Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,315,972 times

Advertisements

Coolchris the most notorious gangs in NYC's history were all white, the Irish gangs, the Jewish Mob, and of course the Italian mob were all notorious. How can you say white neighborhoods don't have gangs? Dumb statement. And I have seen the way they handle things, and it isn't with their fists. The days of good old fashioned fist fights went away when guns came on to the scene, and that's how gangs handled it.

The mob was famous for SEEMING to be a family guy, with a stable job, and a role model for their kids. The reality was they were controlling crime, killing people, and corrupting government and police. You, like so many, are quick to blame the black guy with his pants hanging down for stealing your IPOD as the cause for the destruction of our society, but ignore/give a free pass to the white guy who is stealing your retirement funds, draining the equity from your home, and stealing your future....who is the real problem here? And your comment that white neighborhoods don't have gangs, just little crews is more revisionist history and the same free pass, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM

224 posts, read 1,082,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Coolchris the most notorious gangs in NYC's history were all white, the Irish gangs, the Jewish Mob, and of course the Italian mob were all notorious. How can you say white neighborhoods don't have gangs? Dumb statement. And I have seen the way they handle things, and it isn't with their fists. The days of good old fashioned fist fights went away when guns came on to the scene, and that's how gangs handled it.

The mob was famous for SEEMING to be a family guy, with a stable job, and a role model for their kids. The reality was they were controlling crime, killing people, and corrupting government and police. You, like so many, are quick to blame the black guy with his pants hanging down for stealing your IPOD as the cause for the destruction of our society, but ignore/give a free pass to the white guy who is stealing your retirement funds, draining the equity from your home, and stealing your future....who is the real problem here? And your comment that white neighborhoods don't have gangs, just little crews is more revisionist history and the same free pass, as usual.

100% right. Lets say, "I worded that wrong". Its MORE common to see STREET gangs in Black or Hispanic neighborhoods, I admitted you see crews made up of Irish, Italian, Polish, Albanian, Russian, Jewish, Greek, German, etc etc kids in Ethnic White neighborhoods you find throughout the boroughs, but they arent HUGE gangs, just smalltime crews or whatever, I knew of a few in Morris Park. Like I said, though back in the days, when the Ethnic White presence was much larger and much more spread other then just a few neighborhoods in The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan, you have Staten Island with a lot of neighborhoods and probably a good amount of white gangs or whatever, but thats that.. I never heard about the gangs back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, going out and mugging, robbing, killing INNOCENT people either. But thats just me

I highly doubt the transplant yuppies children are involved in gangs.

Like I said, most of the White gangs in the city are just small crews in Ethnic Enclaves you find in The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island or maybe Manhattan(Lower East Side, East Village, Hells Kitchen, Inwood, Yorkville, still have a pretty decent presence of Ethnic Whites left, I have known some Irish, Italian, Jews, Polish, German, from these areas that are still on rent-control)

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM

337 posts, read 965,814 times
It's true!! Dominicans Don't Play!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,785,482 times
I couldn't post this before but this was in reference to jcoltrane's comment

I do agree for the most part that NYC is not a gang city like LA or chicago but to say that we don't have gangs is really naive... Believe as a teacher for the past 15 years I can tell you that from what I observed, the gang culture really took off late 90s... died down early to mid 2000s, and ever since 07 has really picked up... And the problem is that it isn't just your typical Bloods, Crips, Kings, 3nis... There's a bunch of different gangs throughout the city that do want to emulate that LA style and settle their disputes with guns rather than the NYC way of straight up fighting... Two gangs like this that are always going at it is YGs vs. YBs. I don't know who they branched off from but these two go at it in Harlem and some parts of Brooklyn and South Jamaica/Far Rock in Queens... I think they are probably the biggest set in Far Rock/South Jamaica then Bloods then Crips...

And the Bloods and Crips in areas like these don't stop banging at 18... I've worked in South Jamaica/South Ozone park and coming home you see guys in there 30s that are ignorant enough to believe that nobody understands what they're saying talking about the deals that go down over there, etc.

I'll give you Latin Kings and Trinitarios now seems to be more of a little kid gang war more than anything else, but gangs are growing in this city from Dominicans to Black to Mexican... Mexicans are really putting in work as of late and are all over the place... Unless this gang movement slows down this problem will not get any better...

In response to the new posts taking place between sobroguy and coolchris, Sobroguy is 100% correct on this point and that's what most people including coolchris ignore and even ignored in his response... @ coolchris not picking on you, but try to answer the point sobroguy was making about which group is more dangerous and were a bigger problem in terms of crime...

Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,315,972 times
I agree John O'Leary..if only that was the policy from the beginning, all the Irish would have been shipped back to Ireland, and with a name like O'Leary, you would have been the first one shipped back.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I couldn't post this before but this was in reference to jcoltrane's comment

I do agree for the most part that NYC is not a gang city like LA or chicago but to say that we don't have gangs is really naive... Believe as a teacher for the past 15 years I can tell you that from what I observed, the gang culture really took off late 90s... died down early to mid 2000s, and ever since 07 has really picked up... And the problem is that it isn't just your typical Bloods, Crips, Kings, 3nis... There's a bunch of different gangs throughout the city that do want to emulate that LA style and settle their disputes with guns rather than the NYC way of straight up fighting... Two gangs like this that are always going at it is YGs vs. YBs. I don't know who they branched off from but these two go at it in Harlem and some parts of Brooklyn and South Jamaica/Far Rock in Queens... I think they are probably the biggest set in Far Rock/South Jamaica then Bloods then Crips...

And the Bloods and Crips in areas like these don't stop banging at 18... I've worked in South Jamaica/South Ozone park and coming home you see guys in there 30s that are ignorant enough to believe that nobody understands what they're saying talking about the deals that go down over there, etc.

I'll give you Latin Kings and Trinitarios now seems to be more of a little kid gang war more than anything else, but gangs are growing in this city from Dominicans to Black to Mexican... Mexicans are really putting in work as of late and are all over the place... Unless this gang movement slows down this problem will not get any better...

In response to the new posts taking place between sobroguy and coolchris, Sobroguy is 100% correct on this point and that's what most people including coolchris ignore and even ignored in his response... @ coolchris not picking on you, but try to answer the point sobroguy was making about which group is more dangerous and were a bigger problem in terms of crime...

He was talking about organized mafias/mobs. They are two completely different types of groups, one is a street gang, one is an organized group. Usually the latter one won't mess with you unless you get involved with them(i.e. borrowing money, buying things from them, ripping them off, hookers, beating one of their guys up in a bar, etc, etc.) ONE group was very vicious and it was the Westies (Irish street gang), started out as the Hells Kitchen West Side Irish mob, in the 60s they were comparable to the Italian mafia, then in the 70s and 80s, they became reckless, unorganized, killed a lot of people in very bad ways, kept body parts as trophies, were rivals of the 5 families and the only other group the Italians showed "fear" of because they were very unpredicatable, and Rudy Guilani called them "The most savage gang in the long history of New York street gangs"... These people are looked down upon by the majority of the Irish American community, they killed many innocent people who weren't even invovled in anything, they killed husbands, fathers, sons, wives, daughters, etc. They were not good people, they were POS. I would think Italians do the same about the mafia... It may seem cool in movies, in reality they are all scum

I have noticed, that in the Black/Hispanic community, these types of people are "looked up to". That is not a good thing, the majority of the Ethnic White community in NYC is not involved in the mafia/mob or street gangs. I have met many Black and Hispanics youths who I personally known were involved in gangs.

I didnt avoid his question, but its retarded to say Irish Catholics have more gangs currently then Blacks or Hispanics.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,785,482 times
Nobody said currently... we are saying this is more of an economic issue rather than a race issue...

"I have noticed, that in the Black/Hispanic community, these types of people are "looked up to".

once again no offense bro but that is one of the stupidest comments i've ever heard on city-data and it highlights the ignorance of alot of people that don't know any better and cannot remove themselves from their prejudices... To the poor 12-25 year old minorities in the hood yes that is the case for about 60% of them... What's the reality for the other 90% of Blacks and Hispanics... we look down upon them and some either choose to try and help them out (like myself as a HS and JHS teacher in a low-income minority school), others forget the hood they came from completely and move on to bigger better things and want nothing to do with that culture...

So you're telling me a black doctor that lives in Forest Hills "looks up to" the thugs on the street... never mind, you gave your intelligence away with that statement right there... No need to continue debating anything with you...

Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Nobody said currently... we are saying this is more of an economic issue rather than a race issue...

"I have noticed, that in the Black/Hispanic community, these types of people are "looked up to".

once again no offense bro but that is one of the stupidest comments i've ever heard on city-data and it highlights the ignorance of alot of people that don't know any better and cannot remove themselves from their prejudices... To the poor 12-25 year old minorities in the hood yes that is the case for about 60% of them... What's the reality for the other 90% of Blacks and Hispanics... we look down upon them and some either choose to try and help them out (like myself as a HS and JHS teacher in a low-income minority school), others forget the hood they came from completely and move on to bigger better things and want nothing to do with that culture...

So you're telling me a black doctor that lives in Forest Hills "looks up to" the thugs on the street... never mind, you gave your intelligence away with that statement right there... No need to continue debating anything with you...
Really, a 25 year old needs to be told not to look up to rapists, murderers, and guys who mug old ladies? wow, coulda fooled me

Lets just say I made a few mistakes as well and was away for a while, and that I know about this probably more so then you do, I am not going to go in detail about it. But trust me, they know what theyre doing, they just dont want to change.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 PM

You need to stop treating them like babies, you call white criminals this and that, but oh because their black or hispanic, they get the "minority special sympathy" , please bro, everybody has hard lives, I knw I did, you get past it and you do what god put you on this earth for!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
100% right. Lets say, "I worded that wrong". Its MORE common to see STREET gangs in low-income neighborhoods,
Fixed.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City