Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,408 times

Advertisements

If you don't use it you can avoid any future trouble. I am sure you have to re-certify every so often. When it comes time to do that & you get the letter then deal with it then. I am sure if you are no longer eligible & tell them you have not used it as they can see evidence in the fact that the $$ are still on the card unused & cancel it. Have you spoken directly with the worker that was assigned to your case when you applied? Usually a simple call to them should yield eventual results in a few months. Wait a few months & then call to see & likely all will be fine & all $$ would have been removed by then. It does take some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 PM

371 posts, read 526,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You are a person of integrity.
agreed, there are too many people in NYC that abuse food stamps.

people who have $500 phones and they shouldn't be able to buy that if they are on food stamps.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:35 AM

115 posts, read 165,466 times
Just keep documenting it. Even if you report it lost or stolen, the money may still appear on your account. Eventually they will get it together. They are not known for their efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I once had $30,000 mysteriously appear in my bank account . I didn't spend it or do anything about it and it eventually disappeared in much the same way as it had originally appeared. It was what they called a clerical error.
I had over 12K deposited into my account before randomly. Someone wrote a check with one wrong digit. I opened my account online like lol It disappeared the same way it came a couple weeks later. Anyone who touches that kind of money is a fool.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 AM

Not sure if the OP is returning at all since she only posted 2x on Thursday. But will post this anyway so she might see it.

A relative that works is a worker in the SNAP dept. in Nassau county told me that the benefits will usually continue until it is time to review income again. In this case just don't use the card/benefits & when the time comes tell them exactly what is going on.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:42 AM

493 posts, read 511,789 times
Don't spend it. However, they usually will keep sending the money until re-certification time. You are a good person. They messed up everyones pay check and my co worker was so happy because she could run and use it to apply for food stamps SMH.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Basically social service never immediately cancels SNAP when you get a job or have a change in income. They'll give anywhere from one to three months in benefits, or they may weight until recertification period to simply cancel your benefits.

Actually I don't see why you would feel guilty in spending the money at this point. You legitimately reported your new income to HRA, so it isn't like you committed fraud.

And everyone on this thread is making the OP out to be a saint. She isn't. She fears the consequences of committing welfare fraud. Once you get a job or have a change in income you HAVE to REPORT this to the government.

There's no real reason why she shouldn't spend the food stamps. She reported income to the city, so she fulfilled her part of the obligations.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Not sure if the OP is returning at all since she only posted 2x on Thursday. But will post this anyway so she might see it.

A relative that works is a worker in the SNAP dept. in Nassau county told me that the benefits will usually continue until it is time to review income again. In this case just don't use the card/benefits & when the time comes tell them exactly what is going on.
Which means there's no real reason why she shouldn't spend the benefits. Why let that money go to waste?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:12 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Which means there's no real reason why she shouldn't spend the benefits. Why let that money go to waste?
There is a "real reason" she should not use the benefits.
She already notified them she did not need the benefits any longer.
The money will not go to waste, it will be used for someone else when her case is closed.

People with your attitude are the reason the system is so mucked up.
If you do not need the help there is no reason the use the help.
Unless of course you are lazy and don't think it is a bad thing to be a thief.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You could not be more wrong here! What you are suggesting is what OP is avoiding as she is HONEST. She knows just based on her post that using it would be wrong. Like she said she knows she is no longer eligible & wishes to do the right thing. What you are telling her to do is go ahead it's OK to commit fraud..use the money. WOW! It is people that think like that that have destroyed it for the honest folks out there. When they re-certify her they will see that she stopped using the benefits as soon as she knew she was no longer eligible. I say kudos to her...not everyone would do that. If you wan to commit fraud do it yourself! But never ever tell others to do the same. If she uses it at this point being that she said she ALREADY contacted them she very well could be accused of fraud..

In this case it likely would be considered a federal crime..with charges.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is a "real reason" she should not use the benefits.
She already notified them she did not need the benefits any longer.
The money will not go to waste, it will be used for someone else when her case is closed.

People with your attitude are the reason the system is so mucked up.
If you do not need the help there is no reason the use the help.
Unless of course you are lazy and don't think it is a bad thing to be a thief.
Agree totally! Some people are pathetic...really telling a stranger to commit a federal crime. WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: