Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:24 AM

69 posts, read 157,259 times

Advertisements

Haha I feel like I asked for places in San Francisco and people are recommending me places in Portland in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
you can live in a new condo in fidi for 1500 a month. you will get your own room plus a gym downstairs, with a concierge, great security, train lines, battery park outside, etc. that's what i would do. get a roommate. you have no wife or kid. it's easy when you are single and you don't have to live with roaches or mice.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumberbob View Post
Haha I feel like I asked for places in San Francisco and people are recommending me places in Portland in this thread.
Well that's because you're being unrealistic.

A (legitimate) studio in Brooklyn near Manhattan will be doubled based on your budget. When I think of 'near' Manhattan I only think about the waterfront neighborhoods which includes, Williamsburg/Greenpoint, Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights. I also think about Cobble Hill, Downtown, Boerum Hill and Fort Greene. If you were looking into any of those neighborhoods you have to double your budget. $1400 for a studio in any of those neighborhoods are long gone. LONG. You'd probably need a roommate for a studio in one of those lol.

Otherwise look into Sunset Park, Bushwick and Crown Heights among others. The way Brooklyn is building (and establishments that are already here) as a whole, you'd probably wouldn't need to be near Manhattan after all.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
he will get shot and robbed if he moves to bushwick. the blacks down there even rob their own kind. it's a terrible neighborhood especially as the weather warms up.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 PM

69 posts, read 157,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Well that's because you're being unrealistic.

A (legitimate) studio in Brooklyn near Manhattan will be doubled based on your budget. When I think of 'near' Manhattan I only think about the waterfront neighborhoods which includes, Williamsburg/Greenpoint, Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights. I also think about Cobble Hill, Downtown, Boerum Hill and Fort Greene. If you were looking into any of those neighborhoods you have to double your budget. $1400 for a studio in any of those neighborhoods are long gone. LONG. You'd probably need a roommate for a studio in one of those lol.

Otherwise look into Sunset Park, Bushwick and Crown Heights among others. The way Brooklyn is building (and establishments that are already here) as a whole, you'd probably wouldn't need to be near Manhattan after all.
If I'm being unrealistic then I suppose the answer to my question is no. That's where I'm looking, not Washington Heights.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Brooklyn near manhattan is unrealistic. Maybe in Queens near Manhattan if you search hard enough. You could get a studio in the Bronx near Manhattan!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times
People are so negative sometimes. Can you? Yes. Will it be easy? Maybe. It depends. If you're willing to pay a brokers fee and are good at the apartment hunt game you definitely can. Without the brokers fee it will be MUCH harder.

Here's an example: $1350 in Prospect Heights - maybe not what you mean by really close to Manhattan, but it's in a good spot transportation-wise and would be a quick commute into Manhattan.
$1300 in Greenpoint

I had a huge one bedroom in Clinton Hill (true Clinton Hill, not Bed Stuy) for $1295 that I lived in for a couple of years. It was rent controlled. That's the key is to find something like that. I paid a one month brokers fee for it.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
People are so negative sometimes. Can you? Yes. Will it be easy? Maybe. It depends. If you're willing to pay a brokers fee and are good at the apartment hunt game you definitely can. Without the brokers fee it will be MUCH harder.

Here's an example: $1350 in Prospect Heights - maybe not what you mean by really close to Manhattan, but it's in a good spot transportation-wise and would be a quick commute into Manhattan.
$1300 in Greenpoint

I had a huge one bedroom in Clinton Hill (true Clinton Hill, not Bed Stuy) for $1295 that I lived in for a couple of years. It was rent controlled. That's the key is to find something like that. I paid a one month brokers fee for it.
I wouldn't say Prospect Heights or Clinton Hill are close to Manhattan. Hence the lower price.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
You can find one in Harlem or Inwood, if you know where and how to look.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM

155 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I wouldn't say Prospect Heights or Clinton Hill are close to Manhattan. Hence the lower price.
Plus that apartment isn't even really in Prospect Heights. It's Crown Heights but still a fairly quick ride to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City