Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,271,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ahhh... Will have to read that part again. Will say though, he is right about some Klan members now being Italian. Can tell you there was a time in Bensonhurst where there was talk about the Klan existing. Never knew if it was true or not, but would be funny simply because always thought the Klan wasn't wild about Catholics. If they've relinquished that ideology, then they must be much more accepting than before.
We've had Klan members and Nazis here in Ridgewood and Glendale, but typically they were of German descent. I don't think they were out socializing as such. Mostly were in hiding from authorities. At this point I'd assume they've all mostly died off by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,210,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
We've had Klan members and Nazis here in Ridgewood and Glendale, but typically they were of German descent. I don't think they were out socializing as such. Mostly were in hiding from authorities. At this point I'd assume they've all mostly died off by now.
Can remember being in the Middle Village/Glendale area for the World Cup and saw the German shops along the avenue. Back then, can recall us celebrating right in the street when Italy won. Handed out free cantaloupe. Never hugged so many men before in my life. Seemed relatively diverse even then, though mainly white.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,578,403 times
Quote:
You should really avoid trying to get into the psyche of the bigot. It is not healthy, and will just turn you into a bigot yourself.

Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Argentinians, Paraguayans, Uruguayans, Persians, some Arabs, Italians, Greeks, Serbians, Armenians, Koreans, Japanese, some Chinese, etc...are all white people to a certain extent.
Okay...what?
In what way are Koreans and Japanese people white?

Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Ahhh... Will have to read that part again. Will say though, he is right about some Klan members now being Italian. Can tell you there was a time in Bensonhurst where there was talk about the Klan existing. .
Wow. That's a little too close for comfort

Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay...what?
In what way are Koreans and Japanese people white?
East Asians have white privilege from the point of view of Southeast Asians. Hence why questionnaires now always differentiate country of origin as it pertains to the Asian race.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Yes I know all of that but thanks for the history lesson. If you go back far enough in history, yes Italians worked the docks in the South in some cases and yes they were treated as poorly as the blacks.

Bigot? Am of European ancestry myself. Think I know the history of my country. If you're Italian, there are movies and books that document this. You can either be denial or do your research. It was common for Italians to be hung, lynched etc because they were not given white status immediately when they came, and yes in some cases they were treated as poorly as blacks. They were in a battle to cement their status in the country so just like other groups that came before them, they had to struggle. A good chunk of my background is of Southern Italian ancestry, so I know my history very well, speak the language and have lived in the old country and elsewhere. Depending on where in Italy one is from, can be quite mixed. The Spanish, the Greeks, the Moors and many other groups had an impact on parts of Italy. The North also saw its mixture mainly from nearby areas. No one ever said the groups you mentioned aren't mixed or have some degrees of European ancestry. They all are. Some like the Chileans and Argentines may be of European mixture or a mixture of Indian and Spanish or even black (small amounts but the mixture is there). Both places had a large amount of European migration, but that doesn't mean that the indigenous population was completely wiped out, though some would like to believe that, and while black slaves weren't carried to either country in high numbers, they were carried there nonetheless. I have friends from both countries who fit the stereotype of being all European and some that don't, including an Argentine female who appears to be very white, but whose mother was mixed with black in Argentina. She used to always joke and comment about it because most Argentines will point to their Italian and Spanish ancestry.
Just as white Europeans colonized North America, white Europeans colonized South America.
There were Native Americans on both continents, and African slaves on both.
So just as there are white people in North American countries (the descendants of the European colonizers), it stands to reason that there are white people in South American countries.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
East Asians have white privilege from the point of view of Southeast Asians.
"White privilege" is different than actually being white.
"White privilege" is also a term that may or may not really exist, it's up for argument.
It's one of those terms that is currently in fashion now but I don't put much stake in it.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
"White privilege" is different than actually being white.
"White privilege" is also a term that may or may not really exist, it's up for argument.
It's one of those terms that is currently in fashion now but I don't put much stake in it.
I don't have time to differentiate, so I'll just throw them all in the "white" bucket.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I don't have time to differentiate, so I'll just throw them all in the "white" bucket.
That's ridiculous.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,210,957 times
Quote:
Just as white Europeans colonized North America, white Europeans colonized South America.
There were Native Americans on both continents, and African slaves on both.
So just as there are white people in North American countries (the descendants of the European colonizers), it stands to reason that there are white people in South American countries.
Am not debating that, but colonization in Latin America was not the same as it was in North America, not even close. The English and Spanish handled that quite differently. Can look at my girlfriend as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City