Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:16 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's not a good area to walk around at night - if I had to compare it to somewhere else in the city, I would say the 90s section of East Flatbush. Same housing stock and same high crime. It's hard to tell which one is actually worse.

And bluedog, interesting about how you bring up how the neighborhood looks - because the housing stock isn't bad. The 90s is mostly the same way - 2 or 3 family brick houses with apartment buildings scattered in here and there. But both neighborhoods are hot as hell.

I got off on Elder Avenue to go to a party one night a few years ago. My hood radar was definitely on.
Exactly…..and both neighborhoods used to be considered pretty good back in the day ….. 20's,30's 40's 50's and into the 60's.

I can see all these neighborhoods coming back some day because of the housing stock. Have no idea how long it might take but neighborhoods like these where the housing stock is still quite solid and reasonably attractive could turn around pretty quickly if the bad element were driven or priced out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 05:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Exactly…..and both neighborhoods used to be considered pretty good back in the day ….. 20's,30's 40's 50's and into the 60's.

I can see all these neighborhoods coming back some day because of the housing stock. Have no idea how long it might take but neighborhoods like these where the housing stock is still quite solid and reasonably attractive could turn around pretty quickly if the bad element were driven out.
One area where this is happening rapidly (value coming back strong because of the housing stock) is immediately east of Flatbush Junction....do a streetview of some of those houses in the East 30s north of Avenue H. Those houses are going for $750K-$1M.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-14-2015, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 11,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

I can see all these neighborhoods coming back some day because of the housing stock. Have no idea how long it might take but neighborhoods like these where the housing stock is still quite solid and reasonably attractive could turn around pretty quickly if the bad element were driven or priced out.
The house does look nice. Solid brick house, two stories, very roomy, have driveway and at an affordable price. Don't know when the area will become nice, but the house price will increase too by then.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyway View Post
The house does look nice. Solid brick house, two stories, very roomy, have driveway and at an affordable price. Don't know when the area will become nice, but the house price will increase too by then.
That's the thing - you have to choose whether you want to become a pioneer or not. A lot of people come on this board for this type of advice, already thinking they can hack it. If hearing gunshots, not being intimidated of certain types of people you see hanging out in the street and things of that nature are not going to bother you, then cool. And unless you have a crystal ball, there's no way to predict how long it will take the change to occur.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 PM

7 posts, read 11,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's the thing - you have to choose whether you want to become a pioneer or not. A lot of people come on this board for this type of advice, already thinking they can hack it. If hearing gunshots, not being intimidated of certain types of people you see hanging out in the street and things of that nature are not going to bother you, then cool. And unless you have a crystal ball, there's no way to predict how long it will take the change to occur.
I hear you and I appreciated all the advice I get from everyone.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 PM

431 posts, read 659,674 times
Not a safe area at all. My aunt used to live in the area and I would always leave her house before it got dark.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:12 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,338 times
Quote:
Hello, I need some input on the block of Elder Ave 6 Train station in Park Versailles. The safety map shows that area as orange. Is it possible the block of 6 train Elder ave station can be safer to live? I went there couple of times during day and evening and saw families walking by. Seems to be quiet area. There are security cameras on big apartment building. Saw big grocery stores and several banks. Is this area getting better? Thank you!
You're really giving that much credence to a map map by a person who isn't even from the Bronx and one full of racial and class overtones?

Old 04-17-2015, 01:26 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Elder Av is a bit 'sketchy'. I have walked along Westchester Ave from Southern Blvd to Parkchester frequently, in the evening! One issue with that area are some of the desolate parts on the western end of the neighborhood, with tire, auto and chops shops along the Bronx River.

With that said, the rule applies as to any neighborhood! Walk along the neighborhood in the early evening, and see how it feels to you. And also important, check the building, apartment, etc! The decision is yours. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Hello, I need some input on the block of Elder Ave 6 Train station in Park Versailles. The safety map shows that area as orange. Is it possible the block of 6 train Elder ave station can be safer to live? I went there couple of times during day and evening and saw families walking by. Seems to be quiet area. There are security cameras on big apartment building. Saw big grocery stores and several banks. Is this area getting better? Thank you!
Horrible! Stay away. That's soundview.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
You're really giving that much credence to a map map by a person who isn't even from the Bronx and one full of racial and class overtones?
The only borough I covered myself was Staten Island. All of the other boroughs, I was just using the input of the posters who actually live in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City