Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,334,860 times

Advertisements

Any opinions on 1770 Grand Concourse?

It's a luxury building with decent rents. Really nice.

1770 Grand Concourse: Mount Hope Apartments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM

231 posts, read 399,217 times
It's the hood. All the nice parts of Bx are in higher numbers (230s- 260s west for Riverdale and east for Woodlawn) plus Morris Park, Country Club, City Island and Pelham Parkway...besides that the Bronx is a hole.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
It's the hood. All the nice parts of Bx are in higher numbers (230s- 260s west for Riverdale and east for Woodlawn) plus Morris Park, Country Club, City Island and Pelham Parkway...besides that the Bronx is a hole.
I grew up in Brooklyn and there are really no hoods left. You have blocks that are hot but not entire neighborhoods like it was in the past. The number of bad spots are dwindling as well.

I can't be the only white boy who attends grad school with an NYC median income job looking in the Bronx.
It stands to reason that there have to be others like me as well.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 PM

33,351 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Apartments look nice but the area's not gentrified yet...so aside from the crime rate, don't know how the amenities are in the area, like good take-out, etc.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,968,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I grew up in Brooklyn and there are really no hoods left. You have blocks that are hot but not entire neighborhoods like it was in the past. The number of bad spots are dwindling as well.

I can't be the only white boy who attends grad school with an NYC median income job looking in the Bronx.
You are right but such people usually make the decision to go further North.The area you are talking about is pretty bad.If you really want the GC stay between 150 and 165 st or go up into the 200s in the Bedford Park/Mosholu Parkway area.

There are a couple of ok buildings on the GC in the area you are talking about that are specifically for Bronx Lebanon Hospital interns but the neighborhood sucks otherwise. I would live there only if I were an intern At Bronx Leb and I knew I had to be beck and forth to the hospital at all hours and needed to be very close by.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,809,039 times
I don't know why people try to say the South Bronx is bad and the North Bronx is good.

Wakefield, Williamsbridge, Eastchester, and Baychester are all pretty bad and they are North Bronx.

The South Bronx is getting massive investment from developers, from companies and start ups moving in,etc. It's not a matter of one being good and one being bad.

The South Bronx is closer to Manhattan and this can be a major factor if the OP works or goes to school in Manhattan.

The area isn't that far from 161st Street and Grand Concourse. There's a movie theatre there, some grocery stores, drug stores, mini mall, etc.

Not the nice style stores in gentrified areas, but they are more than sufficient. You are smart to be considering this AREA NOW before gentrification does take full effect.

By the time New Yorkers tell you a neighborhood is nice getting a good return on your investment from purchasing is nearly impossible.

The neighborhoods with the highest violent crime rate are still in Brooklyn. And even the violent crime rate did not stop gentrification from hitting Bedstuy big time. The vast majority of violent crimes are those out there living gangster lifestyles.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:23 AM

9,238 posts, read 23,968,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't know why people try to say the South Bronx is bad and the North Bronx is good.

Wakefield, Williamsbridge, Eastchester, and Baychester are all pretty bad and they are North Bronx.

The South Bronx is getting massive investment from developers, from companies and start ups moving in,etc. It's not a matter of one being good and one being bad.

The South Bronx is closer to Manhattan and this can be a major factor if the OP works or goes to school in Manhattan.

The area isn't that far from 161st Street and Grand Concourse. There's a movie theatre there, some grocery stores, drug stores, mini mall, etc.

Not the nice style stores in gentrified areas, but they are more than sufficient. You are smart to be considering this AREA NOW before gentrification does take full effect.

By the time New Yorkers tell you a neighborhood is nice getting a good return on your investment from purchasing is nearly impossible.

The neighborhoods with the highest violent crime rate are still in Brooklyn. And even the violent crime rate did not stop gentrification from hitting Bedstuy big time. The vast majority of violent crimes are those out there living gangster lifestyles.
Nobody said The South Bronx was bad and The North Bronx was good. Nobody mentioned Wakefield,Williamsbridge or Edenwald as an alternative because they are generally the same as the neighborhood the Op asked about.There is a huge difference between The GC in the 160's and the mid 170's which is why I suggested he look there ,say between 800 GC and 1100 GC.The investment you are talking about is not happening in Mt Eden or Mt Hope believe me.

From about 167 st Up to Fordham Rd on The GC and on both sides of it are horrible.

There are plenty of decent areas to live in The Bronx but Mt Eden/Mt Hope isn't one of them.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-14-2015 at 12:40 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 05:26 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,982,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Nobody said The South Bronx was bad and The North Bronx was good. Nobody mentioned Wakefield,Williamsbridge or Edenwald as an alternative because they are generally the same as the neighborhood the Op asked about.There is a huge difference between The GC in the 160's and the mid 170's which is why I suggested he look there ,say between 800 GC and 1100 GC.The investment you are talking about is not happening in Mt Eden or Mt Hope believe me.

From about 167 st Up to Fordham Rd on The GC and on both sides of it are horrible.

There are plenty of decent areas to live in The Bronx but Mt Eden/Mt Hope isn't one of them.
Spot on.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 AM

231 posts, read 399,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

The Bronx has declined significantly. I used to go visit family in Throggs Neck and it was safe and beautiful, now it's the ghetto same with Pelham Bay and Morris Park is getting there too. The Bronx's worst areas like Mott Haven are getting better but the areas that used to be middle class and safe for white people are declining. Riverdale, Woodlawn, and City Island are the only areas I would raise a family in Bx.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 AM

107 posts, read 218,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
The Bronx has declined significantly. I used to go visit family in Throggs Neck and it was safe and beautiful, now it's the ghetto same with Pelham Bay and Morris Park is getting there too. The Bronx's worst areas like Mott Haven are getting better but the areas that used to be middle class and safe for white people are declining. Riverdale, Woodlawn, and City Island are the only areas I would raise a family in Bx.
When I was looking to buy in the Bronx I checked out almost every neighborhood that has a good reputation. It came down to Pelham bay / throggs neck VS Kingsbridge / Riverdale. After much debate, research, walkthroughs and potential I chose Kingsbridge / Riverdale.

You are correct that the Pelham area is declining however I wouldn't say it's ghetto overall, just changing its composure. There are less Italians and more Hispanics moving in day after day. If you watch the area over a quarter you will see houses going up for sale at least 2x week. The old homeowners are selling and moving out. Pelham bay park is very nice.

The Kingsbridge area on the other hand has an extremely stable housing market and I see families much more than any other group. Most are white, second is Asian/hispanic. The recent development of this area is only going to increase property values and rents in the next 5 yearS and with the best schools and safest (50th police precint) area in the Bronx, we happily choose to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City