Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:57 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I once had $30,000 mysteriously appear in my bank account . I didn't spend it or do anything about it and it eventually disappeared in much the same way as it had originally appeared. It was what they called a clerical error.
I remember in Monopoly there was a "chance" card that said "Bank error in your favor: collect xxx dollars"

Talk about a bank error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 08:00 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
agreed, there are too many people in NYC that abuse food stamps.

people who have $500 phones and they shouldn't be able to buy that if they are on food stamps.
It would be hilarious if all Benefit cards quit working for a week. I know, I'm awful.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 AM

371 posts, read 526,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It would be hilarious if all Benefit cards quit working for a week. I know, I'm awful.
that would be excellent, I think everyone should have to work and not get free handouts. unfortunately, if that happens, kids will starve to death and then you will have single moms crying on TV saying that the city killed the children.

They will sue the city and then just get the money that way. They can just spend the money on themselves that way.

My turn to be awful. its true though. I sweat that people have kids just so they can game the system.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:47 AM

115 posts, read 165,418 times
^^^Um, people who qualify for foodstamps also work.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacygirl19 View Post
In January I went back to work and notified social Services. So in Feb I should not have gotten any money. I sent in my paystubs as I am way over the income limit now with my hubby and me working (66K+). I also sent in a letter saying I no longer need food stamps. Come Feb $450.00 is put on my card again. I assumed they may be backed up. Now I just log on to check and see another $40.00 is scheduled to be deposited April 1 !!!
Obviously I am not touching that money since I don't want to get hit with an overpayment latter. But whats up with them? I am over the income limit and I asked them to end my benefits? Is this normal? anyone have experience with them? this is NYC
That $450 is probably for the entire previous month when you werent working and the $40 is for that part of the last month you werent working, A phone call to the food stamp office should resolve the issue...

Old 03-29-2015, 11:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is a "real reason" she should not use the benefits.
She already notified them she did not need the benefits any longer.
The money will not go to waste, it will be used for someone else when her case is closed.

People with your attitude are the reason the system is so mucked up.
If you do not need the help there is no reason the use the help.
Unless of course you are lazy and don't think it is a bad thing to be a thief.
No it is not. She already reported it and you are allowed to get food stamps for a certain period of time after starting a new job. Her using or not using food stamps in this case is not going to make or break the HRA budget.

She's not stealing and she reported her change in income. There's no problem with her spending the stamps.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
And the government would give them benefits for that period of time the card didn't work.............so in the end you've done nothing with that scenario.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
You could not be more wrong here! What you are suggesting is what OP is avoiding as she is HONEST. She knows just based on her post that using it would be wrong. Like she said she knows she is no longer eligible & wishes to do the right thing. What you are telling her to do is go ahead it's OK to commit fraud..use the money. WOW! It is people that think like that that have destroyed it for the honest folks out there. When they re-certify her they will see that she stopped using the benefits as soon as she knew she was no longer eligible. I say kudos to her...not everyone would do that. If you wan to commit fraud do it yourself! But never ever tell others to do the same. If she uses it at this point being that she said she ALREADY contacted them she very well could be accused of fraud..

In this case it likely would be considered a federal crime..with charges.
Actually if she has a new job and it pays a certain amount of money she cannot recertify as she makes too much money to qualify for the benefits.

She reported her new job to them and they are aware of it, there's a grace period to rebudget or close her case (or they simply may not renew till recertification). So in this case there is nothing wrong with her spending her food stamps and she will not get in trouble for using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: