Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:29 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times

Advertisements

Just another person who couldn't afford the type of lifestyle in NYC they want. Nothing wrong with that but nothing entitles you to have the type of life you want here. Like everything else you gotta work for it. You can either move - or make more money, simple as that...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol what supermarket in NYC doesn't have a bathroom? Stop N Shop around my way has them right in front of the checkout lines....I'm glad that you're better off in San Diego but this was just silly. Unless you have a bladder condition or some other type of medical issue, I'm sure as an adult one would think they would use the bathroom before doing something like grocery shopping lol. What do you think parents with kids do?
The ****ty grocery stores like Associates or Gristedes don't have bathrooms. I have avoided them for years though. Fairway's, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes all have bathrooms.

But I agree with you. Generally grocery stores are close to other stores (Starbucks, McDonald's etc) that have bathrooms so go before or after shipping.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Just another person who couldn't afford the type of lifestyle in NYC they want. Nothing wrong with that but nothing entitles you to have the type of life you want here. Like everything else you gotta work for it. You can either move - or make more money, simple as that...
I completely agree and it's something we all face. Not making enough money here? You have the option of stepping up your game. Just know you will have to work hard for it. The vast majority of jobs that pay well in NYC require an education beyond a bachelor's degree. You often have to get licenses or certifications and graduate degrees. Or join unions/guilds.

The problem here is that people want something for nothing.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:14 PM

282 posts, read 350,679 times
I grew up in the San Diego area and go back 2-3x per year.

My thoughts on San Diego:

Unsophisticated
Dull
Boring

San Diego might fit your personality better, but that's about it. Make no mistake; it is not better than New York. You probably already know that deep inside though, since you come on here to get validation that you made the right choice. Me personally? I would never go back to San Diego. I personally find it inferior to my perfect life here the city. Eating the best food, the energy, the shows, the walking, the grand buildings, the sophisticates, the culture, the nightlife. I love New York.

Enjoy your new home though.

Last edited by UAE50; 03-06-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The ****ty grocery stores like Associates or Gristedes don't have bathrooms. I have avoided them for years though. Fairway's, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes all have bathrooms.

But I agree with you. Generally grocery stores are close to other stores (Starbucks, McDonald's etc) that have bathrooms so go before or after shipping.
Well I would consider grocery stores smaller than supermarkets, not a place where one would for example, do 2 weeks worth of shopping for a family. Maybe those don't have bathrooms. But all supermarkets have public bathrooms.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
I grew up in the San Diego area and go back 2-3x per year.

My thoughts on San Diego:

Unsophisticated
Dull
Boring

San Diego might fit your personality better, but that's about it. Make no mistake; it is not better than New York. You probably already know that deep inside though, since you come on here to get validation that you made the right choice. Me personally? I would never go back to San Diego. I personally find it inferior to my perfect life here the city. Eating the best food, the energy, the shows, the walking, the grand buildings, the sophisticates, the culture, the nightlife. I love New York.

Enjoy your new home though.
I cant say NYC has the best food hands down, that goes to the South. However NYC does have amazing cuisine. Me and my friends came up with an idea to possibly open up NYC style resturants outside of NYC. I saw one like this in near Vegas that sold NYC styled food. I think NYC has the largest transplant community outside of NYC. So many ex New Yorkers live outside of NYC it would be a huge market to cater to for dining purposes. Its how like Transplants here miss home but recreate home here in NYC with their Southern or Midwestern tastes in gentry neighborhoods. Thanks to gentrification burgers here in NYC taste real good now, prior to gentrification burgers here were ok. I can imagine people missing out on Halal food chicken over rice, or a Jamaican beef patty, or some pastrami sandwich with a Knish on the side. I can imagine plenty would miss NYC because of the food that is here.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-06-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I cant say NYC has the best food hands down, that goes to the South. However NYC does have amazing cuisine. Me and my friends came up with an idea to possibly open up NYC style resturants outside of NYC. I saw one like this in near Vegas that sold NYC styled food. I think NYC has the largest transplant community outside of NYC. So many ex New Yorkers live outside of NYC it would be a huge market to cater to for dining purposes. Its how like Transplants here miss home but recreate home here in NYC with their Southern or Midwestern tastes in gentry neighborhoods. I can imagine people missing out on Halal food chicken over rice, or a Jamaican beef patty, or some pastrami sandwich with a Knish on the side. I can imagine plenty would miss NYC because of the food that is here.
NYC has the greatest variety of food hands down. Nobody can question that.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
NYC has the greatest variety of food hands down. Nobody can question that.
From all the various immigrants groups here? You bet! In a short distance you could have Colombian, Chinese, Indian,Mexican, Jamaican, Thai, Korean, Trinidadian, French, Italian, Spanish, etc.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
From all the various immigrants groups here? You bet! In a short distance you could have Colombian, Chinese, Indian,Mexican, Jamaican, Thai, Korean, Trinidadian, French, Italian, Spanish, etc.
Even Bhutanese, as I found out a few months ago watching some show on cable. Some place in Jackson Heights.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Well I made it. I escaped the rotten apple in between the numerous snow storms these past few months. I am here in sunny San Diego sweating today actually because I had a light jacket on.

So what's it like ? It's slow and the city has just as many yuppie hipsters as NYC does. Traffic is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The supermarkets in my area are AMAZING. I used to pay $2.69 for club soda in my neighborhood. Here you get 4 for $5. Aisles and aisles of affordable food and EMPTY during the day.

I have a huge Ford Truck and I got right on the freeways so I have no fear of them anymore. 420 is in abundance with prices that will make your jaws drop. I apply for my medical MMJ Card next week. I will get it for sure.

I have just a few friends down here but I purchased a new bicycle...lots and lots of open road along the ocean waiting for someone to ride on it.

I met a fellow NY'er who left during the 80's. He is old school and is my connection to New Yawk how I knew it and loved it.

What do I miss ? Only one thing.....I miss the view out my window in midtown. It was better than TV. I have a patio and an outside view that looks like a norman rockwell painting. Pretty but boring. I wish I could see more people or Anybody doing ANYTHING but that's life in the burbs.

Restaurants run about $15/20 for a meal. Full tank of gas for my truck is $80. I have to pay for garbage pick up !!! $25 every other month.

Otherwise I have seen some of the whitest ass people I have seen in my life. Conservative as all hell. Some you might see on a sunday morning evangelical show. This is where they come from

All in all I got exactly what I wanted. Nowhere is perfect obviously but I do think I made the right move. I have had a heck of a week being welcomed to SD. I can't say anything bad about it even though it may not be perfect it is way better than my situation in NYC.

I will also be renting an apartment in Tijuana for leisure purposes. Cost will be $300 per month tops for a nice place. I will go back and forth between Mexico and The USA.

Some people have sent me PM's asking me about my move but I had not moved yet. Now that I have hence the report.

.....I am waiting on the " Just wait another few months and you will want to come back to NYC" optimists that will want to chime in.
Congrats on the move. And I hope San Diego will be a better for you in many ways possible compared to NYC. I have to agree with you on that window view part. Out of my window I have a view of Randall's Island, Astoria Queens, UES and East Harlem, with heads lights of cars on the FDR and planes flying up the East River heading into La Guardia beaming lights into the apartment on a dark night. . The view reminds me of the opening scene in Blade Runner. I hope San Diego brings you much success and happiness. I do have to say that this past winter has really demoralized plenty of people. I know a woman from work who is a Transplant from Texas who moved to NYC because she hates everything that is Texas. She moved to San Diego for a job offer and to find a husband after years of living in NYC. I told her lots of gun ho military men down there for you.

People have asked when I'm I moving? The thing is that the old NYC does not mesh well with the New NYC, however I have been finding common ground between the old NYC and the New types, like wise for the new types as well. Right now I'm waiting on results of two civil servant exams for the state not city. If I do pass and go through the process of hiring I will move out of NYC into NYC suburbs of Westchester. I will also be visiting AZ again this spring, and a Possible visit to Nashville TN to visit a relative. A college buddy of mines in NC wants to set me up with an LE exam for a Charlotte suburb which he is a Sargent for, I would have to go down there for the exam to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City