U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,775 times

Advertisements

Im hoping you guys can help me. I am a full-time student and also work and I recently got called in for an interview. Now I know that being a full-time student would disqualify me, but when I applied I applied by myself and things were different. I do not want to let this oppourtunity slide as It would be life changing for me but what would be my options in order not to get disqualified. Also what if I had my mom living with me even though I didnt put her in the application, could I just take her to the interview with me and have her be the main leaser holder? we would both be splitting the rent so both our incomes would have to be considered would that still disqualify me because im a fulltime student and shes's not? Please let me know. I was only given 5 days notice to get everything prepared and I dont want to waste my or their time by going and ending up being disqualified? Thank you all help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,090,936 times
You were called for an interview to what- an affordable housing situation?

Were you a full time student when you applied? I don't think that they want full time students because you might not have a steady income. What was your situation when you applied?

I don't know if you can add your mother to the application at this point because you probably applied for an apartment with certain parameters. It's not like getting married or having a child; I think most affordable housing situations allow for those kind of changes. Would you be able to afford a two bedroom apartment even with your mother on the lease?

Old 03-20-2015, 06:29 PM

yes for affordable housing (the lottery kind). When I applied I wasnt a student and had a full-time job. But now Im a fulltime student with two part time jobs. Yes we could be able to afford it but most likely they will give us a one bedroom since it's just us two and in the letter they said it was either for a studio or one bedroom which I would take since it would be better than our current situation.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:34 PM

if any1 has been in this similar situation please let me know what you would do or what happened to you

Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 PM

516 posts, read 692,681 times
You will be automatically disqualified. They do not accept people without steady income.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:39 PM

we both have steady income

Old 03-20-2015, 08:50 PM

6,355 posts, read 5,830,919 times
Full time students are typically disqualified. I'd still go to the interview if you don't have to miss school or work just incase this lottery is different than the rest but wouldn't get my hopes up. And be pleasantly surprised if they still let me continue with the process.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 AM

21,413 posts, read 28,216,529 times
All I can add is that you might as well try.

But remember, when they have a dozen or a hundred applicants per apartment, it takes only one misstep to disqualify you and you seem to have a couple.

I'm having trouble reconciling "full time student" with "steady income."
If you have a job and paystubs to show for it, then hide your being a student completely.

If you applied for a 1 bedroom, that is what they are calling you for and you and your mom will be a problem if you are a guy, can't share a bedroom. If a girl, it might work.

I guess we can presume that your "steady income" is below the limit? Then make sure that yours and your mom's is not ABOVE the limit.

Good luck...everybody needs some.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:12 PM

yes I'm a girl. But how could I hide being a student. wouldn't they just find out anyways? With both of our incomes combined we would qualify for a one bedroom and would be within the limit. I don't have paystubs since I get paid in cash. I wish they had given me more time to get everything in order.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:01 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 5,987,911 times
Income matters, not student status. People go back to school all the time for many reasons, at all ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or