Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe you think bullshead is lower class, I think it's very middle to upper middle, I would hate to wonder what you think about areas such as mariners harbor and park hill.

The area between richmond ave to grahm ave, from lamberts lane to victory blvd is lower class?! You must be on the pipe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Colt View Post
Thinking of moving out of Brooklyn and starting anew in Staten Island. Don't hear much about the Graniteville section. Is it decent? I know Mariners Harbor area is a no, no but is Graniteville far enough away to consider a Condo there? Am I safe enough as long as it's below Forest Avenue? What do you think?
Actually, I wouldn't even say Mariners Harbor is a no-no. The southern section has some very nice areas around Maple Parkway, Union Avenue, Harbor Road, etc. Not anything fancy, but definitely a stable neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Colt View Post
Yes I heard Bullshead is nice too. Looks like I'll have to do lots more reasearch.
Yes, it is nice. Don't believe anybody who says it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaProf View Post
Don't listen to the poster who says that Graniteville is a bad area!
I bought a condo here six years ago, and couldn't be happier living here!

The area is a great mix of just about every ethnicity that exist, and all great working
professionals like myself, that got priced out of other areas. I have yet to see the
"white trash" that the other poster refers to! We do border Marinors Harbor, but that has
yet to be a problem for me! Why the area get a bad rap, I have no clue? Perhaps it's folks
that aren't confortable if they are not seeing 100% white faces all the time or perhaps, they are
South Shore
Rsidents from that side of the Island, they are always bashing, without having ever lived here, stepped
a foot here;etc. I've been a North Shore resident for over 18 years now, and would never consider living
anywhere else! Another bonus, you could really end up getting a great price on a nice place! I did, and
it was the best decision that I ever made!
Tell it like it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In theory once you cross over the expressway/440 you are in Bull's Head. However Graniteville at it's most eastern tip is just on the other side from Victory Blvd. Around North Gannon and Willowbrook Road is the area am thinking of.

Bull's Head actually begins around Westwood Park (somewhere around Crafton Avenue IIRC) and goes west to Graham Avenue and loops around Willowbrook Park/CSI then down to Travis Avenue and around to Richmond Avenue, again bordering the park.
Negative. East of the MLK is either Westerleigh or Willowbrook, depending on how far north you are. The only area I can even see some sort of case for being in Graniteville is north of Watchogue and west of Willowbrook (where I.S.51 is). But even then, the demographics are different from the area west of the MLK.

Bulls Head begins west of CSI. You have the library and Gaeta Park in Willowbrook, then you cross under the expressway and go through a whole no-man's land (aside from a few houses on the south side of Victory Blvd, which are still considered Willowbrook) until you pass CSI and hit Christopher Lane, where Bulls Head begins.

I mean, there's a reason it's called Willowbrook Park. Just sayin'.....

To me, south of Signs Road, it's debatable as to what that neighborhood is. It's not Heartland Village, which is on the other side of Richmond Avenue. Bulls Head is centered around Victory & Richmond (which is where a tavern was located of the same name), so if you can't (realistically) walk to Victory & Richmond to do your shopping, then you're not Bulls Head.

Quote:
Port Richmond? Especially from Castleton to the Terrace from Richmond Avenue going west actually *was* nice even the mostly African American area, now look at the place. It certainly has not gotten better.

West Brighton? Was mostly nice even around the projects and Markham Homes. Now basically from Alaska to Elm Street roughly from Henderson Avenue to the Terrace yet another hood. Even "The Situation's" family high tailed it off Bement Avenue for New Jersey. In fact you see RS sales persons try to put the nicer parts of West Brighton (what is left of it) in Randall Manor to avoid scaring persons off.
How far back are you going? As far as I know, going way back to the 90s, both of those areas were hood. (I've lived on SI since 2004, and they were definitely hood when I moved here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
Latin? Huh we are talking about two different places lol. Nowhere in the island besides the projects has any significant non white populations below the highway. The area around CSI has all Jews, actually a decent population of Hasidic jews. Where are these latins you speak of? Peppered around the island there are some Nuyoricans but nowhere on the south or mid shore is "diverse" islanders don't stand for that. That's the whole reason SI took off because the italians and the irish and the Jews were escaping diversity in their neighborhoods. Graniteville is a small area south of Mariners harbor that is mostly blacks and low class white people.
Graniteville is not mostly blacks. It's diverse, with the largest group actually being whites, followed by Hispanics.

And actually, South Beach/Midland Beach (even away from the South Beach Houses) has a lot of Hispanics. And the area between Richmond Avenue & Christopher Lane (which is Bulls Head) has a lot of Asian & Hispanic residents. Actually, the area over by Bradley Avenue has a lot of Asian Indians, and that's south of the SIE.

Quote:
West Brighton was nice less than 10 years ago. Very irish, I knew people out there. Now it's getting icky because even though it's still white mostly most kids raised there go to the south shore to raise their kids because north shore schools suck..all black and Spanish lots of gangsters
What parts of West Brighton? Because the area north of Post/Cary has been hood as long as I can remember.

Quote:
No crime scares me. This ain't atlanta let's be real there is not one black neighborhood in NYC or the whole northeast that is a good neighborhood. Blacks who aren't hood either move down south or they move to white areas and pray their neighbors don't assume (usually correctly in the past)! That the area is turning into a ghetto and then leave which makes the area a ghetto.

What do the nicest parts of the city all have in common? From riverdale to the UES to park slope to tottenville??
Cambria Heights is mostly black, and Jamaica Estates is very diverse.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, I wouldn't even say Mariners Harbor is a no-no. The southern section has some very nice areas around Maple Parkway, Union Avenue, Harbor Road, etc. Not anything fancy, but definitely a stable neighborhood.

Yes, it is nice. Don't believe anybody who says it's not.

Tell it like it is.

Negative. East of the MLK is either Westerleigh or Willowbrook, depending on how far north you are. The only area I can even see some sort of case for being in Graniteville is north of Watchogue and west of Willowbrook (where I.S.51 is). But even then, the demographics are different from the area west of the MLK.

Bulls Head begins west of CSI. You have the library and Gaeta Park in Willowbrook, then you cross under the expressway and go through a whole no-man's land (aside from a few houses on the south side of Victory Blvd, which are still considered Willowbrook) until you pass CSI and hit Christopher Lane, where Bulls Head begins.

I mean, there's a reason it's called Willowbrook Park. Just sayin'.....

To me, south of Signs Road, it's debatable as to what that neighborhood is. It's not Heartland Village, which is on the other side of Richmond Avenue. Bulls Head is centered around Victory & Richmond (which is where a tavern was located of the same name), so if you can't (realistically) walk to Victory & Richmond to do your shopping, then you're not Bulls Head.

How far back are you going? As far as I know, going way back to the 90s, both of those areas were hood. (I've lived on SI since 2004, and they were definitely hood when I moved here).

Graniteville is not mostly blacks. It's diverse, with the largest group actually being whites, followed by Hispanics.

And actually, South Beach/Midland Beach (even away from the South Beach Houses) has a lot of Hispanics. And the area between Richmond Avenue & Christopher Lane (which is Bulls Head) has a lot of Asian & Hispanic residents. Actually, the area over by Bradley Avenue has a lot of Asian Indians, and that's south of the SIE.

What parts of West Brighton? Because the area north of Post/Cary has been hood as long as I can remember.

Cambria Heights is mostly black, and Jamaica Estates is very diverse.
Where you or I say Bulls Head begins and ends can differ. However online and other maps give the north west boundary at Westwood Park where Woodard Avenue comes up from North Gannon going north to Willowbrook Road. The place obviously skips over Willowbrook State School/Park and CSI campus (carved out of same), since those aren't residential areas.

Going back late as the 1980's the "nice" part of West Brighton below Henderson Avenue was from Elm Street going east to Randall Manor. The upper part of Elm Street from Henderson to Castleton Avenue much like North Burgher (near Sacred Heart Church) was dicey and sort of a house by house sort of thing. Bement Avenue from the Terrance going north past Forest along with the rest (Pelton Street, Davis Avenue, Bard Avenue, etc...) were solid nice middle and above areas.

In fact back in the day West Brighton Houses weren't that bad. You had a good mix of hard working middle and lower class (many civil servants, nurses, etc...) , went to high school with kids that came from there and most all went on to become rock solid citizens. It wasn't long after the City began shipping formerly homeless and the rest of their "block busting" antics that turned the place into what it is today.

Now the Markham Houses are another story.....

Cary Avenue from Broadway going east was a great nice old school SI area especially from N. Burgher to Oakland Avenue.

Post Avenue going into Port Richmond/Jewett is another area that went from good old school to a hood. It was never "wealthy" but none the less... I remember the "new" Our Lady of Mt Carmel-St Benedicta Church and School which served the then Italian immigrant population of that area. Going up Clove Road before Forest there was a big Knights of Columbus Hall. It got sold and torn down not too long after a very big renovation product and turned into housing.

It may be hard for some to imagine but much of the North Shore that is mainly black, Latino/Hispanic today once was white (Italian, Irish, German, etc...) not that long ago. We're talking the 1970's or even 1980's in some cases.

People either died off and or began moving (South Shore, New Jersey, etc.....) and others began to move in.

Had a friend from high school that grew up on Elm Street back in the 1970's. We took a drive down there one night last summer and it broke his heart. The place is a hood, a down right hood.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
The area around Father Macris Park/Lambert Lane is pretty nice, especially going east towards Richmond Avenue. However there you have mainly single family homes instead of townhouses.
Just to clarify, going east along Lamberts, it's mostly single family homes. But going west of the park is predominantly townhouses (including that overpriced Lamberts Path they're building over there).

Quote:
Where you or I say Bulls Head begins and ends can differ. However online and other maps give the north west boundary at Westwood Park where Woodard Avenue comes up from North Gannon going north to Willowbrook Road. The place obviously skips over Willowbrook State School/Park and CSI campus (carved out of same), since those aren't residential areas.
I wouldn't put too much stock in a map that has Elm Park centered right along Port Richmond Avenue, and Port Richmond placed east of Jewett, going down to Broadway.

Quote:
Going back late as the 1980's the "nice" part of West Brighton below Henderson Avenue was from Elm Street going east to Randall Manor. The upper part of Elm Street from Henderson to Castleton Avenue much like North Burgher (near Sacred Heart Church) was dicey and sort of a house by house sort of thing. Bement Avenue from the Terrance going north past Forest along with the rest (Pelton Street, Davis Avenue, Bard Avenue, etc...) were solid nice middle and above areas.

In fact back in the day West Brighton Houses weren't that bad. You had a good mix of hard working middle and lower class (many civil servants, nurses, etc...) , went to high school with kids that came from there and most all went on to become rock solid citizens. It wasn't long after the City began shipping formerly homeless and the rest of their "block busting" antics that turned the place into what it is today.

Now the Markham Houses are another story.....
He said 20-30 years ago. So that's mid-80s to mid-90s. I could definitely picture a lot of areas being worse back then compared to now. When did the decline of the West Brighton Houses (and the surrounding area) start? I would imagine it was sometime in the mid-70s, no? The same with areas like Port Richmond and Jersey Street.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 PM

140 posts, read 266,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaProf View Post
Michael, you are such a hateful, ignorant Pos!
You know nothing about me, or what I am comfortable living with! I'll explain it
In simple terms, so even a piece of vermin such as yourself can understand!
I have never lived in a ghetto or hood area! I have always lived in solid middle class
Neighborhoods! "My people" are those unlike yourself, whom are hardworking and
Decent!
My neighbors, whom I know extremely well are a NYC Fireman, a NYC School Teacher, a CSI
Adjunct Professor, a SI Ferry Captain, get the picture! Decent, hard working folks, whom I am proud
To call neighbors!
Granitville is not the hood! Never has been, never will be!
Yes I have 2 post, because the minute that I read your hateful lies, I felt it my duty, since it is
My community, to set the record, straight!
BTW, the fairly new elementary school that opened up here, has some of the highest test
Scores on the Island!

Bottom line for you and all the haters, write all the inaccuracies, and exaggerations that your pea
Brains can produce, I live here, and I know, that you're all full of it!

Original Poster, you must visit, the areas, yourself, make, your own value judgements!
Moderator, please eliminate, the offensive,hateful post, they violate the sites, TOS!
LOL
I said the truth about your area so you want my post deleted

Girlfriend you can't even speak English

I think you have a vested interest in people thinking the area is nice

You're a realtor, right? That's why you made an account to post on this thread.

LMAO YOU LIVE IN THE GHETTO

Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Just to clarify, going east along Lamberts, it's mostly single family homes. But going west of the park is predominantly townhouses (including that overpriced Lamberts Path they're building over there).

I wouldn't put too much stock in a map that has Elm Park centered right along Port Richmond Avenue, and Port Richmond placed east of Jewett, going down to Broadway.

Actually Jersey Street has gotten worse, much worse since the 1980's or even before. And don't get me started about much of Port Richmond especially around Richmond Avenue from about

He said 20-30 years ago. So that's mid-80s to mid-90s. I could definitely picture a lot of areas being worse back then compared to now. When did the decline of the West Brighton Houses (and the surrounding area) start? I would imagine it was sometime in the mid-70s, no? The same with areas like Port Richmond and Jersey Street.
Lamberts Path is a freaking disgrace. Bad enough they are over developing every single square inch of SI but does anyone build *ANYTHING* other than townhouses. No wonder people are getting fed up and moving, all the reasons you once lived on The Rock are vanishing. In another ten or so years Staten Island will largely look just like much of Brooklyn and Queens; high density housing with all problems that come with it.

Worse they are building this Lamberts project on wetlands. Hope these suckers take out flood insurance...

Empty lot in Staten Island's Graniteville section to be site of 106 townhouses | SILive.com

Cannot say exactly when West Brighton Houses really went down hill, but in the 1970's things weren't that bad. Again I went to high school (gradated in the 1980's) with kids that came from there and most were all right, though you could see an "element" was building.

Don't get me wrong, the corner of Broadway and Castleton was never the "UES", but nothing like it has become today.

Funny thing once you passed Alaska and went further west on Castleton the "hood" stopped and you had all those shops. Woolworths, Bohack, A&P, car dealerships etc.. until you got to the bus depot.

Jersey Street was bad in the 1970's and got worse in the 1980's and continues along that path. Port Richmond especially around Richmond Avenue was once a rock solid old school community. Yes you had some lower income areas but many including the African Americans were hard working and kept their properties nice. That all has pretty much gone out the window. The Hispanic/Latino population claims they have "saved" much of Port Richmond and that Avenue, but some might disagree.

Have to also say this, Richmond Terrace Houses (Jersey Street), West Brighton Houses, Markham Houses, etc... all when first built were *very* nice developments in good stable areas. It was only over the years as the area and or demographic make-up of these buildings changed that things went down hill.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1132415

Case in point was how fast Todt Hill and Berry Houses have turned into thug heaven in about ten or so years.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 03-10-2015 at 01:35 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 AM

6 posts, read 8,839 times
Much to take in and consider. I value all your information. Since I'm planning to buy, I need to make a good, decent choice as to where I'm going to live. I won't be able to say later what a mistake I made and just simply pack up and relocate. I value peace, quiet and safety. Honestly the last thing I want is to be living in an area surrounded by hood-rats and classless, filthy individuals. I think that goes for most folks. I don't want to fear driving up or walking up to the home I'm paying a mortgage for. If the folks around the neighborhood are hardworking, clean, have some morals and show some class, I'm in. Obviously I will need to place my boots on the ground. Go see the areas in person during the day and night. During the weekends when the crumb-crunchers are not safely behind the walls of the educational system. As well as during the warm weather months to see what these neighborhoods will be like. Obviously I have lots of research to do besides look at pictures of homes.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
Quote:
Your name is also "LatinaProf" so you're experience is obviously different.

call me a racist. But graniteville is a hole, and yes I'm uncomfortable around ghetto people who disproprotiantely live on the north shore

Even west Brighton has turned to a craphole

It's a great neighborhood if you're main needs are easy access to your roxy/heroin dealer
Now this is true in Granitville but OMG the South Shore is filled with this. Go to the DOH website and look at the amount of drug OD on SI and the rest of the city, MIND BOGGLING! The South Shore is filled with strung out people, worse than you ever could imagine. Every 5 days someone dies of a drug OD here, most are white kids from the South Shore. Google it, don't take my word for it.

I lived in Annadale, the drug use was so bad I had to sell my house. Mothers buying from their dealers all hours of the day and night. It's disgusting out here. Do your homework. I can't imagine anyone wanting to come live here once they know what it really going on. It's not called Heroin Island for no reason!!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:02 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
Now this is true in Granitville but OMG the South Shore is filled with this. Go to the DOH website and look at the amount of drug OD on SI and the rest of the city, MIND BOGGLING! The South Shore is filled with strung out people, worse than you ever could imagine. Every 5 days someone dies of a drug OD here, most are white kids from the South Shore. Google it, don't take my word for it.

I lived in Annadale, the drug use was so bad I had to sell my house. Mothers buying from their dealers all hours of the day and night. It's disgusting out here. Do your homework. I can't imagine anyone wanting to come live here once they know what it really going on. It's not called Heroin Island for no reason!!
I grew up on the south shore (Rossville) and even though it's the more affluent area of SI, I agree with your post. Even back in the 90s and 80s, a lot of drug activity and bored kids, although now it seems to be more inclined to be prescription pills rather than hard drugs. A lot of spoiled kids that just live off their parents with no real ambition. I couldn't move out of there fast enough...I just hated the whole mentality.

I moved to South Beach which had its own problems but I much preferred living there. I almost felt like I wasn't living in SI when I lived there, which I liked.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:33 AM

278 posts, read 252,221 times
Hate to bust your ignoramus buble, Michael, but I'm not a Realtor!
I'm just a hard working, Accountant, who saw lies being posted
About my neighborhood, and decided to speak out against it!
Nothing more, nothing less!

To attempt to say derogatory remarks to a poster, based sole on
Their ethnicity, is a clear violation of TOS. The moderators, are
Clearly, not enforcing, their own rules!

Thanks for all the private messages of support, they
Are very much appreciated!

Michael, time to starch your robe, for tonight's Klan meeting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City