Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:00 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

Not everyone thrives in traditional public schools, in fact many, many don't. The culture of alternative public schools, namely, the Charters, is working out excellently for many minority kids who otherwise wouldn't have a chance due to the structural cultural limitations of the traditional schools.

Its a travesty that people are trying to take that away from the Charter school kids instead of just focusing on the huge eff-up that the traditional schools are as a group (individual good schools acknowledged. If anything, the presence of Charters has also helped the traditional schools because after sitting in the mortuary for years people have finally become motivated to say "we can do well too" and try to fix them. After 40 years of doing eff-all to fix them.

In other words, tend to your own garden and stop criticizing how the neighbors are doing theirs.

Patronizing white upper middle class people protest against the minority-filled charters makes my stomach turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Not everyone thrives in traditional public schools, in fact many, many don't. The culture of alternative public schools, namely, the Charters, is working out excellently for many minority kids who otherwise wouldn't have a chance due to the structural cultural limitations of the traditional schools.

Its a travesty that people are trying to take that away from the Charter school kids instead of just focusing on the huge eff-up that the traditional schools are as a group (individual good schools acknowledged. If anything, the presence of Charters has also helped the traditional schools because after sitting in the mortuary for years people have finally become motivated to say "we can do well too" and try to fix them. After 40 years of doing eff-all to fix them.

In other words, tend to your own garden and stop criticizing how the neighbors are doing theirs.

Patronizing white upper middle class people protest against the minority-filled charters makes my stomach turn.
Charter school success is a lie. Most don't do better than traditional schools and those that do have tremendous advantages. For that reason alone, you can't compare charters and traditional schools. Charters were supposed to be alternatives for kids struggling in public schools that was supposed to collaborate with traditional schools. Instead, charters are merely PR driven investments for white wealthy people who believe they know better than everyone else and try to tell those of us that live and work with the poor that we need to be more "understanding". Your stomach should be turning, but it's unfortunate that you blame the wrong people and fall for the media savvy charter campaign.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:38 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Charter school success is a lie. Most don't do better than traditional schools and those that do have tremendous advantages. For that reason alone, you can't compare charters and traditional schools. Charters were supposed to be alternatives for kids struggling in public schools that was supposed to collaborate with traditional schools. Instead, charters are merely PR driven investments for white wealthy people who believe they know better than everyone else and try to tell those of us that live and work with the poor that we need to be more "understanding". Your stomach should be turning, but it's unfortunate that you blame the wrong people and fall for the media savvy charter campaign.
I have not yet understood how it could be that people do not know this.

The fourth- and fifth-rate universities and colleges are involved in the same sorts of strategies.
And there it isn't just the for-profit schools.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:02 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
Secret of charter success: teacher revolving door. Staff attrition, without concern for why it happens.

Grind brand new teachers into the ground, demanding more work without limit. Pay them less than traditional schools, for a few less discipline headaches. Prohibit unions, so job conditions never change and she's constantly ill-at-ease/manipulable over job security. When the burnt-out young teacher quits after Year One, believing it's all her fault, just hire a new one panting for her job in the "progressive" place. When parents ask, just say "It wasn't a good fit."

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 07-30-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Secret of charter success: teacher revolving door. Staff attrition, without concern for why it happens.

Grind brand new teachers into the ground with unending expectations of evermore work. Pay less than traditional schools, for a few less discipline headaches. Prohibit unions, so job conditions never change and she's constantly ill-at-ease/manipulable over job security. When the burnt-out young teacher quits after Year One, believing it's all her fault, just hire a new one panting for her job in the "progressive" place. When parents ask, just say "It wasn't a good fit."
Did you know that one of the principals committed suicide not so long ago ?

Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
No! That's terrible. But I'm not surprised. What a pressure-cooker.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM

113 posts, read 383,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well it looks like Charter Schools in the city, at least the Success group of Charter Schools are dramatically raising test results and other standards among Blacks and Hispanics.
Nice to see that it took the socialites to catch up to the Catholic schools. They were educating all regardless of color or creed 100 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think the public schools have things they should learn from Success.
And it is that lack of humility which has earned them much criticism. Tell me one thing the charter's do, pedagogically not theologically, that the Catholic schools weren't already doing without half of the resources????

Old 07-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogden Assassin View Post
Nice to see that it took the socialites to catch up to the Catholic schools. They were educating all regardless of color or creed 100 years ago.

And it is that lack of humility which has earned them much criticism. Tell me one thing the charter's do, pedagogically not theologically, that the Catholic schools weren't already doing without half of the resources????

Must agree on both counts, product of a Jesuit school myself.

Except - they were much better academically than most of the charters.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogden Assassin View Post

Catholic schools are also going out of business.

One must pay tuition to go to a Catholic school. The charter schools are free. I personally would rather my kid to go a charter school than a Catholic school as I have no desire to have any affiliation whatsoever with the Catholic church.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Eva Moskowtiz's operations apparently do well, and her schools have gotten great results. The results of these wealthy white people speak for themselves?

And why would my stomach turn? For undergraduate and now grad school I attend universities endowed by wealthy white people. I am not opposed to educational institutions funded by them, in fact I personally greatly benefited from them.

Speak for YOURSELF about the stomach turning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: