Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Exactly they'll be studying the classics while these underclass kids will be studying to produce mere test results in the name of progress.
At the same time, there is nothing wrong with training in a trade at all - it's not that.

There is everything wrong with this being the only option for a growing number of children given an accident of birth that put them in a certain place.

I would actually argue that ALL students should have a very solid foundation, whether they go the university route or pursue a trade.

It is absolutely the case that fewer children are given the opportunity for exposure to history, literature, classics.

The connection with value extraction - value creation - it will fail, just like the value extraction model is failing in economics. If nothing else, we can no longer afford to waste all of the minds that are given too few options. It's not just an ethical dilemma but a fundamentally practical one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,they will be studying to produce profits,big profits, for the corporate education complex.
And this is exactly the case. I very much agree. The training includes socialization to accept this and methods to escape from the acceptance.

My job, when I help out in tutoring programs ...? Train never to accept.
Sort of counter-socialization if you will.

I feel very strongly about educational justice and I am quite involved.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
The whole point is about choice and accountability. If a charter school sucks it gets shut down, if you as a parent feel a charter doesn't fit the the specific needs of your child you go to another one. There's so many poor black children who are locked into terrible schools with no way out. It's easy for someone who has money to afford private schools or sends their kids to elite public schools in the suburbs to say "well its not that bad"

Old 04-07-2015, 12:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The whole point is about choice and accountability. If a charter school sucks it gets shut down, if you as a parent feel a charter doesn't fit the the specific needs of your child you go to another one. There's so many poor black children who are locked into terrible schools with no way out. It's easy for someone who has money to afford private schools or sends their kids to elite public schools in the suburbs to say "well its not that bad"
Indeed. While some in public education feel that parent choice could cost them their jobs. Which it should if they do them poorly. So now more poor kids have choices and this will continue to spread.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Indeed. While some in public education feel that parent choice could cost them their jobs. Which it should if they do them poorly. So now more poor kids have choices and this will continue to spread.
Insanely stupid. I know hundreds of public school teachers and they very much want the parents to be involved. It is the administrators who fear for their jobs, but the comic book from which you lifted your definitions probably did not explain what "administration" might be.

You have no idea what you are talking about and not even a clue about the terms of the debate. It's not even an "opinion" problem.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:39 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The privatization of education would likely allocate far less to poor children, as they cost far more to educate.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:53 PM

577 posts, read 900,192 times
I read this article and was wondering if the 64/94 pass rate is for all the SA charters or just one? Also what grades are these numbers for? In Waiting for Superman one of the experts interviewed said that up to 5th grade disadvantaged kids tend to do ok but it's after 5th grade that they bottom out. And since SA now has a 9th grade (I think? not sure in how many schools) how are their regents?

It is surprising with such high state pass rates (again which schools/ which grades?) they didn't produce any students who could do well on the SHSAT.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:08 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Slackers need to be kicked to the curb.

No different than corporate america.

Survival of the fittest. Kids need to be taught this as early as possible.

The asians and indians picked up on it and look at how they have adjusted.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Insanely stupid. I know hundreds of public school teachers and they very much want the parents to be involved. It is the administrators who fear for their jobs, but the comic book from which you lifted your definitions probably did not explain what "administration" might be.

You have no idea what you are talking about and not even a clue about the terms of the debate. It's not even an "opinion" problem.
Actually it is ridiculous to argue with me on this issue. Cuomo is expanding funds available to Charter schools and they are getting good results. There is nothing you can do to stop this, and nothing any of the pro public education system types on this thread can do to stop this.

The city has shut down underperforming public schools, and with more funding going to Charter Schools clearly this is a long term threat to public school administrators AND teachers who don't produce results.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Slackers need to be kicked to the curb.

No different than corporate america.

Survival of the fittest. Kids need to be taught this as early as possible.

The asians and indians picked up on it and look at how they have adjusted.
It's already happening, to great effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City