Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,837,610 times

Advertisements

There was a documentary shown on one of the public television stations about gangs in NYC in the 1950's. It was mostly teens and they belonged to different racial and ethnic groups. Even though it was a different time, alot of the same social problems were occuring at the time, that are occurring now all over the city. Many social programs were put it place along with law enforcement geared toward these teens to show them that life could be different for them. This was very successful. It broke up youth gangs where they didn't exist in the city for a long time. Maybe some of these things can be updated and applied for todays youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM

242 posts, read 924,911 times
The thing is young gangbangers grow up.

They do short bids in there late teens and early twenties where they learn from more experienced criminals. The more ambitious and intelligent ones will eventually end up leading more sophisticated criminal enterprises.
Mafia power grew largely from there role as middle men between middle eastern heroin and american markets.
Dominican Gangs can and will make a killing as middle men for the Columbian Cartels.

However, I do agree its the same old story with new players

Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 13,295 times
The New York City mentallity is and has always been Make money. The Reason the Bloods and Crips are not as violent in NYC than in the Western part of the U.S. is the overall culture. In the West Coast the Bloods and Crips are much older and have a History of shooting eachother on an almost daily basis. The Police are outnumbered in L.A. like 5-1 by the Gang members alone , not even counting the "other" criminals. Guns are also easier to attain in the West. You can but Shotguns and Ammo in Walmart easily. This atmostphere leads to much more violence. When I am in the Bronx I cannot stand on a main street corner 10 minutes without a Cop rolling by. When I was in Compton I went 3 days straight without seeing a cop roll through the neighborhood I was staying in Ludas Park...But the structure is there. Thounsands of Bloods and the Crips are growing. All it would take is somone important or super popular from one of the major Gangs to be killed, and the retaliation will start a Major Gang War on the streets of N.Y. and the Police cannot arrest everyone

Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM

As For the Dominicans(and I am one myself) It's only a matter of Time, before a True Domincan Mafia Starts and as with the Mexican Mafia and the Surrenos in the West. They will put a Cease to the Trinitario vs DDp infighting and make them join forces for the sake of the All Mighty Dollar.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
There was a documentary shown on one of the public television stations about gangs in NYC in the 1950's. It was mostly teens and they belonged to different racial and ethnic groups. Even though it was a different time, alot of the same social problems were occuring at the time, that are occurring now all over the city. Many social programs were put it place along with law enforcement geared toward these teens to show them that life could be different for them. This was very successful. It broke up youth gangs where they didn't exist in the city for a long time. Maybe some of these things can be updated and applied for todays youth.

The Problem is in the 50's the rampant Drug problem and the profits that can be made from it's distribution Did not exsist. Today you have to show at risk youth, that It will actaully be lucrative to them finacially in the short term(because Most at risk youth are not thinking Long term)to NOT join a Gang. New members are the Life Blood of Any Gang. To Stop Gangs you must defeat the reasons people would join one in the first place. The Main two being Poverty and a sense of Family. Since living in a capitolist society, we need somone to be poor or the Rich could not exsist. Then there will always be Gangs on some level. The Names will change but there will be Gangs none the less.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM

119 posts, read 383,544 times
This thread is from over 2 years ago.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM

423 posts, read 1,276,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoldno7 View Post
This thread is from over 2 years ago.
The gangs aren't getting smaller... if anything, I know trinitarios are getting bigger and bigger.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,938,302 times
Where are the Golden Guineas, Black Spades, Savage Nomads, Royal Javelins, Devils Rebels, The Ministers. Most of all the gangs that are in nyc are imported gangs from other parts of this country and from abroad like bloods, crips, latin kings, Nates and abroad gangs like ddp los trinis and suernos. To bad there is no real New York gangs anymore.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:47 PM

160 posts, read 1,678,016 times
NYC was never really about gangs. In this city, its more about having money, not being in a gang.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,924,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
NYC was never really about gangs. In this city, its more about having money, not being in a gang.
Is the mafia/s considered a gang? I would think yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City