Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 8,857 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a recent college graduate and my job will be in Garden City. I have only been to NYC to visit for a few days. I am from Alabama, so I am not familiar with the area but I am obsessed with the big city life. Like I said, I have absolutely no idea about the area, so I am having a hard time trying to figure out living situations.
I have a few questions if y'all can help me a bit..

If I work in Garden City, can I still live in Manhattan? I am used to commuting about a hour for work anyways.
If that is too far, what about Brooklyn? I'm not really open to living there as I've heard a lot of bad things about it.
I have a car, but I was thinking of selling it. Can I get around from Manhattan to Garden City easily without a car?
I am hoping to find a roommate, as living alone is too expensive. I would like to spend around 900-1500 on rent each month.
I need somewhere safe, my family is freaking out about me being on my own. I would like to live somewhere that is lively and for young people. Any information would be great!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
You would have to take the LIRR. I personally would just look to live in Garden City if I was in your shoes. It likely would save you a lot of money in the long run, even with the car.

If you live in Garden City you can always take the LIRR into Manhattan whenever you're off. GC is a nice area.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:25 PM

7 posts, read 8,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
You would have to take the LIRR. I personally would just look to live in Garden City if I was in your shoes. It likely would save you a lot of money in the long run, even with the car.

If you live in Garden City you can always take the LIRR into Manhattan whenever you're off. GC is a nice area.
Thank you for the information! I read quite a bit about Garden City on this forum and a lot of people said that it was terrible for young professionals and that long island would be "terribly boring." I guess I will just have to go see for myself, haha!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg87 View Post
Thank you for the information! I read quite a bit about Garden City on this forum and a lot of people said that it was terrible for young professionals and that long island would be "terribly boring." I guess I will just have to go see for myself, haha!
Most of LI, including GC, is boring compared to Manhattan. However, Manhattan is very expensive.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Most of LI, including GC, is boring compared to Manhattan. However, Manhattan is very expensive.
Garden City is PLENTY expensive too.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Garden City is PLENTY expensive too.
How does it compare to Manhattan? Even with a roommate I doubt you can easily find something for 900-1500 a month unless it's far north [which would really suck if you're working in LI].

Old 03-12-2015, 03:51 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
OP can live nearby GC - some places nicer than others. There are rentals in Mineola which is a decent neighborhood next to GC - without a car, this would be the best option plus with LIRR nearby he can go to NYC on weekends. Other nearby areas are Westbury, Carle Place and Floral Park but living there would require some driving.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 AM

664 posts, read 807,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg87 View Post
If I work in Garden City, can I still live in Manhattan? I would like to spend around 900-1500 on rent each month.
The short answer?

No.

Those kinds of rents haven't existed in Manhattan in nearly 20 years.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:11 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
How about living in Queens? Perhaps you could share an apt. in Forest Hills (which is a great neighborhood) which has a LIRR station and good subway access to Manhattan.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:44 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
You can get to garden city from the lirr at penn station in midtown manhattan, if that is what you seek to do every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City