Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:12 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC still has net population growth.

NYC is getting rid of a lot of it's poor people and other undesirables and dumping them in certain Southern states. Of course this won't be good for the Southern states that take in these people.

The old people who go to the South to retire are low income. The Southern states will eventually have to raise taxes to cover the medicaid and social services expenses.
Maybe the part that I bolded is a bit on the value-laden/bigoted end of the scale? I'm continually amazed at the stuff people post that would be better sequestered in the "keep it to yourself" part of their [tiny] brains.

And by the way, "it's" is a contraction for "it is" - OP should have said "a lot if its". If bad grammar is undesirable, the OP may be on the next bus headed south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:14 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
That poster has variously claimed to be "black" or "not black" as the needs of the thread dictated.
You must be in that group I was speaking of.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:

NYC is getting rid of a lot of it's poor people and other undesirables and dumping them in certain Southern states. Of course this won't be good for the Southern states that take in these people.

The old people who go to the South to retire are low income. The Southern states will eventually have to raise taxes to cover the medicaid and social services expenses.
NYC's poor are still here. They've just been placed in the far reaches of the city where they cant be seen by "polite" society.

The people who left were still basically middle to upper class. Those who could afford to go did, those who can't are still here.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
NYC's poor are still here. They've just been placed in the far reaches of the city where they cant be seen by "polite" society.

The people who left were still basically middle to upper class. Those who could afford to go did, those who can't are still here.
Yes and no.

It actually doesn't cost much to leave NYC. An airplane or a bus ticket is all you need. Now what comes next is a whole different story but there have always been plenty of poor people who leave NYC.

Particularly if they have family or friends who can take them in. You don't need a job to leave.

A lot of poor retirees on social security or who couldn't afford to buy property leave as well.

Of course no city will ever be poor free, but if the poor who lived in Manhattan or in Western Brooklyn or Western Queens many have been pushed out of the city altogether and others are in those fringe areas.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
i do not love nyc, don't hate it either. it's just a place on earth that i happen to be AND where i can live a very comfortable life based on my needs that i have grown accustomed to: absolutely no car/bike required for anything, great super markets (stop and shop is very cheap), lots of doctors around, a good mix of races so it's balanced, and the most important, the SNOW and cold weather. if i were raised in another state though, i would say vice versa. ppl. like me who have the needs i mentioned (or the wants which i turned into needs i guess) will not leave. i *would* leave if i could but again there are no jobs out there. not me competing against illegal mexicans on top of h1b indians coming to the country to take away citizens' jobs. not gonna happen. also this survey does not count the flood of illegals (like someone said above) coming into the city every year. those mexicans are also popping out many babies per family on tax payer dime. they certainly aren't leaving so for every guy who leaves the city, another mexican baby is born. this is not even an exaggeration. i do not believe this survey. those numbers are fudged for propaganda reasons.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
BBw? That stands for bareback way? Withoux condoms? Wow you know how she does it from personal experience? Soon we will hear how Bronxguyanese has to pay Marilyn child support.��

Haha, very corny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
big black woman = bbw or big busty woman - bbw

how did you come up with bareback way???
That is a good question? How can someone who went to an Ivy league school not know the acronynm of BBW but assumes its bare back. Maybe he thought it was bare back wildebeest, or bare back wolverine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I never said I was the stereotype that many on this board envision black women to be.

I am in no way fat or the accepted "thick" like some like to say.

I take care of myself physically. I can bend down and see my toes with no obstructions. Lol

It's really sad that the only black women you come across in this city look like what you just described.

Who DOESN'T desire hot men or women?

You have guys on here who are clearly 3s and 5s getting upset when 8s, 9s and 10s refuse to give them the time of day. Like Dude, seriously?? Stick with women in your "range" like you're supposed to and you won't have those issues.

I'm not conceited, but I can definitely hold my own.
I'm born and raised in this city and I have observed and experimented with some local specimen. I even observed the women in my family go through similar tribulations of desiring a hot guy, have a baby and relationship tanks. I don't envision black women its women in general in the city but mainly local ones. I can probably make bets on a chubby chick with a hot guy, baby on the way and relationship falte3rs two to three years later. But again nothing wrong with that, its whatever floats your boat. I usually don't portray black women, but in NYC its a different animal that where dealing with!

So you can bend down to your feet you say? That is a sight to probably behold.

As for me hitting on 8,9s and 10,? I have had more success with 8,9s and 10s, than I had with 5, 6s or 7s which their is a lot of that here in NYC. Evens 2,3 and 4s have better attitude than 5,6 and 7s who think they are hot stuff and desire hot guys. The only place where there is an high concentration of hot women is around FIT.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Haha, very corny!

That is a good question? How can someone who went to an Ivy league school not know the acronynm of BBW but assumes its bare back. Maybe he thought it was bare back wildebeest, or bare back wolverine.
Man you two were making wildebeest noises when you barebacked. City Data baby on the way!!!!

Old 04-08-2015, 01:46 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:

I disagree. You're out of touch with reality with your opinion of the city and the poor. Right now in NYC it's good to be poor, or filthy rich. If NYC was so fixated in getting rid of the low income, the inclusionary housing programs, wouldn't exist. "Supportive housing" would be impossible to get. There would be more obstacles in making NYC unaffordable. Not all of the areas, that the poor are in, and are moving to, are bad.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I disagree. You're out of touch with reality with your opinion of the city and the poor. Right now in NYC it's good to be poor, or filthy rich. If NYC was so fixated in getting rid of the low income, the inclusionary housing programs, wouldn't exist. "Supportive housing" would be impossible to get. There would be more obstacles in making NYC unaffordable. Not all of the areas, that the poor are in, and are moving to, are bad.
The inclusionary housing programs can take years to get into.

And there are there in order to give tax breaks to developers. Are you speaking of the 80/20s or the 70/30s? They tore down tenements in Manhattan and replaced them with luxury housing in which only a small percentage of people were low income. Politically it would have been too difficult to just give tax credits to luxury housing.

Also the 20 or 30 isn't necessarily poor. They can range from poor to middle income. I've seen affordable housing posting for people making from 18k to 80k. Again it could take years to get in this stuff.

The 900 affordable housing units in Hunters Point? 100,000 people applied. For 50 affordable units on the Grand Concourse? 50,000 people applied.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
/\ Dude, your wrong and you know it. NYC absolutley rolls out the red carpet for the very poor. I'm not here to judge wither it's good or bad since I see it as a partly morality issue which is of course private. However, just discussing sheer facts here, NY politicos have built a formidable political and economic machine out of managing poverty (Harlem Resident, as usual, is on point) and it's not going away any time soon.

The people leaving are the same people who have been leaving NY since WWII. Working class up through Upper-Middle class people who are the children/grandchildren of immigrants and are looking for "Americana". The main difference is 30-40 years ago the people leaving where largely white and now it's a mix of white/black/PRcian/some Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City