Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 02:45 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

BREAKING NEWS: Governor Cuomo & Bronx Borough President Diaz Jr To Pull Support For FreshDirect; Mayor de Blasio Calls This A Step to End the Tale of Two Cities | Welcome2TheBronx

"After more than 3 years of the community overwhelmingly disapproving of this project, of over 50 community based organizations saying no, Governor Cuomo and Bronx Borough President announced today that the deal will be canceled."

“After years of overwhelming community outcry against this project and their demand and right to a new environmental impact statement instead of relying on a 22 year old one, my office cannot support this project in good conscience any longer,” said Diaz, Jr.

Mayor Bill de Blasio, who campaigned on the promise that he would kill such Bloomberg sweetheart deals like FreshDirect’s said that, “I am grateful for Governor Cuomo and Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr in working with our offices to find a solution to ending this deal that provided corporate welfare to a company that is flush with capital while our small businesses, our mom and pop shops—the lifeblood of our wonderful city—are struggling to survive. The over $140 million in grants and tax subsidies can have a bigger economic positive impact by investing in our communities.”

According to Governor Cuomo, he will direct the Department of Environmental Conservation to grant necessary funding to make the Mott Haven-Port Morris Waterfront Plan a reality, something the agency already made a priority project to consider.

“The Mott Haven-Port Morris Waterfront Plan is a true, grassroots community effort from the ground up which represents the types of community leadership we need.” said de Blasio. “It not only provides area residents with waterfront resiliency but greater access to the waterfront, something that is taken for granted in Manhattan and the other boroughs yet residents of the South Bronx are cut off from. Through the increase of pedestrian traffic heading to the waterfront it will also creating a positive impact for the many businesses located along the way.”

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-01-2015 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Potential rezoning of the site for high end residential?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Activating Nywriterdude.

I can finally breath a little easier. Thank you sobroguy for your efforts against fresh direct. This is probably an April fools day joke.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-01-2015 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM

116 posts, read 145,888 times
Quote:
If You Read This Far…
…you will know that this is satire and nothing of the sort happened and was written for April Fool’s Day—but the harm and the concerns are not satire and is an all to real reality the area’s residents live under. Although it hasn’t happened, it doesn’t mean it can’t and all the concerns listed are real and verifiable.
*sad trombone*

Not true, just an April Fool's Day joke - boo! My hopes shot through the roof when I saw the headline.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie180 View Post
*sad trombone*

Not true, just an April Fool's Day joke - boo! My hopes shot through the roof when I saw the headline.
I know but now you have ruined it for everyone

Good one though,right ? Very Onion.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-01-2015 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 03:44 PM

116 posts, read 145,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I know but now you have ruined it for everyone
Ha! Well if it makes you feel any better, I sat in that auditorium at Hostos back in November to give testimony, so you got ME good! Thankfully I read through the entire article, I was *thisclose* to sharing to FB!

(I prefer my AF jokes to be of the Hulu Pet variety!)

Old 04-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie180 View Post
Ha! Well if it makes you feel any better, I sat in that auditorium at Hostos back in November to give testimony, so you got ME good! Thankfully I read through the entire article, I was *thisclose* to sharing to FB!

(I prefer my AF jokes to be of the Hulu Pet variety!)
I got all excited and fell for it too…..right up to the disclaimer. Why I had to share the fun

Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Sobroguy would have broke out the noisemakers, and threw glitter in the air with glee if it happened

Old 04-01-2015, 07:27 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
What about all the other mega corporations and retailers that are out competing all small mom and pop businesses all around the world let alone all over this country?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Fresh Direct would sue the hell out of the city and the state if they tried something like this. You cannot back out of deals like this.

Cuomo is also Republican lite nothing like this would ever happen under his watch.

Welcome to the Bronx Fresh Direct and construction has already started. They finish construction next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: