Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:07 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

I don't see Howard Beach changing anytime soon like how some assume the Brooklyn Belt Pkwy nabes will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
^This is exactly what I thought was going to happen to Bergen. It is becoming increasingly isolated and could definitely change over the next decade. Russians will likely choose Mill Basin over Bergen as time passes, because they'll be scared of the changes as well.

Marine Park will likely become increasingly Orthodox Jewish, and their high birth rates ensure that the population will continue to grow. Plus, it feels less isolated with nearby Midwood and Sheepshead Bay, both safe neighborhoods.
The change for Bergen Beach is coming from 2 directions. From the east from Georgetown and from the North, over the avenue U line.

Mill Basin is even more segregated geographically because entrances to the neighborhood only exist via Avenue U. Also, it doesn't hurt that the really well off live in the cul-de-sac area of Mill Basin and there are very few, from any ethnicity, who can afford the housing stock there.

Orthodox Jews have been buying heavily in Marine Park because there's no space in Midwood (the houses also tend to be expensive). Those that can't find anything in Marine Park tend to go to Mill Basin.

Change is the one constant in life.
When we moved here in 1998, the entire area around was white. No one ever thought that such change would take place in a matter of 15 years. The Italians here are still in denial.
It's simply an extension of the fact that whites are a decreasing percentage of the population in the outer boroughs and their children tend to either go live in Downtown Brooklyn/ Manhattan or leave the city entirely.

It's only a matter of time before Howard Beach goes too. lol
You can't fight demographics.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 03-13-2015, 11:28 PM

260 posts, read 434,031 times
I wouldn't be as worried about Howard Beach changing. The Black population makes up 0% of the population in the census tracts there it seems. If anything, it'll become more Latino, sort of like Glendale, which is still a decent neighborhood.
Also, different dynamics at work here. Flatlands and Canarsie have a large working class and middle class Black/Carib Black population, which is spreading into nearby Bergen. Howard Beach is close to East New York, and I doubt anyone from ENY is going to buy up property there.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:38 PM

75 posts, read 123,803 times
Wow a lot of information. Definitely don't want to buy in an area that's likely turning black..lot to think about.

If people don't like the changes, why not just refuse to rent or sell to people they don't want there?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:47 PM

Maybe the city isn't a good idea. All of these good solid areas seem too unstable and we are looking forever house I did enough white flighting in my youth in Philly I don't want to play the game of constantly running as the area (and kids school) turns black

Old 03-14-2015, 02:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFromPhilly View Post
Thank you all so much! Actually driving down to look because I got offered an oppurtunity to be a crew leader for a carpentry shop based out of Sunset Park area (1st ave and 40s) that mainly works south BK and SI. So I need to be by the belt pkwy to drive to Sunset to get the van. Marine Park, Gerritsen, and Lindenwood/Howard Beach are probably the best bets. We are looking for 3 bedrooms under $750/800k hopefully less and I'm willing to renovate. The kids are with my sister and law and we are gonna get a hotel and stay the evening so off topic can anyone recommend a good Jewish deli in Brooklyn..haven't had a decent roast beef sandwich in a long time.

Have you considered Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights? BR has more to do but DH sounds like it might be more your speed.

Very close to the Sunset Park industrial area and very easy to get to SI from these neighborhoods. Driving on the Belt Parkway in the morning with traffic every day gets very tiring...

And since you don't mind renovating, you can have fun with this one: 432 Marine Avenue, Brooklyn NY For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 03-14-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Have you considered Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights? BR has more to do but DH sounds like it might be more your speed.

Very close to the Sunset Park industrial area and very easy to get to SI from these neighborhoods. Driving on the Belt Parkway in the morning with traffic every day gets very tiring...

And since you don't mind renovating, you can have fun with this one: 432 Marine Avenue, Brooklyn NY For Sale | Trulia.com
Bay ridge I read another thread is turning into a Muslim area and Dyker heights is too close to Bensonhurst for me personally. I don't think buying into any area but marine park/Gerritsen or Howard beach Is a good idea because I don't want to have to keep moving every few years because of white flight

Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Are you a backup profile from "MichaelReilly"?

Anyway, all the areas you listed all pretty much have the same pros and cons as each other. Which is, they are all overwhelmingly white, isolated neighborhoods surrounded by, or near water.

I personally would choose Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights over any of those areas.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

Anyway, all the areas you listed all pretty much have the same pros and cons as each other. Which is, they are all overwhelmingly white, isolated neighborhoods surrounded by, or near water.

What?
Yeah I know what these areas are but everyone here is scaring me with writing how they are sll turning black. This site has a lot of diversity hype so idk but I want to buy into a place that will look similar in 10 years

Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

I think this guy is legit. He just wants to stay by the Belt for easy access to work. And you can't really blame him for not wanting to live in a black neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City