Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:41 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disparitybydesign View Post
Hello. I am currently interested in moving to Chinatown because I recently picked up a job in downtown, near the Freedom Tower and Chinatown is the perfect distance away from my new building, especially since I can just hop on a quick train ride down to there. However, I have two young kids, ages 4 and 7, and do not feel comfortable about discussing the topic of race with them at such an innocent age. I am worried that they will ask questions about the Chinese traditions that they may come across while living there. I do not want to start conversations with them about different races and would much rather shield them from the topic altogether. So what areas of Chinatown don't have many Chinese people in it? Is there a specific area where all the whites only live? Thanks fo your help.
This is most definitely one of the more silly of question threads I've ever seen. Don't worry, your kids are going to have far more troubles in life, and that has more to do with having you as a parent. Seriously, have you even ever been to Chinatown? Or even NYC for that matter? The neighborhood is freaking called Chinatown. It can't get more frank than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 05:33 PM

55 posts, read 74,960 times
Quote:
However, I have two young kids, ages 4 and 7, and do not feel comfortable about discussing the topic of race with them at such an innocent age. I am worried that they will ask questions about the Chinese traditions that they may come across while living there.
I'm curious, what exactly is the "topic of race"? In NYC you will encounter people who are ethnically Russian, Jewish, African, Albanian, Chinese, Korean, and the list goes on.

Also, Chinatown isn't exactly Asia where you will find Buddhist temples all around and people chanting and lighting incense and doing rituals in the street. The cultural elements that you might be unfamiliar with are the languages you'll hear on the street, the food in the grocery stores and the food in the restaurants. Are you concerned that your children will ask questions for which you have no answer? What an educational opportunity for your family!

Old 04-08-2015, 04:52 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Hilarious. I can't wait to hear how you're planning to skirt discussions of sex.

There are other places that are also a "short train ride," you know.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
So what areas of Chinatown don't have many Chinese people in it? Is there a specific area where all the whites only live? Thanks fo your help.
Ni hao (that's "howdy" in Chinese).

Chinatown is part of the Lower East Side, a neighborhood that traditionally housed immigrants from all over the world. 100 years later, this has not changed. NY is an immigrant city, so if you're looking for a white bread existence you're headed for the wrong place.

If you're still determined to come here, and would like to fit in, I suggest you expand your horizons and get to know people belonging to different ethnic groups from your own. There's nothing to fear, and you'll discover that good friends come in all colors.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
I don't see why you would want to avoid any specific race. Eventually you will bump into them one way or the other.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:25 AM

113 posts, read 216,648 times
racist ignorant fool. that sums it up! go try brownsville brooklyn. def wont' have much chinese over there. guaranteed! or your money back

Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 PM

147 posts, read 197,777 times
Quote:
I do not want to start conversations with them about different races and would much rather shield them from the topic altogether. So what areas of Chinatown don't have many Chinese people in it? Is there a specific area where all the whites only live? Thanks fo your help.

So I see, your one of those white people who don't see race. Unless you going to throw your kids in a private all white school, like back in the Jim Crow era, you going have to bring explain things to them.

What you can do is move to a hipster neighborhood, mostly whites there, but than you'll probably have to explain to them why two grown men are holding hands.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweightbaby View Post
racist ignorant fool. that sums it up! go try brownsville brooklyn. def wont' have much chinese over there. guaranteed! or your money back
Def, but there are Chinese takeout places in Brownsville fo sho! I answered the OP but this is troll thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City