Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times

Advertisements

That cop must have thought he was on Blue Bloods or something. He was really tripping and going straight overboard. Maybe he is an alcoholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Police Officers have a tough job. I agree that this officer looks much older than 38. The job ages you quickly. And before you "don't take the job if you can't handle it" crowd get started, I look at this profession like I look at military service. Someone has to do it, and the people that step up to do it have my undying admiration.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 AM

588 posts, read 947,492 times
He went overboard but it was pretty funny.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:39 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Police Officers have a tough job. I agree that this officer looks much older than 38. The job ages you quickly. And before you "don't take the job if you can't handle it" crowd get started, I look at this profession like I look at military service. Someone has to do it, and the people that step up to do it have my undying admiration.
This applies to every single job. There are many high risk paying jobs outside of the police and military. In fact, being a policemen or fireman does not even fall in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the country.

I think policemen and military man deserve respect, like all professionals, but they do not deserve our worship. There is this insane mentality in this country that any slight criticism of police or military means we're unpatriotic liberals. There's a lot of corruption within both the police and the military, and until the blind worship of these institutions stop, we can't start addressing this problem properly.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:04 PM

613 posts, read 463,555 times
^Totally agree. I understand cops put their lives on the line for us everyday, but some of them let their badges go to their heads big time. Their job is to ENFORCE the law, they are not THE law. Some of them get confused and think they can treat people however they like.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:44 PM

518 posts, read 825,793 times
Many South Asian taxi drivers have tales of verbal abuse from police officers at traffic stops. I know one driver who was seen apparently peeing in a bottle while seated in his parked taxi. The cop did not actually see the act but surmised from the body language what was going on in the parked car. Not too cool but also not exactly public urination. The cop did see the bottle after the fact and asked him how he would like it if he were made to drink it, but issued no summons. His purpose was simply to humiliate the driver, just like that bozo last week.

They are strangers in a strange land and some cops view them as safe targets for this sort of abuse. The dwindling number of American born taxi drivers, white or black, are rarely subject to this sort of treatment because certainty of knowledge of what a cop can and cannot do.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:44 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,297,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
Many South Asian taxi drivers have tales of verbal abuse from police officers at traffic stops. I know one driver who was seen apparently peeing in a bottle while seated in his parked taxi. The cop did not actually see the act but surmised from the body language what was going on in the parked car. Not too cool but also not exactly public urination. The cop did see the bottle after the fact and asked him how he would like it if he were made to drink it, but issued no summons. His purpose was simply to humiliate the driver, just like that bozo last week.

They are strangers in a strange land and some cops view them as safe targets for this sort of abuse. The dwindling number of American born taxi drivers, white or black, are rarely subject to this sort of treatment because certainty of knowledge of what a cop can and cannot do.
How many times do cops have to drag drunks out of their cabs? How many times do cab drivers violate the NYS VTL over and over? How many times do cops have to deal with your fare beaters. For every time there is an issue with a cop and a cab driver there are 100 times that the cops help out a cab driver!!! No excuse for what happened and this detective will be an example out of. But the majority of the time cops have to deal with cab drivers bs over and over again!!

Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
I have a feeling the cop felt comfortable going off on this driver because he thought the entire car was filled with people of the same ilk. The passenger in the back with the iphone recording had a similar skin color to the driver, but most certainly was not fresh off the boat. In fact, it's possible he is American-born. The cop saw the skin color of the driver, heard his strongly-accented English, and must have assumed the people in the back were the same.

If the car had been full of recently-immigrated people, the cop probably would have gotten away with this abuse.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:

This is why you should all get summonses for every single infraction instead of warnings. You complain anyway. You more so than anyone else in this city benefit from cops having a quota. Get rid of the stigma cops get for going above the quota and cabbies would be committing suicide from all the summonses they'd get.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:38 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
This was just another road rage incident that just happens to involve a cop. If the cop had been in uniform (and a marked car) then the taxi driver wouldn't have done whatever he did to pisss off the cop and this would have never happened.

BTW, could that cop really have written the taxi driver a ticket? Do non-uniform NYPD investigators like him carry around blank tickets and have the authority to write traffic tickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: