Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:19 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstevens5 View Post
I just pulled the $3,000 as an easy number, I never implied that would actually be anywhere near what he would actually pay. Are you an agent or an investor that you know the market and the behind the scenes so well? I've put in bids for clients in Queens and some have lost out to cash buyers and others were rejected by the board for various reasons. I'm not a high volume agent either, it's not like I've put in hundreds of offers to see these "one off" situations. For example, one was a $250k co-op in Eastern Queens where the couple made several times what the OP made with a much larger down payment. Maybe White Plains is easier, but Queens is still very competitive.
ppl get rejected... it happens... but "extremely difficult to get into queens co-ops?"? requiring a years worth of maint in escrow? stop it...lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
ppl get rejected... it happens... but "extremely difficult to get into queens co-ops?"? requiring a years worth of maint in escrow? stop it...lol...
I'd imagine co-ops in Forest Hills would be the most difficult, and maybe the only Queens area that would give any difficulties to someone who can afford it.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 AM

115 posts, read 165,375 times
Just wanted to say be careful of closing costs. Often they are as much or more than your downpayment in NY.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
Just wanted to say be careful of closing costs. Often they are as much or more than your downpayment in NY.
I doubt that. I paid no more than 3.5k in closing costs for my co op purchase in Queens.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd imagine co-ops in Forest Hills would be the most difficult, and maybe the only Queens area that would give any difficulties to someone who can afford it.
The coops there are generally more picky. Had a friend with a toddler that was rejected not long ago due to unknown reasons. They had combine incomes over 200k and was looking to pay all cash for a 2 bedroom. I think the board probably didn't want more babies in the building.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 AM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
that's just false...

I can't imagine that ever being the case... certainly not "often". Even the bare min 10% downpayment on a 180k coop is 18k, closing costs shouldn't be more than 2k... you're suggesting that they are often 20k or more?

The way people make it seem here I'm surprised ANYONE can own a co-op at all...

Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
that's just false...

I can't imagine that ever being the case... certainly not "often". Even the bare min 10% downpayment on a 180k coop is 18k, closing costs shouldn't be more than 2k... you're suggesting that they are often 20k or more?

Are people getting their closing costs added onto their mortgage? The NYC recording tax a lone is close to 2% of the mortgage amount. So that tax alone would be $3000 on a 160k mortgage.

Not familiar with coops as this may not be needed but for houses the title search plus the "optional" title insurance can add thousands to the cost. But the bulk of the closing cost comes from the NYC mortgage recording tax for people with a sizable mortgage.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
The coops there are generally more picky. Had a friend with a toddler that was rejected not long ago due to unknown reasons. They had combine incomes over 200k and was looking to pay all cash for a 2 bedroom. I think the board probably didn't want more babies in the building.
Could it be race?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM

115 posts, read 165,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I doubt that. I paid no more than 3.5k in closing costs for my co op purchase in Queens.
Quote:
that's just false...

I was thinking more along the lines of a single family. I'm purchasing a single family right now and the closing costs are insane. Between 4 & 6% of the purchase price.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Could it be race?
Maybe, that's another quirk with coops is their blackbox approval process. But this varies a lot from coop to coop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City