Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 09:15 PM

69 posts, read 156,943 times

Advertisements

I know it varies based on the lottery, but are most of them like 1 in 10,000? Have people on here won some?

I make between 60 and 70k and it seems there aren't that many at least in manhattan for these lotteries in this range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,762,075 times
Getting called in for an interview and actually winning it are 2 different things. It is much harder for people making 50-80k to qualify for these lotteries.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago:
Its funny how in Dec 2010 i received a letter from Related on a west 42st 80/20 program that my application log was #8995. Feb 2015 i got a letter to schedule an interview for the building. Sadly my who financial situation has changed over the yrs and being married so i didnt even bother to set up an interview as our income was too much.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 PM

483 posts, read 689,968 times
In my experience, "rather poor, unless you have a preference" (municipal employee, disabled, etc.). Firstly, those categories of people take heavy allotments from the overall percentage of apartments available. Secondly, like silverbullnyc says, you can "get an interview", and then never hear from a place again, even if they don't disqualify you. (And it's highly likely they will disqualify almost everyone, I've seen multiple stories of people on this board reporting they gave up after receiving some letter that doesn't even describe their situation.) I'm on "the backup list" for places I can't even find the affordable-record for anymore, like they went market rate and no one bothered to tell me. I still get Related's 80/20 mailings, sometimes I post them in the lobby of my current building for anyone who might want them, because I passed the qualifying salary like 3 jobs and 15 years ago, lol.

Thirdly, a 60-70K slot is indeed awful for everyone, because for some reason unless you fall in the aforementioned preference categories, you'll only be considered for apartments hovering around $2K/mo., never for that secondary category of "really bargain apartments" at the realistically affordable price of $1,516 or suchlike. Even if your salary falls within the qualification for both rent ranges. They just seem to assume that if you make 70K you want to stop your food budget in order to pay the $2,000, because everyone wants to pay rent above their means or something. Me, I wouldn't overextend myself to be houseproud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City