U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 596 times

Advertisements

I have a tenant with a year remaining on their lease , behind in rent and having done damage to the apartment. According to the HPD Section 8 rules I have had to live be - they should not be able to get a move voucher until I give them a letter releasing them from the lease, the rent is paid up and some thing worked out on damages however the tenant has managed to get and 'emergency move voucher' and all my protections as a landlord are out the window. Frankly I'll be glad to see them move but the turn around time and not being able to line up a new tenant as quickly as I may have to will leave me in a very tight bind with my mortgage. Calls to HPD tell me I have no recourse on this - does anyone know anything I can do to get HPD to enforce their own stated move criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,198,948 times
Awww .... how sad. Behind on the mortgage and all.

Hey ! I just had an idea.

Why not use some of that significant tax credit cash that goes along with the HPD program to get caught up on the mortgage ?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:27 PM

1,293 posts, read 953,543 times
Perhaps their criteria does not include an "emergency move voucher?" These are for domestic violence and given top priority. As for your rent, if Section 8 wasn't paying the bulk of it, who was? Are you behind in the amount the tenant was supposed to pay? If so, let her move, then sue her for what she owes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City