Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 AM

44 posts, read 252,078 times

Advertisements

Today the super asked my husband why we were the only people in the building who had not given him a holiday tip. I don't know what excuse my husband gave, but I am really upset at the super. A holiday tip is voluntary as far as I understand and is given because one has received good service. Well, this man is not nice and friendly and has not given us good service. Case in point: After we signed the lease, my husband came over to the apartment and found that there were 5 holes in the door because someone had removed the deadbolt. Neither one of us recalls seeing this when we looked at the place (and they are VERY obvious holes), so we assume the super took the lock (since the place was vacant already when we looked at it, so the previous tenants couldn't have taken it). He asked the super to either fix the holes or install a new lock. The super refused and said that my husband would have to pay him $150 to install a new lock. My husband then contacted the landlord and the landlord ended up putting him in a 3 way call with the super's son who screamed at my husband to never call the landlord again. Oh, and they still refused to do anything about the holes, telling us to stuff them with paper if they bothered us. Finally I just went and got a lock and planned to installed it. I called the super to see if I could borrow a screwdriver since our household goods were still in transit. He refused and said it was our business and not his. I had to go buy a screwdriver and finally got the stupid lock installed. So, obviously I have a bitter taste in my mouth from that incident and don't feel that the super deserves anything at all. Add to it that the man can barely say a "good morning" when he sees us (and I always say good morning to him when I see him..) and you can possibly see my point. AND now the guy is begging for a tip?! Come on! We've only had him fix a couple of things in the apartment and at that time my husband gave him a tip. I don't know, but are we being rude by not tipping the guy. We don't plan to renew the lease in October so it's not like I'm looking for him to give us lots of good service in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
that sucks man.....

Old 01-14-2008, 10:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Welcome to New York City. Supers always expect tips. And they have ways of getting revenge if they don't receive one.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 AM

44 posts, read 252,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Welcome to New York City. Supers always expect tips. And they have ways of getting revenge if they don't receive one.
I hate that stupid static "Welcome to New York City". It's a lame excuse for every unbelievable and rude behaviour out there. Doesn't matter what anyone does, it's always "welcome to New York City". Just because it's NYC, it doesn't mean that people have a license to be horrible people.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside_gal View Post
I hate that stupid static "Welcome to New York City". It's a lame excuse for every unbelievable and rude behaviour out there. Doesn't matter what anyone does, it's always "welcome to New York City". Just because it's NYC, it doesn't mean that people have a license to be horrible people.
Certain things hold true for certain areas. If you are in South Carolina you can expect waves from people on the porch as you drive by their homes (doesn't matter if you know them or not.)

In south florida you can count on extremely rude and obnoxious people.

In NYC you can expect...you get the point.

Certain things just come with the territory. At least you don't have your super's kids breaking into your home and stealing stuff (that happened to a friend of mine, in Brooklyn)

Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times
lol @ the super tip

why not tip a cop when he comes to break up the domestic fight from the neighbor next door
why not tip your post worker when they deliver your new laptop
why not tip the customer service rep who goes beyodn the call of duty
why not tip your dentist who cleans your teeth
why not tip your pastor who listens to you b.s. stories
why not tip the teacher who taught your kids trigonometry
why not tip the train conductor who takes you to work everyday
why not tip the mta bus driver
why not tip the fire fighters who put out the blazes

tell the super to SHOVE IT. i remember you saying something about the super not responding to your greeting him. that's just rude and he has the nerve to ask you for a tip. what's he gonna do? shake you down?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Rude/lazy supers make me mad. I did tip my super for the holidays- he knows me quite well - and he never bothered to thank me even though he's seen me numerous times since I left the card under his door. Maybe he's making a point that my tip ($40 - this is in Queens) was so insignificant it did not warrant his acknowledgment?

In your super's defense (not about the tipping but about the screwdriver): if I were a super, I would never ever lend any tool out to anyone. It's hard enough to get tools/books/cameras etc. back from my good friends - I can just imagine how hard it is to get a screwdriver back from a tenant.

Though -if he hadn't been such a jerk in the first place, you would not have needed it!!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
It seems I hear quite a few nightmare landlord/super stories. I hate to sound naive, but I hope this isn't the norm.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
what's he gonna do? shake you down?
No, what he will do is take his own sweet time every time you need his help.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:06 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
I actually didn't leave a tip this year and feel a little bit guilty about it because the Super is pretty decent at my place. He's a big FOB though (can't speak more than a dozen words of English) so I'm hoping that he hasn't come to expect a tip just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City