Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:39 PM

144 posts, read 163,522 times

Advertisements

What would you think if you met a person socially who is a well-adjusted US-educated immigrant with a well-paying job in finance who lives in a heavily immigrant neighborhood (in a boro) as opposed to "trendy" hoods of Brooklyn and Manhattan where all yuppies tend to live? Like Brighton Beach for example or Astoria or Chinatown in Queens? Say this person IS actually of the ethnicity that is the majority in that neighborhood. Would most people think something is wrong with this person and consider him/her undatable and socially undesirable?

I am considering moving in a heavy immigrant neighborhood, mostly because I found it to be dirt-cheap, conveniently located train-wise and having amenities that I like. My student loan debt is really getting to me and I want to obliterate my student loan debt in one year which is impossible if I live in th City. However I am afraid to become a social outcast amongst my peers. Any thoughts?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-18-2015, 01:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,300,868 times
I wouldn't use Astoria as an example. Its on par with those Brooklyn nabes you are referring to.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:05 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
What would you think if you met a person socially who is a well-adjusted US-educated immigrant with a well-paying job in finance who lives in a heavily immigrant neighborhood (in a boro) as opposed to "trendy" hoods of Brooklyn and Manhattan where all yuppies tend to live? Like Brighton Beach for example or Astoria or Chinatown in Queens? Say this person IS actually of the ethnicity that is the majority in that neighborhood. Would most people think something is wrong with this person and consider him/her undatable and socially undesirable?

I am considering moving in a heavy immigrant neighborhood, mostly because I found it to be dirt-cheap, conveniently located train-wise and having amenities that I like. My student loan debt is really getting to me and I want to obliterate my student loan debt in one year which is impossible if I live in th City. However I am afraid to become a social outcast amongst my peers. Any thoughts?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
If your peers are douchebags then yes they would think less of you. If they are good people they wouldn't care less. Either way you come out on top.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:22 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,058,035 times
Quote:

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I find it hard to believe anyone actually thinks this way.If this is a serious post you have to get counseling for your lack of self esteem and social insecurity very soon.

If your "peers" actually think the way you are afraid they think then they are shallow and useless people and you should dump them ASAP.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,919,780 times
I would be embarrassed to admit living in some of the downtown neighborhoods given what they have become.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM

257 posts, read 684,412 times
You will still be living in the "City". This is New York, not London; there's no special city within the city called The City of New York. Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island have been a part of this city for long enough that there are no people alive who remember the times when they weren't. If you're worried about being judged and becoming undateable because of your residence's zip code, grow up, you're not in high school anymore.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,383,916 times
Practice saying this: "I found a great deal on rent. It'll bring down my student loans faster."

Among some, you might be more dateable. One thing people fear is getting pulled down by someone else's debt.

Don't act like it's a defeat. It's a smart financial decision. Own it.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,560,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I find it hard to believe anyone actually thinks this way.If this is a serious post you have to get counseling for your lack of self esteem and social insecurity very soon.

If your "peers" actually think the way you are afraid they think then they are shallow and useless people and you should dump them ASAP.
Nothing more to be said. OP, what kind of people do you usually hang out with?!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:06 PM

515 posts, read 874,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Practice saying this: "I found a great deal on rent. It'll bring down my student loans faster."
Practice saying "I moved there because I wanted to." You shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone. If your friends and peers can't accept you for who you are, where you live then guess what - you need new friends. You should also take a good look at yourself.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,023,432 times
Quote:

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Neigborhood discrimination is very real. People have prejudged notions and biases of a particular area. People naturally do this all the time regardless of poor or rich or black and white, Jew or Gentile. Employers tend to do neighborhood discrimination at times, they may one someone who lives closer to work or some sort as the excuse. As for dating? From my experiences being with both local natives and out of town careerist white women who come from the suburbs and move to NYC to mold themselves. Local women don't really prejudge, if they like you they like, most important thing is that you have to be very good looking with local women. As long as your good looking she would travel from Staten Island via ferry to the Bronx to see her man. Transient women are a bit different. For example I use OKC and in my area of the Bronx, the local women don't use OKC, but use POF and Badoo. OKC I see profiles in Upper East Side, Harlem, and even Astoria. I had a few chats here and there with some women, but once I said Bronx the conversation turned down hill. If a woman has prejudgements about where you live, than that's her and that is not a person that you should not be with because she will never be humble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post

Among some, you might be more dateable. One thing people fear is getting pulled down by someone else's debt.

Don't act like it's a defeat. It's a smart financial decision. Own it.
This is very true. She might be witty, cultured, lives the Wiliamsburg lifestyle and may even have a decent job but she attended NYU and has 200k in debt? I'd screw her and pass her along to the next guy. I'm good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: