Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:31 PM

337 posts, read 969,051 times

Advertisements

Gangs aren't a major problem in ny. Cities like Chicago have literally hundreds of different gangs and it's out of control. Weren't they considering calling the national guard in Chicago a few years ago to help combat the gang problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I couldn't post this before but this was in reference to jcoltrane's comment

I do agree for the most part that NYC is not a gang city like LA or chicago but to say that we don't have gangs is really naive... Believe as a teacher for the past 15 years I can tell you that from what I observed, the gang culture really took off late 90s... died down early to mid 2000s, and ever since 07 has really picked up... And the problem is that it isn't just your typical Bloods, Crips, Kings, 3nis... There's a bunch of different gangs throughout the city that do want to emulate that LA style and settle their disputes with guns rather than the NYC way of straight up fighting... Two gangs like this that are always going at it is YGs vs. YBs. I don't know who they branched off from but these two go at it in Harlem and some parts of Brooklyn and South Jamaica/Far Rock in Queens... I think they are probably the biggest set in Far Rock/South Jamaica then Bloods then Crips...

And the Bloods and Crips in areas like these don't stop banging at 18... I've worked in South Jamaica/South Ozone park and coming home you see guys in there 30s that are ignorant enough to believe that nobody understands what they're saying talking about the deals that go down over there, etc.

I'll give you Latin Kings and Trinitarios now seems to be more of a little kid gang war more than anything else, but gangs are growing in this city from Dominicans to Black to Mexican... Mexicans are really putting in work as of late and are all over the place... Unless this gang movement slows down this problem will not get any better...

In response to the new posts taking place between sobroguy and coolchris, Sobroguy is 100% correct on this point and that's what most people including coolchris ignore and even ignored in his response... @ coolchris not picking on you, but try to answer the point sobroguy was making about which group is more dangerous and were a bigger problem in terms of crime...

In reference to the bolded part, its funny you say that because most of the people I knew who witnessed the crack era from the late 80's to early 90's and were apart of that chaos, put that life behind them once they reached a certain age, because for them it was all about surviving albeit in the wrong way. But they become more introspective...enter the late 90's with the LA gang biting. This thing now is not just a way to make ends meet like before, its a lifestyle, a mentality where being a criminal is culture and its meant to be generational. You got dudes well into there 30's (i.e. Cam'ron, Jim Jones), waving red flags and gang signs and encouraging young people to carry on tradition.

I know people from LA who laugh at us over here because our youth are killing each other over streets they've never heard of. Even the ones that were apart of that lifestyle out west wish it was never picked up out here.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:57 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
In reference to the bolded part, its funny you say that because most of the people I knew who witnessed the crack era from the late 80's to early 90's and were apart of that chaos, put that life behind them once they reached a certain age, because for them it was all about surviving albeit in the wrong way. But they become more introspective...enter the late 90's with the LA gang biting. This thing now is not just a way to make ends meet like before, its a lifestyle, a mentality where being a criminal is culture and its meant to be generational. You got dudes well into there 30's (i.e. Cam'ron, Jim Jones), waving red flags and gang signs and encouraging young people to carry on tradition.

I know people from LA who laugh at us over here because our youth are killing each other over streets they've never heard of. Even the ones that were apart of that lifestyle out west wish it was never picked up out here.
So true...

Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM

Default Irony

Quote:
So true...

I would've continued but our local "set" started a shoot out outside, so I left to make sure nobody I knew was hurt. (no lie)

Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
It's too hot outside... People are getting restless... Btw, Clinton Hill whats the majority? UBN?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Gangbangers killing gangbangers is good thing. I saw on the news the other day a 14 yr old was killed in flatbush. His mother was saying he wasn't in a gang. Sure.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Gangbangers killing gangbangers is good thing. I saw on the news the other day a 14 yr old was killed in flatbush. His mother was saying he wasn't in a gang. Sure.
I have no problems with gangbangers killing gangbangers or thugs killing thugs but sometimes these lowlifes prey on ordinary citizens or kill an ordinary citizen by accident or during the melee.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:03 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
how do you he was in a gang?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It's too hot outside... People are getting restless... Btw, Clinton Hill whats the majority? UBN?
Yeah, with some Trini on the Myrtle and Classon side. I live on the border so its technically Bed-Stuy. @ el77 the things you say and the assumptions you make are amazing. I for one don't care much for the bangers, but I don't want ANY murders taking place in my neighborhood I don't care who is killing who. Its bad for quality of life and eventually innocent people get hit, especially kids.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM

[quote=homenj;20134506]how do you he was in a gang?[/quote

I saw his photos. Typical hood kid with his scumbag buddies in a photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City