Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:20 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Traffic court judges are not held to the same procedural rules as criminal/supreme/family court judges. There is no prosecutor, only the cop represents the state, and cops aren't expected to have the same level of understanding of legalese as attorneys are. The administrative judges (they aren't even true judges) have a lot of leeway in determining guilt. He will be found guilty if his only argument is the NY/NJ angle, of that I am 100% sure as I have seen it tried numerous times over the course of well over 1000 appearances in traffic court in NYC.

But nowadays, "blame the cop" seems to be society's answer to everything, so who knows...
Depends how the ticket is written, If it's the standard NYS equipment violation his argument is...

Chapter 775, Title III, Article 9, Section 375, Subdivision 12 begins with... 12. It shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway or street in this state any motor vehicle registered in New York state ... which then goes on to measure light transmission in windows.

Here is a copy of my NJ Registration at the time of the incident.
This ticket was written in error. I seek dismissal as my car was not registered in NYS.

OP, please let the forum know the details of the violation. (What citation #)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 03:01 PM

147 posts, read 197,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljean View Post
Nope I wasn't doing anything else. I think he was a rookie bc there was another officer with him telling him what to do. That and he did not ask me for my license only until he realized he did not have it once he got back into his patrol car. I'll fight it and let you guys know what happened.

Thanks everyone!
LOL! yea, my buddy is a cop, and If i recall it correctly, they can't, or wont, pull you over for just for tinted window cause its not moving violation. so fight it, chances are he will slip up in traffic court and you will be found not guility without having to say anything.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 PM

76 posts, read 345,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Depends how the ticket is written, If it's the standard NYS equipment violation his argument is...

Chapter 775, Title III, Article 9, Section 375, Subdivision 12 begins with... 12. It shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway or street in this state any motor vehicle registered in New York state ... which then goes on to measure light transmission in windows.

Here is a copy of my NJ Registration at the time of the incident.
This ticket was written in error. I seek dismissal as my car was not registered in NYS.

OP, please let the forum know the details of the violation. (What citation #)

Wow that was perfect! Lol thanks!

375-12a(b)

Both of them have that.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Good luck. As long as everyone is honest you should prevail. I once got a Federal driving ticket, outside NYC but in NY. I was slightly worried but when I went to court a female prosecutor came over to me and said they don't enforce Federal laws and she dismissed it.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:56 PM

Lol, I got scheduled for next year!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 PM

415 posts, read 514,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Blame the cop... the cop had no right to write that nonsense in the first place.
Anyway I think NYC traffic court could possibly be a no laws free for all as you speak but hope it is not.

You could always make them bring the cop into "court" or other strategies. I once had a ticket that I just threw away and finally had to go answer it about 5 years later. The cop came in and just told the judge he writes hundreds of tickets a day and didn't remember anything from 5 years ago and the "judge" dismissed it.

You needs some luck too but it is a masqueraded costume ball quite a bit.

I would still fight it every way possible. Its just a money grab.
You should refrain from offering advice for matters which you have no knowledge of.

For this sort of violation, the ticket itself serves as the accusatory instrument and you have no right to make them bring the cop to court.

That said, a NYC police officer has no business writing a tint summons from a foreign registered vehicle.

The tint summons must be dismissed.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 PM

Just out of curiosity: was the cop a minority?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Just out of curiosity: was the cop a minority?
Yeah he was black and his partner I think Hispanic. I'm Hispanic as well.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljean View Post
Yeah he was black and his partner I think Hispanic. I'm Hispanic as well.
If you asked me how I knew the cop wasn't white, you'd be offended.

Typical and disturbing.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
If you asked me how I knew the cop wasn't white, you'd be offended.

Typical and disturbing.
I know what you mean.
It's Mostly with females though, I never imagined a guy especially with his attitude. A very bitchy one.

And I know he scheduled the hearing a year in advance (probably the latest he could've scheduled it) with hopes I'd forget and not show up.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City