Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:52 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times

Advertisements

What's up with this? Why can't the medical profession be the ones to combat the drug problem. NYPD officers use that naloxone to help overdose victims.

"Police revive same OD victim twice in two months, raising question of next step for addicts"

Police revive same OD victim twice in two months, raising question of next step for addicts | SILive.com

"STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The first time Michael overdosed on heroin in the men's room at the St. George Ferry Terminal, police found him, administered the nasal spray naloxone, and saved his life.

That was Dec. 27.

Nearly six weeks later, on Feb. 4, the 26-year-old Eltingville resident overdosed again, in the same men's room, and once again police saved him. Only the second time around, they decided to arrest him on misdemeanor drug possession charges."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM

140 posts, read 267,023 times
It's not they are being used as EMTs, it's that if they waited for the ambulance he would've died. You don't need an MD to give someone Narcan, I'm on methadone and they taught me and every other client how to use it, in case we encounter another addict, it's the same as squirting Afrin up someone's nose.

I'm wondering why he keeps getting high in the ferry terminal, he must pick up around St. George and doesn't have the will power to get home. I would be afraid to walk past those police dogs with drugs on me though. He needs help though, reading this makes me glad I'm 18 months clean. God bless him.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
It's not they are being used as EMTs, it's that if they waited for the ambulance he would've died. You don't need an MD to give someone Narcan, I'm on methadone and they taught me and every other client how to use it, in case we encounter another addict, it's the same as squirting Afrin up someone's nose.

I'm wondering why he keeps getting high in the ferry terminal, he must pick up around St. George and doesn't have the will power to get home. I would be afraid to walk past those police dogs with drugs on me though. He needs help though, reading this makes me glad I'm 18 months clean. God bless him.
They are being used as EMT's. I understand your point about how easy it is to be administered, but why not give these out to the addicts themselves? Recall clean needle programs? Police could be freed up because it doesn't appear as though they're being arrested. In this case, if the person had been arrested the first time, perhaps some form of recovery would have been on the horizon for him.

Of course he could be scoring from the Ferry Terminal or anyone of the SIR railway station stops.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
They are being used as EMT's. I understand your point about how easy it is to be administered, but why not give these out to the addicts themselves? Recall clean needle programs? Police could be freed up because it doesn't appear as though they're being arrested. In this case, if the person had been arrested the first time, perhaps some form of recovery would have been on the horizon for him.

Of course he could be scoring from the Ferry Terminal or anyone of the SIR railway station stops.
They do give them out to addicts. At the needle exchange they always offer them but most junkies have a horrible fear of narcan because it puts you into full tip withdrawal which is incredibly painful and the biggest fear of every junkie. The policy is never to arrest people when they come for an overdose. I will give you a hypothetical example of why this is:

Me and you are getting high together
You overdose
I have drugs and needles on me which can send me to jail
If I fear that if I call the ambulance the cops will take my dope and arrest me, I will just bail
But if there is a legal guarantee that I cannot get busted or have my stuff confiscated, I will be less scared to call the ambulance and thus you won't die.

It sounds cold but if a junkie thinks he is gonna lose his drugs he will run, it doesn't matter if it's his mommy dying on the floor. Guaranteeing no arrests gets people to call 911 and saves people's lifes.

Besides, involuntarily getting this guy help will do no good. He will only be clean as long as he has no way to get drugs. Trust me my parents sent me away to places in California, Florida, Upstate. Nothing helped and nothing changed until I got sick of it and the cost of being a junkie finally felt like it wasn't worth the high. This guy has not reached that point yet, I hope he will because until he does no amount of external help will change him.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
What's up with this? Why can't the medical profession be the ones to combat the drug problem. NYPD officers use that naloxone to help overdose victims.

"Police revive same OD victim twice in two months, raising question of next step for addicts"

Police revive same OD victim twice in two months, raising question of next step for addicts | SILive.com

"STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The first time Michael overdosed on heroin in the men's room at the St. George Ferry Terminal, police found him, administered the nasal spray naloxone, and saved his life.

That was Dec. 27.

Nearly six weeks later, on Feb. 4, the 26-year-old Eltingville resident overdosed again, in the same men's room, and once again police saved him. Only the second time around, they decided to arrest him on misdemeanor drug possession charges."
Does this apply to all situations where one needs medical assistance or just the drugs? Because you just mention this one example. If an old lady slips on the ice and falls and a cop sees her, should they try to help her up and see if she is ok, or call a bus?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-06-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Does this apply to all situations where one needs medical assistance or just the drugs? Because you just mention this one example. If an old lady slips on the ice and falls and a cop sees her, should they try to help her up and see if she is ok, or call a bus?
I think what he is saying is that cops shouldn't be responding to medical issues, if they happen to witness it I don't think he is implying they should walk away but they should just try to stabilize the situation until the appropriate responders arrive and then leave instead of actually being the ones to handle the issue so they can be freed up to fight crime.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:52 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Police are trained to provide first aid, usually in relation to gun shot or stab wounds, CPR, drug overdose, etc. EMTs are typically for more severe cases where hospitalization is usually required. The level of training varies from every police department.

Quote:
I think what he is saying is that cops shouldn't be responding to medical issues, if they happen to witness it I don't think he is implying they should walk away but they should just try to stabilize the situation until the appropriate responders arrive and then leave instead of actually being the ones to handle the issue so they can be freed up to fight crime.
That wouldn't make any sense. The police would spend more time waiting for the EMT than actually handling the situation themselves if they have the ability to.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:13 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Well the article says they found him the first time. So they didn't respond per se, because nobody called them. If someone were to 911 for medical emergency they would be referred to FDNY anyway.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think they should try and pick her up (It's what "I" would do). This does not mean however, that they will, or do this as a routine part of their job.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Police are trained to provide first aid, usually in relation to gun shot or stab wounds, CPR, drug overdose, etc. EMTs are typically for more severe cases where hospitalization is usually required. The level of training varies from every police department.

That wouldn't make any sense. The police would spend more time waiting for the EMT than actually handling the situation themselves if they have the ability to.
So let me see then, a more severe case? You mean like a heart attack?

Which needs the quickest response?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: