Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:08 PM

26 posts, read 32,718 times

Advertisements

Well said Nywriterdude

It's clear that a lot of people on here are speaking based on fears rather than experience. If it's such an awful place to live you would think ONE person has an actual awful story to share.

Thank you everyone! This all helps.

Whatever the neighborhood winds up being like (which I think will be good, based on my visits I'm really excited to move there!) one thing is for CERTAIN... everyone has a different opinion on it. The only way I can possibly know if this is a good fit is to try. It's fortunate I am subletting so I don't have to worry about breaking a lease if it doesn't work out. I'll be sure to return to the boards with my findings :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 09:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Enjoy the area, ive put about 17 people all around there and most of them have renewed leases.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
There's nothing surprisingly shocking in the area for her to see that she hasn't
already seen.
I didn't say "shocking" I said "dreary."

Old 04-11-2015, 10:01 PM

236 posts, read 271,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms18597n View Post
Technically I wouldn't be going up to 104th my building is at 100th and 3rd.

Walking up 3rd from 96th street... there was decent foot traffic but it was really well lit and there's a huge college dorm on 98th. I am thinking back to last Friday night at like 9 pm. So maybe that's when all the college students were out.

It seems like no one is aware of this dorm on 3rd... its pretty huge and obviously manned by their own 24/7 security. Not that those people will get off their @ss to look at anything going on outside (the dorm is run by a company called EHS Housing, and I actually lived in one of their downtown residences so I KNOW they're tight with security) just saying...

Also speaking of that dorm... college students reviewing it on yelp have complained about pretty much everything except the area (typical dorm stuff - it's messy, annoying visitor policies bla bla bla). A few students said they liked the area and only one mentioned the projects and it was in the context of "no one has ever bothered me."

This just goes to show it is impossible to make these decisions based on what people say online, I have to go see it. Luckily no commitment as I am subletting
Very cool to hear more about this area! The current plan is to live there next spring, and I too am interested in learning more about the area and what people's experiences were who lived there.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:03 AM

26 posts, read 32,718 times
Unfortunately the sublet fell through... the building I was thinking of subletting from is going to stop renting and start selling their units.

Frankly I think the woman who sublet to me heard rumors about this and wanted to find a new apartment before it was too late.

If you are thinking of subletting at 1810 third ave DO NOT!!! You'll have to buy it at the end of the sublet!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms18597n View Post
Unfortunately the sublet fell through... the building I was thinking of subletting from is going to stop renting and start selling their units.

Frankly I think the woman who sublet to me heard rumors about this and wanted to find a new apartment before it was too late.

If you are thinking of subletting at 1810 third ave DO NOT!!! You'll have to buy in at the end of the first year!

Sometimes that can be a HELLUVA deal. A friend was forced to buy in Rego Park at 50K after 1 rental and in 10 years it quadrupled in value.

But really, all that hubbub for a SUBLET?

MS....when you ask people what the think about an area that you don't know and they DO, perhaps you might be a bit grateful for the information rather than a smarmy know-it-all.

For example, I walked by the building a while ago...YESTERDAY and a week ago, and the week before that.

But at least thank you for closure on the subject, always appreciated.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:20 PM

Lol

Old 04-13-2015, 04:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Sometimes that can be a HELLUVA deal. A friend was forced to buy in Rego Park at 50K after 1 rental and in 10 years it quadrupled in value.

But really, all that hubbub for a SUBLET?

MS....when you ask people what the think about an area that you don't know and they DO, perhaps you might be a bit grateful for the information rather than a smarmy know-it-all.

For example, I walked by the building a while ago...YESTERDAY and a week ago, and the week before that.

But at least thank you for closure on the subject, always appreciated.
Hahahahaha.

Well all people on the forum can do is give their honest opinions and whatever works out will work out or not.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 PM

two 3br
three 2br
one 1br

All got rented this weekend on 100, 101, 102 from 1ave to lex. All white, mostly "young professionals" and 1 student.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
two 3br
three 2br
one 1br

All got rented this weekend on 100, 101, 102 from 1ave to lex. All white, mostly "young professionals" and 1 student.
There are a lot of gut renovation proceeding in the area (beyond 106th Street even) and new building construction as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: