have a friend who went through the process, and here is what I know.

You have to register for the intake. After that you will get assign to a specific location of a shelter. A case worker will be assign to you, and they will help you with employment if needed. Especially with a baby, you may be looking to get more help than most people would. If you have every intention of getting things done, staff at the shelter will work with you on getting you out of the shelter asap. You will be allow to apply for public assistance and make appointment, and the shelter may even provide you with the travel reimbursement.

Bottom line, they will work everything with you and try to make it work for you, but you have to work with them as well, like willing to take an apartment that's available but may not be on the best neighborhood. This aspect may be a little bit of difficult because I can understand if they want you to move to East New York and you having concern about the safety, I would be too. So, everything may not be as smooth as expected, but for the most part, you will get all the necessary help to get you up running again.

Good luck!
Hey, people! This post was from 2015, more then 2,5 years old

Old 10-11-2017, 01:13 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,201,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliya47 View Post
Hey, people! This post was from 2015, more then 2,5 years old
I'd be curious what her situation was now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: