Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM

76 posts, read 345,202 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I need some advice from you guys. I recently got pulled over and ticketed for tinted Windows in NYC.

I was driving my Uncles car which is registered in NJ with NJ plates.

Even though I told the officer is not my car and I was only using it for the weekend he didn't care and still ticketed me. He said he read 6% tint in the front, I asked my uncle and he said he put 20%.

I was thinking maybe I can contest it. I want to say that it was an unlawful stop because NY law exempts vehicles from other states from following equipment laws thus the officer had no right to stop me simply for tints considering he is not required to know NJ tint laws or enforce them.

I'd contest them and say it is legal in NJ but unfortunately it is not.

Any links to any laws that would help me would be appreciated.

Also he gave me two tickets, one for each front window so if my first argument fails can it be reduced to just one ticket?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:44 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
So tint is not legal in New Jersey but you want to contest the ticket in New York because you don't have to follow the laws in New York even though it is illegal in the state the vehicle is registered?

Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So tint is not legal in New Jersey but you want to contest the ticket in New York because you don't have to follow the laws in New York even though it is illegal in the state the vehicle is registered?
I want to dismiss the ticket by saying it was an unlawful stop. Or at least reduce it to one ticket.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:49 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
So go to court and present your case and see what happens.
No one here would have any idea what a Judge will decide.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So go to court and present your case and see what happens.
No one here would have any idea what a Judge will decide.
I am looking for links to laws and experience with similar situation...

Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times
New York Vehicle and Traffic Laws, section 375 (12-a) (b)

Quote:
No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street: (1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent
What is legal in New Jersey or anywhere else does not matter. You're operating the vehicle in New York, you must follow New York's laws.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
New York Vehicle and Traffic Laws, section 375 (12-a) (b)

What is legal in New Jersey or anywhere else does not matter. You're operating the vehicle in New York, you must follow New York's laws.
I'm not looking to debate the laws but this I know for a fact. Out of state vehicles are exempt from following NY equipment laws as long as it is legal in the home state.
Example
You can't ticket a person driving a car from PA because he has one license plate because in PA only the back plate is required.

N.Y. VAT. LAW § 250 : NY Code - Section 250: Exemption of non-resident owners and operators

Old 04-12-2015, 09:46 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljean View Post
I'm not looking to debate the laws but this I know for a fact. Out of state vehicles are exempt from following NY equipment laws as long as it is legal in the home state.
But you yourself said it was not legal even in NJ. Consider this an early warning to get the tint changed because eventually you'll get ticketed in NJ as well.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:07 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljean View Post
Example
You can't ticket a person driving a car from PA because he has one license plate because in PA only the back plate is required.

N.Y. VAT. LAW § 250 : NY Code - Section 250: Exemption of non-resident owners and operators
From your own link:

Quote:
1. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision three of this section, the provisions of this chapter relative to the registration and equipment of motor vehicles, motorcycles and trailers and the display of registration numbers shall not apply to a motor vehicle, motorcycle or trailer owned by a non-resident of this state, provided that the owner thereof shall have complied with the provisions of the law of the foreign country, state, territory or federal district of his residence relative to registration and equipment of such motor vehicle
You've already admitted that your window tints are not legal in Jersey. Therefore you do not meet the qualifications for the exemptions allowed in the above paragraph.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
I have received tickets in NY that the judge threw out immediately because NY had no jurisdiction over it. Cops will write tickets to justify themselves but many of them might not be legal.

For instance once with a PA car, PA extended inspections for another month due to bad winter weather. Got a NYC ticket. Judge said NY has no jurisdiction on out of state, dismissed it no questions asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City