Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:14 PM

9 posts, read 21,438 times

Advertisements

I am a new Landlord and I have been having multiple issues with my new tenants, they are extremely demanding. Here are the issues.

- They are complaining that the refrigerator is too small even though nothing is wrong with the one they have. They just want a bigger one.

- complaining about the heat- they want to keep it at 80 degrees all the time
- complaining about non existent drafts coming from electric sockets
- complaining about the stove range- they keep insinuating its dirty and unhealthy so they can get a new one.

There are many other little complaints I won't list.

1) Am I required to get them a new refrigerator because it is "small"?

2) I want them out by the end of the lease, what will happen if they don't move out, how long will eviction process take?

3) This may make it complicated. I am the owner but I live in the basement . I am very quiet and almost never home a)is it legal although I am the owner? b) what can the tenants have against me if this gets ugly and we go to court for any reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:55 PM

575 posts, read 672,423 times
Why don't you offer to let them out of their lease, if they are so unhappy.

Then replace them.

I seriously doubt they want to go to court. They sound like they will ***** about everything, no matter what. Did they inspect the premises before signing the lease? Is it the same fridge and stove? It's not the time now to whine about them.

Do you monkey around with the heat? You shouldn't though some LLs do. They probably don't literally mean 80. But if it's cold, and it is, let them be warm. What's the big deal?

Old 03-10-2015, 07:03 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Whats the fridge size, you have provided? I see about 20 apts everyday and the fridge can come in quite a few sizes and sometimes i cant believe what is provided lol. Doesnt matter if its walk ups, older buildings, newer ones, expensive central park luxury, ive seen it all lol.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 PM

It is literally 80 degrees, I set the thermostat myself. I just turned it down to 78 degrees because it was too warm, and they are still complaining. I covered all windows with plastic, put stripping where there were drafts and even covered the electric sockets because they claim they felt air coming thru. I gave them room thermometers which shows it stays above 75 degrees all the time.

They are section 8, so I doubt they would move. I think they are trying to get over on me because I'm kind of young (30) and female .

I don't know the size of the refrigerator but it is on the small side.

yes , they did a walk through and didn't complain then.

will they give me problems because I live in the basement like not pay their portion of the rent?

Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 PM

298 posts, read 707,033 times
If you want to mess with them, get a prepaid cell phone, call 911 and tell them that the tenant is being held hostage by her boyfriend who has a gun and says he "ain't going back to jail".

Cops will come break the door down and scare the **** out of them.

You have to fight fire with fire.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:31 PM

419 posts, read 626,000 times
Kick them out, long term wise those are problematic tenants not worth of rent. Dont worry about basement as long as u dont rent them out for profit u should be fine. 78 is too much they just wanna waste your gas money i say keep it 68 and 55 after 10pm according to housing law. Its too late for them to complaint since they didnt ask when they signed for lease. dont be scare drag them to court put their names on the system.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
get rid of them.
lower the temperature to 68, tough on them.
ignore thier requests.

tell them point blank, dont like it here, you can move.

life is to precious and too short to be bothered with crap like that.
your a LL to make money, your job isnt to make them happy.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:58 PM

Thanks guys,

They have seriously been getting on my nerves. I started out as a nice landlord always catering to them, but they are in for a rude awakening because the heat's going down and I'm not fixing anything that's not broken.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:59 PM

274 posts, read 297,997 times
Eff em. Who the hell wants it 80 degrees in
side? Thats friggen hot. i think 70 is recommended.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Where is your building and what are you charging these tenants? If you're charging an insane amount, don't expect new tenants to be any less picky or complain less. People who are paying $3,000 for an apartment expect to live in comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: